10/22 trigger housing and mag release change?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

10/22 trigger housing and mag release change?

Post by ruger22 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:52 am

The post, "Which 22 to buy?" got me to perusing catalogs. The '09 catalog mentions a polymer trigger group housing, and shows the factory magazine release is now extended. The '08 catalog does neither. So I assume the aluminum housing and flush releases are history.

Does anyone have better info on this? Does the polymer housing also cause changes in other internal parts?

I wish Ruger had left it alone. It would seem now I would have to find a new, old stock, All-Weather 10/22; or a good used one. I just do not like plastic in gun mechanisms. Stocks or grips, sure.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: 10/22 trigger housing and mag release change?

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:14 am

ruger22 wrote:The post, "Which 22 to buy?" got me to perusing catalogs. The '09 catalog mentions a polymer trigger group housing, and shows the factory magazine release is now extended. The '08 catalog does neither. So I assume the aluminum housing and flush releases are history.

Does anyone have better info on this? It would seem now I would have to find a new, old stock, All-Weather 10/22; or a good used one for the aluminum housing. I just do not like plastic in gun mechanisms. Stocks or grips, sure.
I think you are about right on those dates, but there is nothing wrong with the polymer trigger housing. I have several 10/22's including an early no prefix 4 digit serial numbered walnut stocked gun. I have a DSP with the polymer housig an was thanking of selling one of my other guns, so I swapped trigger mechanisms. After shooting the DSP, I liked the feel of the polymer trigger better so I swapped it back. Nothing wrong with polymer guns, if there were all the manufacturers would not be using it.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:54 am

Time will tell on how the polymer 10/22 trigger guards hold up to exposure to sunlight, solvents, and aging. This is not the first plastic trigger guard, remember the old Mossberg model 44? Those didn't hold up well at all.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:58 am

Bullseye wrote:Time will tell on how the polymer 10/22 trigger guards hold up to exposure to sunlight, solvents, and aging. This is not the first plastic trigger guard, remember the old Mossberg model 44? Those didn't hold up well at all.

R,
Bullseye
If they use the same material that they use on the 22/45 frame, which is likely aas they hve it in house, ther should be no problems,

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Checked my Gander store today, and their rack 10/22s had some aluminum and some polymer housings. These are the first I've looked at both and knew it.
I'll have to say the polymer looks good. I couldn't see any real difference until I worked the mag release and saw silver around the mag hub on the aluminum housings.
I know Ruger initially had problems with the various pins in the 22/45 polymer frames. So I'm a little spooked about this 10/22 polymer housing. Should I decide and buy one, I'll just trust Ruger's reputation.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:22 pm

ruger22 wrote:I know Ruger initially had problems with the various pins in the 22/45 polymer frames. So I'm a little spooked about this 10/22 polymer housing. Should I decide and buy one, I'll just trust Ruger's reputation.
I believe that the 22/45 frames that had Hammer pin problems were early Mark III's and not the original Mark II 22/45. I have 3 of those and have had no problems.