3 Position smallbore rifle

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

3 Position smallbore rifle

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:27 pm

Anyone else like shooting smallbore rifle? I started shooting 3 Position NRA when I wanted to concentrate on my high-power scores; really made a difference!

I also got into teaching juinors smallbore and air rifle. My club has a pretty good juinor program, it's also affiliated with 4-H.

I have a nice Anschutz standard rifle.

R,
Bullseye

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ain't 22's Great

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:06 am

Me again. Just love shooting anything .22 long rifle calibered. Must be the cheapskate in me. My current long gun is a Mossberg 144LSA. It is a sweet shooter. Very nice trigger, very simple gun to work on. Unfortunately me and my Mossy don't seem to fit well in any competitive category. The Mossy is too heavy for light rifle. And 3 position smallbore does not allow scoped sights. My old eyes just can't handle iron sights. I do OK messing around at our club with the aperture sights that came on the gun but neither me nor the gun are really good enough for competition. Smallbore competition seems to be oriented towards younger folks with parents who can spend big money on high tech rifles and shooting gear.

I'm going to be looking around for a little lighter gun that can get into the light rifle category but that will have to wait till later in the year.

Luv them 22's.

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:21 am

I'm with you on the .22 craze. I love shooting the little bores. I was in a club, quite a while back in California, that also had an open class for their 3 position league. The open class was for scoped rifles so the optically challenged, silverhaired shooters could play too. I tried shooting in the open class for a while. Nothing like a 20X scope on those little 50' bullseyes to really pull them in close; don't even need a spotting scope when you're shooting like that.

I like shooting light rifle too. (I'm an NRA Distinguished Expert in light rifle) I shoot an old Marlin Model 60 that I bought back in the 70's from Kmart for $35. Those little marlin 60's shoot great. That micro-grooved barrel really shoots those .22s well, and it doesn't matter what brand either. I can even make Remington Thunderbolts shoot great in that gun. Triggers aren't too good, and there's not much you can do to fix them either, but the rifle shoots great.

We had some Mossberg 144 LSB's at my club for the juniors. We also had some Remington 513T's and a couple of Winchester 52T's for Prone shooting.

I've shot some Mossberg model 50's. They look funny, stock like an old SMLE with a tube fed magazine that fits into the butt. These shoot great too. I didn't think it would but I was a believer after a couple of range sessions.

A lot of people like the 10-22 for an all around general purpose light rifle. There's certainly a lot of aftermarket parts available for them. One could practically configure this type of rifle to any style that they wanted.

R,
Bullseye

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ruger 10-22

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:54 am

That Ruger 10-22 has been tempting because of all the aftermarket stuff available. So far the main thing that has kept me from getting one is that besides hole punching I'd like to hunt with it. Since Pennsylvania is the closest place I can hunt with a 22 that presents a problem. They don't allow hunting with an autoloader. Maybe I'll take a look at New York. The People's Republic of New Jersey won't let us hunt squirrels and rabbits with a 22. But yet the muzzle-stuffer folks can hunt squirrels with a .36 caliber rifle. Go figure.

I've been tempted to pick up a used 10-22 that's been beat up cosmetically just to get the action and then build a gun around it.

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:22 am

You should be able to find a good used magazine fed .22 bolt repeater rilfe for sale somewhere. An old Winchester or Remington would do the trick. CZ USA offers some reasonably priced rimfire sporting rifles too.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:09 am

Bullseye, do you own one of the CZ .22's or are you familiar with them? I've been thinking about getting a rimfire rifle and I looked at CZ's web site. They look good and seem to be priced right. The 452 series apparently has an adjustable trigger which is attractive to me. Can you give me some advice on these rifles?
Thanks much.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:41 pm

Blindpig wrote:Bullseye, do you own one of the CZ .22's or are you familiar with them? I've been thinking about getting a rimfire rifle and I looked at CZ's web site. They look good and seem to be priced right. The 452 series apparently has an adjustable trigger which is attractive to me. Can you give me some advice on these rifles?
Thanks much.
I'm not 'Bullseye', but...
Eric Brooks at http://www.cz452.com/cz452-faq.html
has some good information.
Also, Walmart has added CZ to their inventory,
so, their store/prices may be convenient for you.
Image toyfj40

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:11 pm

A friend of mine has one of the CZ/Bruno model 452 .22 rifles. I shot it and was very impressed with its performance. Its relatively inexpensive and has a fairly nice trigger. I almost bought one myself after handling/shooting that one. If you have a chance to get one and you're in the market for a .22 sporting rifle, I'd go for it.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:59 pm

3-position small bore got me into a life of trouble. My first semester in college my roommate talked me into trying out for the rifle team (No. 5 in the NCAA at the time). I thought I did pretty well, except that I could not shoot the low kneeling position demanded by the coach. High kneeling was just fine, but after weeks of trying all I ended up with was a very sore knee and bounced from the team. A young lady cleaned my clock and made the team. I hung around and shot for the ROTC team when they were desparate. Three years later the young lady told me we were getting married.

3-position small bore resulted in 4 kids and almost 40 years of explaining that the shooting trophies belong to the lady and I'm only allowed to carry and clean them under close, adult supervision.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:36 am

greener wrote:3-position small bore resulted in 4 kids
details of this are better suited to other internet forum-discussions... :oops:

just-kidding... thanks for the cute story.
I hope you are a good-gunny and she keeps you around a while longer.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:57 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
greener wrote:3-position small bore resulted in 4 kids
details of this are better suited to other internet forum-discussions... :oops:

just-kidding... thanks for the cute story.
I hope you are a good-gunny and she keeps you around a while longer.
She's let me polish her trophies for 37 years. It's either I'm good with a blitz cloth, can outshoot her with 155mm and 204mm or the agreement that the one that sues for divorce has to take the kids.