new kid in the housse

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm

KAZ wrote:You did well considering the conditions, and iron sights! I just can't shoot decent groups with iron sights anymore. When I load the mag I start the round and stop when it is almost in. Then I use the next round to push it on into the tube, and so on. So far except for wanting to shoot that rapid fire group I've just been testing and load one at the time. I like the fact that I can just throw it into the port and it chambers smoothly. Regards
Thanks for the advice, I was trying to push the round all the way in with my thumb, was wearing a pair of golf gloves at the time. Actually the few shots I fired especially with my old equipment and new gun were in my estimation, great. That is other than the one very low shot a very good group for me with iron sights. Picked up some 158 grain cast LSWC's at the shop on the way back home and it looks like between 3.5 to 4.0 grains of Green Dot will do the job.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:10 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Like I said, the gun had to be shot but not enough to freeze the old guy that did not wear enough warm clothes. Seller and Belllot 158 grain jacketed soft points, fiber optic front and stock rear at 25 yards rested. Holding on center of 5-1/2 bull.
1st shot just split 7 ring at 9:00, elevation is good
2nd shot hold point edge of 7 ring at 3:00, hit 10 ring at 3:00
3rd shot, hold about mid 7 ring at 3:00, hit 8 ring 8:00
4th shot hold same as 3rd, hit split 9 ring about 6:15
5th shot hold same as 3rd, hit inside 7 ring at 6:15
Shooter problems, he needs a warmer place to be, I believe the gun is fine but seems to load hard but the this is my first like this so it may be a loader problem Need to drift the fron sight over about .050 to the right.

Not bad for a first time out with snow on the roses.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:55 pm

BAOM

Nice looking Marlin. I have an 1894 in 44 magnum. Nice handling, well balanced, and extremely fun to shoot. I hope you enjoy that Marlin as much as I enjoy mine.

Y

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm

For a new to me gun, it shot well for iron sights and not the best of weather, Seems to be a good shooter and felt good with the factory loads, Next goal is now that the scope is mounted and boresighted but the weather is poor is to shoot 5 to 10 rounds of factory and with no scope adjustments shoot the same amount of my 148 grain wadcutters with 3.5 grains of Green Dot and the the same amount of the 158 grain LSWC's that I loaded this afternoon with 3.8 grains of Green Dot at separate targets and see where they print. If they do not shoot to st he same elevation as the factory I will adjust He powder quantity and try again, I know the 148 grain wadcutters will most likely not feed so I will single load them for trial purposes.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:06 am

I was able to test my cast bullet load and it looks good with no leading. It is a Dardas 158gr roundnose,flat point,bevel base http://www.dardascastbullet.site.aplus. ... ode=38RNFP
I would think that it would be perfect for your load and work well in your 1894 and your pistol. It fed with no problems and the bevel base makes it go into the case with no lead shaving. I went with the .358" They use the USPO flat rate for shipping so it was approx $10 for 500 bullets.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

greener

Post by greener » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:28 am

The bullets and prices look pretty good.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:11 am

I'm glad that you took a look at them greener. I'm a novice as regards cast bullets and want to use them for shooting at steel targets. I like the fact that they offer .357,.358,.359" as it seems that fit is an important factor in preventing barrel leading. I do not want to spend my time trying to get the lead out of a barrel. Regards[/list]

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:57 am

KAZ wrote:I do not want to spend my time trying to get the lead out of a barrel. Regards[/list]
Yup, don't need that problem, my wife keeps telling me I have to get the lead out of other places. No wonder them bullets are so good, they are made is Essex ville Michigan, a small town about 20 miles or so North of me on the west coast of Saginaw Bay. I loaded 10 of these with 3.8 grains of Green Dot and may try them this afternoon, temp is 29F but no wind. The bullets I got are most likely from the same company, all the shops around here sell these, makes sense because they are local. Max load for Green Dot is about 4.5 grains so I am way safe, if they work, I will try 4..0 or 4.2 to see which works best. Got a hunch these may be Dardas bullets also. Will keep you posted Image

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:08 am

I like 2400 for lead cast bullets in my 357mag. The lub is almost if not more important than the lead cast. Some lubs will make the gun look like your shooting black powder. Some shooters think it's the powder when it's actually the lub. If the lub is not full in the ring it can also cause leading too.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:11 am

That is good news, I'll bet that they are the same. They came in good packaging, with all 500 stacked in nice rows rather than dumped in a box. Then they went to some effort to surround the bullet box with lots of protection to survive shipping.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:58 am

KAZ wrote:That is good news, I'll bet that they are the same. They came in good packaging, with all 500 stacked in nice rows rather than dumped in a box. Then they went to some effort to surround the bullet box with lots of protection to survive shipping.
Get them at my local shopmy price is $11.00plus tax.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks blue, I lucked out on the powder in that when I looked in my stash I found an 8lb keg of 2400. I'm using 12.7 gr under this Dardas 158gr cast. The lube looks great and each bullet has been perfect from all aspects. Now to get some better weather to test/crono loads.
baom, shoud you consider starting a thread on TAZ in the Centerfire section. Maybe we can lure in some new 357 1894 owners 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:32 am

KAZ wrote:Thanks blue, I lucked out on the powder in that when I looked in my stash I found an 8lb keg of 2400. I'm using 12.7 gr under this Dardas 158gr cast. The lube looks great and each bullet has been perfect from all aspects. Now to get some better weather to test/crono loads.
baom, shoud you consider starting a thread on TAZ in the Centerfire section. Maybe we can lure in some new 357 1894 owners 8)
You know us old gguys, when I strted the thread I just goy into rimfire like I always do, forgot I had a center fir rifle, something new for me. Been about 20 years or more since I sold my Remington 141? .35 Remington.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:08 pm

Same here, I am in RF 99% of the time. I just thought that while we were working up some cast bullet 38/357 loads we might get some help from those who never shoot rf as seriously as we do. Regards

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:04 pm

For a new to me gun, it shot well for iron sights and not the best of weather
Not bad for 1) iron sights, 2) new to you gun, 3) and hardest of all, the weather. I had a chance to go out the other day when it was in the 50's, but with the wind kicking a little I changed my mind. It just isn't any fun to me when I have to bundle up to shoot my rifle for target style shooting.
It was only in the mid 30's today, but I did make down to the basement pistol range.
Hakaman