New Henry .22 LR

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

New Henry .22 LR

Post by Curmudgeon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:05 pm

I bought a new Henry .22 LR today because I love the quality and feel of this gun so much. Right out of the box, the Walnut has some powder on it. How do I clean the stock when new and maintenance there after?
GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Ballistol, I would suggest using it in the shop or garage though, while it works wonders on wood and metal, it tends to give the little ladies a scowl. :?

Those rifles are great, I'd rather shoot the Henry over the 9422.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:39 am

You will really like it, it is a fun shooter.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 am

Congrats on the HENRY!!! Try HOWARD FEED-N-WAX, you will be pleased. Get two bottles as your wife will run off with yours if she trys it. I get mine from Home Depot in the paint department. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:14 am

KAZ wrote:Congrats on the HENRY!!! Try HOWARD FEED-N-WAX, you will be pleased. Get two bottles as your wife will run off with yours if she trys it. I get mine from Home Depot in the paint department. Regards
Got to try some of that stuff, ain't been shining them just been shooting them.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm

baom, actually I thought about you when I discovered this fine product a few weeks ago because you being an accomplished wood worker would really like the results on more than just rifle stocks. It is a blend of orange oil, carnuba and bees wax. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:50 pm

KAZ wrote:baom, actually I thought about you when I discovered this fine product a few weeks ago because you being an accomplished wood worker would really like the results on more than just rifle stocks. It is a blend of orange oil, carnuba and bees wax. Regards
Just called the local hardware and Yamaha and lawn and garden dealer where I used to work and they have one bottle in stock and it is setting on the desk of the owners son, who I taught to ride a motorcycle many years ago. Still have my employee discount so my prices are always very good. Got to see what happens on my extra Henry Stock and go from there. I love to do the woodworking, building jigs and fixture to make the parts and assemble them is a challenge and fun for me. Finishing is a pain it the butt. Like to use General Finishes stains and finishes and Minwax wipe on poly finished and Formbys tung oil on projects with a lot of small pieces, like the candle lantern shown, made a pair of them for my kitchen and a pair of the schoolhouse clocks also. My youngest daughter has the mate to mine. Image Image Image

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:51 pm

Very nice work!!! You know how to use all that equipment I've seen in the background of your rifle pictures.The Howard Feed & Wax says to wipe it on and allow it to stand for 20 minutes and then buff. It was $7.48 for a 16 oz bottle which isn't to bad for such a quality product. Regards

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:12 am

I like Birchwood Casey's Gunstock Wax for my rifle stock and wood grips. Carnauba and bees wax. Wipes on easy, dries nice. No slime or sticky feel.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:50 am

KAZ wrote:Very nice work!!! You know how to use all that equipment I've seen in the background of your rifle pictures.The Howard Feed & Wax says to wipe it on and allow it to stand for 20 minutes and then buff. It was $7.48 for a 16 oz bottle which isn't to bad for such a quality product. Regards
Picked upa bottle last night , my old employees discount is nicew to have, just under five bucks for the bottle.
Tried some on my extra Henry butt stock and it looks like a winner, should do a good job on the oak doors in my kitchen cabinets too.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Great!!! Your opinion as an accomplished wood-smith counts for more than that of us non pros. I wish that I could take credit for discovering it, but it was the guys buying these old(made in the 50s) 40X rifles that the government has finally sold on the civilian market. Naturally these old stocks are hungry, and the results with the Howard product is amazing. It has out performed the mega expensive Renaissance wax in this application. Regards