Need 10/22 help

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:58 pm

purchawk wrote:Thanks for the advice.

When I reinstalled the original barrel, the problems disappeared, so I'm sending the Green Mtn. back to Brownell's.
Have you got any news yet on a replacement barrel. Don't really believe in aftermarket barrels as I am not sure the cost/accuracy increase are proportional.
Have not hsoit my DSP since mid December, the temp got up to 39 and sunny toady but when I gopt to the range it was quite breezy, would be nice to shoot in the sunshine, but the range is covered witha roof and is shaded and cooler. We did do a little testing with some of our favorite ammo's though. The DSP, affectionately known as "Sport" is bone stock except for the trigger job by me loacal smith and the addittiponb of a tapped hole in the rear of the trigger for an over travel screw. Gun is not bedded or the barrel floated but ther is a pressure pad about 1/16 thick an inch from the tip of the forened. Gun was last sghted for the Fiocchi #22CRN which accouts for the zero. All ammo shot without any sight adjustments.Image

You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Just to set the record straight the DSP is more or less floated on the barrel. Had some feed problems the other day so, yesterday too out the T and found the problem is mostly in the mags, that target ammo leave a lot of residue to hold up the feed. Did take the DSP apart as I may have the bolt radiused to make it run easier, Found out that I had floated the barrel by more or less bedding it. Took a 1/4 fender washer that is about a 1/16 thick and ground it ti fit the cavity around the take down screw and had put a few thickness's of foam pad under the receiver end of the barrel to float it and damp the vibration and evidently it is working. 2 target that I shot the other day and the gun, some ammo it likes and others?
Image Image Image
Last edited by bearandoldman on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:04 pm

"SPORT" is a handsome brute that shoots as good as it looks! Shooting those tiny groups must get boring, you need to buy something that is messed up so that you can apply your fix 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm

He can mess the groups up pretty easy by just shooting some cheap Fed 550 Bulk ammo. Or a bunch of Rem golden bullets, once he leads the barrel his groups will be all over the place. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:56 pm

blue68f100 wrote:He can mess the groups up pretty easy by just shooting some cheap Fed 550 Bulk ammo. Or a bunch of Rem golden bullets, once he leads the barrel his groups will be all over the place. :D
If you look at that first target on the center cross lines where there is no bull, there are 20 rounds of Fed Bulk that I used to get the barrel warmed up, before shooting the good stuff. Target were shot alternately, 10 rounds on the first and the 10 on the other and then change ammo and repeat. Never use the Golden bullet but I have a couple of guns that shoot the Rem sub well.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 pm

KAZ wrote:"SPORT" is a handsome brute that shoots as good as it looks! Shooting those tiny groups must get boring, you need to buy something that is messed up so that you can apply your fix 8)
Need a 40X to shoot smaller groups, got to take Markie out pretty soon and see what he can do again. Right now am trying a couple pf things with Mr T. Should get a trip in tomorrow afternoon maybe. Nice to have a range 15 minutes from home.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Well after the range session Saturday past we still had some feed problems ands I think the mags just need a good cleaning. Gave them a good clean yesterday afternoon and as the weather was nice today we took the mags and Mr T to the range for some testing.By the way Mr T did not shoot any really great groups the other day and was mediocre at best. He had been bedded and the barrel floated by my local smith but had always shot better with a pressure pad near the forend. Took him apart and he did not have a pressure pad, sooo, we set him up the same a Sport as it had worked so well for him. It worked out good for Mr T also but we still have some feed problems and as soon as we get the bolt radiused we will do some more testing. Most of the problems seem to come because of the sticky lube on the target ammo hanging up in the mag and causing feed problems. Here are the targets we shot today and a pic of our hero Mr T. N ow we have to set up one of the carbines the same way and see what happens.

Image Image Image

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:31 am

purchawk, just curious, but did you ever get your Green Mountain replacement barrel and how did it work out?
Got curious about the washer and pad set up working on any 10/22. So, took my 4 digit carbine and set it up similar, but the pressure pad has to be at the tip of the forearm as the Overton stock is relieved from the receiver to about 2 inches from the forearm tip. Shot a few groups with different ammo but the Fiocchi 22 CRN shot the best. The gun now has a Valor 4x32 scope that I picked up at the local pawn shop mounted.
Image Image

purchawk

Post by purchawk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Brownell's was out of the Green Mtn. 20" barrels when I returned the first one, so I'm still waiting for a replacement. Brownell's is our local supplier, just down the road 20 miles or so.

Meanwhile, my friend the gun dealer suggested an advantageous trade of the 10/22 I started with, now with all the original parts, stock, and barrel reinstalled, for a new-in-the-box 10/22 that I can use for the rebuild once the target barrel arrives.

I took it out to out indoor 50 ft. range to shoot a little break-in routine, and after that, I put several kinds of ammo through it.

Surprisingly, the expensive CCI and Eley didn't group nearly as well as the cheapest Remington bulk and Federal Champion, both of which delivered 3/8" groups at 50' from a rest (Bushnell scope @ 8X).

I'm certain these will open up at longer distances, but I was pleased. Hate the stock Ruger heavy trigger, however, and I'm going to install the VQ replacement.

I'm cert
Ruger Mark III (VQ trigger, extractor, and grips)
Ruger 10/22, Green Mtn. barrel, VQ hammer,
Hogue stock
Marlin 982VS .22 mag.
Mossberg 144 (club loaner)
H&R Ultra Varmint Rifle .223
Snub nose S&W Model 10 (M&P) revolver,.38 Special

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes, the stock triggger is awful, mine have all been altered by my local dealer/gunsmith.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Had been having some feed problems and thought the mags needed cleaning, so tried that and 2 guns still misfed with the target type ammo. Figured the bolt may be short stroking at times so we radiused the bolt to make change the leverage where it contacts the hammer and make it cock easier. Well this seemed to do the job as yesterday we ran off about 150 rounds with no feed failures. Am also posting a pic of the washer and foam bedding setup, it may be crude but it does work. Image Image

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:10 pm

No one will ever see it. All they will see is the holes in the paper. So function is what counts.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:19 pm

blue68f100 wrote:No one will ever see it. All they will see is the holes in the paper. So function is what counts.
Most people get to see nothing, I shoot for my enjoyment and not theirs, Stock guns other than trigger, really don't see the cost/accuracy increase of a lot of aftermarket parts, others opinions will vary, for damn sure.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 am

purchawk, did you ever get your Green Mountain replacement and how did things work out?

purchawk

Post by purchawk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Nope, still waiting for Brownell's to get a restock of Green Mtn. 20" blued barrels.

Meanwhile, I traded in the 1969 model 10/22 for a new-in-the-box to build on. I put in the VQ target hammer (kept the Ruger hammer spring) and a new bolt lock, and it now has a very nice trigger--about 3 lbs.

I was tempted to just send the stock barrel to Nemohunter, but I've already paid for the Green Mtn. barrel, so I'm going to try it.

Nice shooting, by the way, on the targets you've been posting.
Ruger Mark III (VQ trigger, extractor, and grips)
Ruger 10/22, Green Mtn. barrel, VQ hammer,
Hogue stock
Marlin 982VS .22 mag.
Mossberg 144 (club loaner)
H&R Ultra Varmint Rifle .223
Snub nose S&W Model 10 (M&P) revolver,.38 Special