Remington 5mm

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

MGB

Remington 5mm

Post by MGB » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Anyone have any expirence with this? I just got an old Remington 592 and tried out some of the new Centurion ammo. Shot a 10 rnd group measuring 7/32" at 25yds.

30gr hp at 2300fps = 352 flbs at the muzzle and 272 flbs @ 100yds.

if it works in the field as advertised it will retire both the .22m and the .17hmr.

MGB
Proud dad of a US Marine

MGB

Post by MGB » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:18 am

Here's a pic of my 5mm

at the range it shoots lie this

In the field it gives good results
Proud dad of a US Marine

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:42 am

That's a nice tube fed bolt rifle, and it shoots well too!

R,
Bullseye

MGB

Post by MGB » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks, it didn't start out that way. In fact when I first saw it, my thought was what did I just buy..... LOL

In short the stock was a mess, someone had scraped the rust off the top of the receiver leaving deep gouges, and there was rust all over inside and out on the internals and below the stock. Some finish on the stock was bubbled too, but the bore cleaned up sparkling clean and the riflings were good..... so there was hope :D
Proud dad of a US Marine

MGB

Post by MGB » Mon May 03, 2010 4:31 pm

So I had this little problem with the scope sliding on the grooves. To resolve it I got a conversion mount for air rifles from standard groove to weaver rail. It clamps the grooves about 3" on each side and I added a third screw to make it tighter. It also has a set screw down through the top to help stop movement and I added a second set screw. So far this seems to be working. IF in the future I detect movement I will dimple the top of the receiver for the set screws to lock into.

One interesting note is how movement occurs. On a locking bolt the movement is toward the front of the receiver. On a non locking bolt as in a semi auto the movement is toward the rear.

Now I know everyone knows about that but I have not had those issues in a long time and when this happened I had to rethink it. Locking bolts move from recoil, and semi autos move by the bolt slamming home. At least that is my observation.

Regards,
MGB
Proud dad of a US Marine