I have wanted one of these for years

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Had a problem with the little browning clone that I straightened out last night. The hole in the outer mag tube was not totally lined up with the hole in the stock and rounds would hang up and not drop in smooth. The mag tube was slightly loose, cleaned it and applied a little blue loctite and got it aligned properly. The thread had been staked at one time but was slightly loose. Swapped to a 2.5 to 10X scope and boresighted it this morning. Got out to the range and zeroed it pretty well and started shooting for groups of 5 shots. Not bad but a little erratic after the second group I could feel something flexing as I checked for a loose scope or mount and could feel something. After the third group found out the nut that thread on the mag tube and holds the stock on had loosened by half a turn and you could wee the movement where the stock and receiver joined. I was flexing as I shot and the barrel was wandering slightly. Tightened the nut and shot the fourth group. The center white on the target is 5/8 inch.

You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Nice shooting,

Looks like you got a keeper.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:57 am

Now that is the way we like to see them. And that is also what we expect and receive from these little beauties. I am heading for the range in a couple hours myself. Should stay here and plant winter flowers, but that can wait until this afternoon. I may take a handgun or 2 along with the Mossy 44b and the ATD. Never to many, just to many to carry all at one time. LOL :) TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:31 am

You always have to take a spare of each kind in case of a problem you still have one to shoot. Got all the load problems solve with the ATD now, sometimes you have to screw something up to find out what makes things work properly. Been shooting 5 shot groups so have only been loading 5 rounds and it makes the inner mag tube easier to seat by no having to slide over cartridges and compress the spring so far. This thing shoots better than some of my so called Target guns, but have not tried the Rem subs in them yet.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:24 pm

baom wrote:"Had a problem with the little browning clone that I straightened out last night" I can't believe that little jewel doesn't even have the honor of being named after proving itself :shock:
Tigerbettle, that is a fantastic stock on yours! Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:46 pm

KAZ wrote:baom wrote:"Had a problem with the little browning clone that I straightened out last night" I can't believe that little jewel doesn't even have the honor of being named after proving itself :shock:
Tigerbettle, that is a fantastic stock on yours! Regards
Still thinking on that KAZ. Just got back from the range a little windy ands the sun glares in your eyes in the afternoon as the range shoots to the west, with the low sun it is awful. Have to make my next session before poof. I shoots the Fiocchis well also but them Rem subs shocked me with their accuracy especially that last 5 shot group. Took up one click on the barrel thread and now it takes just a little effort to get it to the spot whee the latch lines up. Dead snug now and the stock is also, now all we need is a good shooter. The Henry shoots great and looks it's age to with that vintage K weaver on it. Think maybe we will call this one Moses in honor of the guy that designed him many years ago.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Well, there you go, MOSES is a class name worthy of a fine shooter, and we will know which one of your many blasters is in current use 8) I sold Remona's ugly Sister to fund my new obsession! Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:36 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, there you go, MOSES is a class name worthy of a fine shooter, and we will know which one of your many blasters is in current use 8) I sold Remona's ugly Sister to fund my new obsession! Regards
Sometimes we have to sell off one ta pay for another.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Thank you, Kaz. I hadn't really ever paid all that much attention to the little gun, but it does have some nice stripes. Had it at the range today shooting Win 333 and Fed 510b. I had left my ammo bag home and luckily had a box of the 333 and 2 of the 510s in my necessary bag in the truck. The Win 333 really shot good today. I had my final 5 shot group with the Mossberg 44b that just barely peeped out under the edge of a dime at 50 yards. At 50 with the ATD I forgot to adjust my eyepiece optical on the Simmons 4X 22Mag. Couldn't figure why the target didn't look quite right. I still had 3 of 9 in the bull. I realized ther is a real difference between 20X and 4X at 50 yards. When I set up the target at 25 yards, I realized the clarity wasn't quite right and adjusted the eyepiece. Voila! It sure got clearer. I ran 10 rounds through one jagged hole. I will put up a pic in the morning. I was going to try out some of the Win 22 LR subsonics I got at Bass Pro last week, but they were part of what got left behind. The Camo Camper, Medalist and the old Ruger Standard all shot admirably today as well. Rand 3 or 4 mag.s through each. And I wonder why my back hurts after carrying all that stuff from the truck to the range. :? TB Sure was a pretty day at the range. BAOM, I am proud and happy to see your Moses lives up to the family tradition. :D
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:01 am

