Marlin 39a and Marlin Factory Repair - Not a happy tale

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bigislandbob

Marlin 39a and Marlin Factory Repair - Not a happy tale

Post by bigislandbob » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:14 pm

A minor rant first - I am never going to buy another Marlin product. I would suggest that anyone considering buying a Marlin product read the rest of this post and then decide if they really want to buy endless trouble with no satisfaction. Rant off. Here are the facts. I have been shooting weapons now for over 40 years and caring for them for over 40 years. My four week old brand new 39a is currently at the Marlin repair place in CT. I drove it there on December 1st and gave the fellow a detailed written description of each problem along with varies spent brass to illustrate one of the many problems. He stated, "Seven to ten days and we'll have it back to you. Do you want us to mail it or do you want to pick it up?" It is now January 26th.

I bought a brand new 39a from a very large authorized Marlin dealer in East Hartford. During that time I experienced the following problems.
1. Failure to eject - brass would literally stick in chamber. It did not matter what manufacturer of ammo, 8 out of 10 would stick. Before anyone suggests polishing the chamber, see #3.
2. With a full cartridge tube the rounds would load. However the last five to six in the tube would 90% of the time not feed properly and the lever would stuck in the down position.
3. I took it to a local gunsmith and he discovered the chamber was out of round.
4. The carrier assembly has a peened in little spring thingie - this fell out and I replaced this part. Twice as the second one I bought from Marlin fell apart because the peening didn't hold.
5. I replaced the magazine tube outside as it literally fell off. The dovetail with pin that holds it in was so loose I could move it with my pinkie. I replaced both the magazine tube and magazine tube pin. I'm not a machinist but the dovetail this fits into seems excessively sloppy. I sarcastically thought of using Gorilla glue to hold it in place.
6. I replaced the magazine tube inside as I thought that would help the last 5 or 6 rounds feed properly. It didn't.
7. I replaced the extractor three times thinking that would help with the brass sticking in the chamber. It didn't.
8. I replaced the cartridge spring guide thinking that would help with the brass sticking in the chamber and/or feeding the round into the chamber. It did not.
9. I haunted this forum and others seeking solutions. None worked.

Here's the punch line if you will. I do have the serial number of the 39a and the repair number. I have been going to the Marlin site to check on status of the rifle. Here is what I have seen for 9 weeks -
"12/1/2009 Firearm/part has been received and logged in"

I just got off the phone with the Marlin repair facility in CT. I asked if their message above was accurate and that no one has even looked at the 39a. The Marlin representative said "Yes. No one has looked at it." I then asked if the repair facility has tons of defective firearms to look at or there is only one person there. The Marlin representative said, "It's the latter." I expressed my frustration at this, nice and calmly, and his response was, "I made a note of what you said."

So if you are thinking about a Marlin firearm, think long and hard. In my non-gunsmith opinion I have a rather defectively made firearm. I know from experience I have just shared that the Marlin repair facility is a sick joke.

Buy a Marlin, buy endless problems with no solution even with a warranty.

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 pm

I am sorry to read about your troubles.
In Dec I bought a new 39A as I had always wanted one and I am not getting any younger.
My 39A is great, no problems so far, I only fired 300 rounds thru it due to the weather. Hopefully I got a good one.

I sent a taurus model 990 revolver to taurus as it was defective right out of the box. They have had it since Nov 12 of last year.
If I get lucky Maybe I'll get it back next month. This is my 2nd Taurus revolver the other one was defective right out of the box too they had it 8 weeks and when I got it back it was perfect. Hopefully this model 990 will be the same,

Bob
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Any chance the "Large Marlin Dealer" will take over that 39A and allow you to buy a Henry. Several of us have acquired Henry's and they have been flawless except for one. One member dropped his out of the gun case on concrete and The President of Henry sent him a new stock no charge even after he admitted up front that it was his mistake. Bearandoldman bought a Henry that did have a problem with the barrel and they sent a pick up and swapped out the barrel and had the rifle back in very few days with no drama. I believe on a new rifle the Dealer should get involved to make this good for you. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association