DIY boresight & 10/22 range trip with rimfire scopes

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

DIY boresight & 10/22 range trip with rimfire scopes

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Took advantage of recent warmth and took my Christmas 10/22 to the range. Before I went, I did some cheapo "boresighting" on my two 3-7 X 20mm scopes.

I propped up the barrel/receiver, with scope, with some books on a kitchen chair. Using a dental mirror, I aimed the bore at an orange target dot I stuck on the wall at the end of the hallway. I then carefully set the scope on the dot as well, double checking the bore aim as I went. Then I did the second scope the same way. Then in curiosity, I looked and saw the open sights were pretty close, too.

Then the range trip. Sure enough, the open sights were dead on at 50 yards, right from the factory. Thank you, Ruger. And, the Weaver TO-9 mount was low enough to use the sights easy enough.

When I mounted each scope, i thought to drop them down about an inch worth of clicks, since they were set up in a ten foot hallway.I aimed at Pete the rubber prairie dog's chest, and got him with the first shot from both scopes. I was surprised my hallway boresighting was that close. They were still about an inch high and a few clicks off on windage, but it only took about 40 rounds to be sure both were fine tuned to my satisfaction.

The Tasco 3-7 X 20 scopes surprised me. They have good definite clicks, and a clear view up to 6X. The 7X is a tad blurred at the edge. And they held zero just fine when removed and replaced. They are good quality within the limits of their design. Not bad for $18.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:29 pm

I've done similar over the years.. I purchased a LaserLyte bore sighting tool which had the mandrels for shotguns too. I use it to check guns if I remove the scope for some reason. Most all cases the scopes go back on not requiring any adj.

I used it today to sight in a new Mueller Quick Shot. I'm very impressed on how well this reflex dot scope is built. I have found no plastic on it. I have it setup on my MKIII 678. Since I can't see the sights clearly with these aging eyes I figured I will give this a try. So far I like what I see.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911