new kid in the housse

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

new kid in the housse

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Found TAZ here at the local pawn shop when I bought the Bushnell scope at a great deal. The owner is a member at one of my clubs and happened to mention I would like to get a .357 lever gun and he showed me this one. Marlin 1894C very little used out the door for 3 C notes, well he came home today. If KAZ in Texas had not shown his off, I may not have bought one, Therefore he is named TAZ in his honor.Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:26 pm

me likey.....I've thought about one in 44spl/mag to partner uop with my 629 mountain gun, but can't convince my better half that i need it...

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:43 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:me likey.....I've thought about one in 44spl/mag to partner uop with my 629 mountain gun, but can't convince my better half that i need it...
I actually was thinking of a .45LC but this will go with my 50Th Anniversary Blackhawk in .357/.38. Sold off my shotshell reloaders and shotguns recently as a vision problem does not allow me to acquire the target readily and have not shot sporting clays in 2 years. A guy bought all of my guns he made me an offer I could not turn down and paid in C notes on the spot.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:19 am

From what I've seen around here, that's a pretty good price for a Marlin lever-gun. Looks like it is in pretty good shape.

I keep eyeing the used racks for a Marlin or Henry lever gun in pistol caliber. Haven't seen any at a price I wanted to pay.
me likey.....I've thought about one in 44spl/mag to partner uop with my 629 mountain gun, but can't convince my better half that i need it...
You need one. You can use me as a reference. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:21 am

greener wrote:From what I've seen around here, that's a pretty good price for a Marlin lever-gun. Looks like it is in pretty good shape.

I keep eyeing the used racks for a Marlin or Henry lever gun in pistol caliber. Haven't seen any at a price I wanted to pay.
You need one. You can use me as a reference. :lol:
I'll vouch for you too, just tell yur sweet wife that the Oldman and the Big Greener gave permission. I don't have to worry she don't know where I live, Bear says for it too.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:46 am

I started thinking that I wanted to get one of these in 44 as I'm having a lot of fun shooting steel plate silhouette targets with my Henry rimfire and wanted more power for the 100 yd rams. Then I went over to the marlin owners group and found out that the 38/357 was the most popular for Cowboy plate shooting. So, not having a 44 pistol, and having a 357 S&W I started looking for a 38/357. They are hard to find, and used just doesn't happen. You had super luck, and people will go crazy when they hear what you paid 8) I'm testing a 158 gr cast bullet load right now(when it warms up again) for accuracy and not leading. It seems that done correctly the lead bullets don't have to lead at all. We will see. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:17 am

Well, me too but thought 45LC would be neat, just love big bullets. But don't have .45LC revolver but do have a 50th Anny Blackhawk in .38/.357. Just happened to get talking to the young fellow that owns the pawn shop , and mentioned wanting one and he brought this one out, Went back the next day and got it, I'm not totally stupid. We did get a little snow up here also, hear they are going to have snow in Houston where one of my daughters live. Saw this next to my house this morning.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:42 am

Great picture, a Christmas Rose!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 am

KAZ wrote:Great picture, a Christmas Rose!
That rosebush has been ther for 40 years or better, all the rest hav died out, bu this one keeps on going. Ther is about a foot between the basement wall and a small sidewalk, evidently ther is enough warmth from the wall that this bush keeps trying even this late in the year.

bearandoldman

TAZ can shoot

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Cold or not a new gun has to be shot within 24 hours or it nay be jinxed. Stopped at my friendly gunsmith on the way to the range and had him put a fiber optic front sight on. Damn, cold at the range, should have put my down vest on under the barn oat. Did get 5 shots off before I headed for a warmer place. Using a 5 inch shoot n cee the first shot was perfect for elevation but spit the edge of th e bull on the left. Fired 4 more holding on the right edge and placed them pretty much on center, except for one I threw low. When I got home I put on the Weaver rail I piked up at the shop and mounted the Tasco 2.5 to 10 scope. Maybe we can try a few tomorrow. Has not been shot much s thee loading port is still pretty tight.Image

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Well, you are motivated! The snow missed us and hit Houston, but 42 degrees was to chilly for me to test my new cast loads. I'm not surprised that your new 1894 shot well, this is a 10 shot 50 yd rapid fire group I shot last week(5X scope) with my reload of 13.7 gr 2400 158gr JSP. I'm looking forward to try the same load with a 158gr cast bullet. Regards

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:03 pm

We did get a little snow up here
just got a few flurries here in the south.
H

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Nice looking group, Kaz. Maybe I'll have to look a little harder at the lever guns.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Like I said, the gun had to be shot but not enough to freeze the old guy that did not wear enough warm clothes. Seller and Belllot 158 grain jacketed soft points, fiber optic front and stock rear at 25 yards rested. Holding on center of 5-1/2 bull.
1st shot just split 7 ring at 9:00, elevation is good
2nd shot hold point edge of 7 ring at 3:00, hit 10 ring at 3:00
3rd shot, hold about mid 7 ring at 3:00, hit 8 ring 8:00
4th shot hold same as 3rd, hit split 9 ring about 6:15
5th shot hold same as 3rd, hit inside 7 ring at 6:15
Shooter problems, he needs a warmer place to be, I believe the gun is fine but seems to load hard but the this is my first like this so it may be a loader problem Need to drift the fron sight over about .050 to the right.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 pm

You did well considering the conditions, and iron sights! I just can't shoot decent groups with iron sights anymore. When I load the mag I start the round and stop when it is almost in. Then I use the next round to push it on into the tube, and so on. So far except for wanting to shoot that rapid fire group I've just been testing and load one at the time. I like the fact that I can just throw it into the port and it chambers smoothly. Regards