Remington mod 511

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

et-lynch

Remington mod 511

Post by et-lynch » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm

I have this rifle that I bought back in the 40's, it hasn't been shot much.
The trigger pull is very firm, is there anything that can be done to it?

Thanks
Ed

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Let me see what I can dig up on this model. I've done some work on Rem 514Ts; I just have to see if these two models are similar enough to use the same techniques.

R,
Bullseye

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Check the trigger and sear pivot pins and holes for wear, the sear pin rides in a slot on the trigger if I remember correctly. Also the hole in the receiver for the trigger pivot pin has a bur from the factory a lot of times on those rifles. Remove the bur and see if you have enough room to make shims for the trigger pivot point. The hole in the trigger is chamfered on both sides, leaving little bearing surface for the pivot pin, so the trigger feels tight in the receiver, but still has side to side play adding to the creep. Polish the trigger and sear where they contact, also look at the sear and firing pin where they make contact.
The sear will wear a small notch in the face of the firing pin, be careful not to change the angles when polishing.
There are a couple of places that sell "reduced power" trigger springs for that rifle, but you can modify yours or go to the hardware store cheaper.
All of your trigger parts are available new from Numrich for about $25 plus $35 for the firing pin. So if you over polish where the gun won't function, the bolt won't cock, replacement parts are available. I'd get them and the firing pin spring as those are the most likey needed parts, from wear/breakage, other than a spare mag or two if you make this a regular shooter.

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Didn't think of this before... PM me your email and I'll send you 2 PDF files, Remington field service manual, and another of exploded views, might make my description of your trigger mod make a little more sense.