My first 10/22 build

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

hutchman

My first 10/22 build

Post by hutchman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 pm

I bought an old beater 10/22 about a year ago to build. I started by purchasing used stuff to keep the cost down and it worked as I only have about $350 in this after selling the unused parts from the donor rifle.

The pictures are not too good and I will have better when the weather breaks, but I took these for another reason, so here it is:

Changes to the rifle include.........

Stripped receiver
Tuffer Buffer
Owner trigger job
Tri Mag
Green Mountain 20" barrel
Boyd's Blaster Stock finished by me
Bedded action
Fully floated barrel
Simmons Whitetail Classic 6-20X50

The build was pretty straight forward, but slow. I put about 10 coats of urethane on the stock and was not happy with the result. I ended up color sanding the stock with 1000 grit to take the uneven spots down and finished it with car wax for shine. The pictures do not show the shine very good, but I am happy with the results.

It is a real shooter too. I shot it Thursday and it put 5 rounds into 1 1/4 inches at 50 yards. This really doesn't sound too good, but it was shot without the benefit of a rest. I did the best I could off of a table and called two fliers. Without the fliers, it put the other 3 into one hole. I can't wait to shoot it off a rest to see what it will do.

Overall the build was very satisfying. In fact, it has started a new sickness for me.....building 10/22s. I just bought a new 10/22 DSP for my wife, which will be a Superstock type build and I have a Charger that is going to get a thumb hole stock.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Very nice looking rig.....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:07 am

I like it. That stock color combo is very attractive. It really catches the eye. Free floating the barrel should allow for greater accuracy. Of course you have to bed the action to fully achieve the true potential for accuracy.

R,
Bullseye