Tigerbeetle, don't feel to bad about forgetting some ammo and having to make do. A few months ago I arrived at the range and discovered I had forgotten to bring the rifle that was the main reason I was there. Like you I made do 8)
I'm glad that I reminded you to appreciate that fantastic stock! HAK has a Henry with great wood that I've lusted for. A funny story is that I've decided I need a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag and wanted one in stainless to use as a truck gun. Then I found a blue with spectacular wood from the picture(4 different views) so I made an offer and when talking by phone with the seller I mentioned that I really liked his good pictures, and the wood. He said that rifle had been sold, and that I would get one in a sealed box. I told him that I would pass and ordered the stainless that I had wanted in the first place. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:48 am

KAZ wrote:Tigerbeetle, don't feel to bad about forgetting some ammo and having to make do. A few months ago I arrived at the range and discovered I had forgotten to bring the rifle that was the main reason I was there. Like you I made do 8)
That is called old age or senility or a senior moment, been there and done that. Like the elderly gentleman that showed up at the rifle range, got out of his car and said, this is an awful sort driving range and I forgot my clubs and just brought these gun, of well. :shock:

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:43 am

I know BOAM. It does get embarrassing. I had the ammo bag setting next to my range bag with the pistol cases; then picked up the 2 rifle cases with the other hand and forgot to come back for the ammo. I want to show a couple pics and then I will quit bragging. But, you know, at our advanced years of experience, we want to leave something for the younger generations to aspire to. :roll: My old Mossy finally showed me what it could do if I didn't screw it up. This was with Win 333 bulk pack at 50 yards. I was so pleased, I put it away and got out the ATD.Image[/img]

I was shooting (I think) the remains of a 50 round box of Fed 510B 40 gr. solids for this group. I shot a couple mags at a 50 yard target and put three in the 1 inch bull with the 4x scope. Sure does look different with the 20X on the 44. The I came into the 25 yard target. I was playing just shooting kind of rapid and then thought I would try to hold the last 7 or 8 in tight. This was 25 yards. Image
I think I am going to quit experimenting with different ammo and just stick to the Win 333s and 555s and the Federal Walmart stuff. It does everything I want it to do. BUT I believe I do like Fed AutoMag best for my pistols. Well, I guess I made a liar out of myself in 2 sentences. Oh Well! :oops: You all have a good day. I have to go plant flowers. TB
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:42 pm

we all pretty well know what shoots best in which gun, but we got to try the other stuff just so we have an excuse to go to the range and play. Got a shock yesterday after shooting Moses for a while tried some of the Rem subs in Sport, damn that trigger on the DSP is sure light compared to Moses.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Well, call it what you want, I prefer Senior Moment. Had Henry apart this morning to change the barrel, had the original barrel in it that had been straightened but it memorized it's way back to shooting so far right that the scope runs out of adjustment. Got it back together as it is not big chore and took Henry and Moses to the range. Henry is now wearing the K2.5 and he looks good with it. Shot Moses for a while and he was doing well, had one round make a really loud report and it was on line but about an 1-1/4 high. Took Henry out of the case and went to load him for a trial run and, damn, left the inner mag tube on the workbench. Loaded a few rounds by dropping one down the tube, holding the barrel vertical and chambering it, kind of like cartridge muzzle loader. That was a pain , so Bear, Henry, Moses and BAOM headed home. We did have fun though.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:19 pm

On our range trip described on Henry's thread we did get to try Moses wearing a different pair of glasses, he stole the scope off of Sport. Did not shoot much, about 15 shots including sighting in as we had to get back home to make dinner. I think I am learning to shoot this gun, you can not lean on the stock much or Moses will flex at the joint a little and point his barrel up. Except for th one high shot, did have one like that the other day the went over an inch high, not sure if I made the gun flex a little or there was a slightly louder report and the bullet went high or just plain operator error, but the other 4 shots were great.
Image Image