I have wanted one of these for years

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 am

Hmmm, I see one rifle, two router tables, and a table saw. Looks like some panel cutting jigs (or picture framing jigs) hanging up on the wall in the background. Somebody has a lot of hobbies. :D

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 am

Looks like your getting the hang of it. You may not have the barrel quite tight enough if your getting some flex. It just may need 1 more notch to take it up. On mine, all of the take up is done leaving 1/8" more to tighten (1 slot), then I have to grab the receiver and forearm and tighten the reset. A couple of year ago when I started shooting the browning the barrell was so loose it was shooting 8" high at 50'. Once I cleaned the adjuster and tighten it up the groups went tight just like yours.

With that scope you should be able to pick of the grays before they move into your back yard. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:24 am

Bullseye wrote:Hmmm, I see one rifle, two router tables, and a table saw. Looks like some panel cutting jigs (or picture framing jigs) hanging up on the wall in the background. Somebody has a lot of hobbies. :D

R,
Bullseye
You are very observant my young friend. Also a drill, press a couple more hand held routers a jointer a drum and disk sander and a radial arm saw. I build more tools for wood working than projects some time but the challenge of making the tools to do the job really satisfies me. Next project for this winter is a bench rest similar to a Pappas rest from oak. Many years ago and when I first got interested in woodworking I did tool and die design and also could machine the stuff I designed.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:28 am

blue68f100 wrote:Looks like your getting the hang of it. You may not have the barrel quite tight enough if your getting some flex. It just may need 1 more notch to take it up. On mine, all of the take up is done leaving 1/8" more to tighten (1 slot), then I have to grab the receiver and forearm and tighten the reset. A couple of year ago when I started shooting the browning the barrell was so loose it was shooting 8" high at 50'. Once I cleaned the adjuster and tighten it up the groups went tight just like yours.

With that scope you should be able to pick of the grays before they move into your back yard. :D
You know, maybe I can go one more click, can always back it up if it doesn't want to close. Right now it gets pretty snug just before the lock slot lines up. One more click may do it. The scope is off one of my target guns, just put it on for testing.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 pm

blue, thanks for the advice. Set it up one more click, you have to grab the butt stock to get the last couple of degrees to get the lock slide to engage but now it seems to be really solid. May make a quick range trip and give it a try this afternoon.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Be Carefull grabbing the butt stock, you can break it. I only grab the receiver and barrel/forearm. With scopes on these guns it makes it more difficult getting hold of it firmly. Make sure the surfaces are clean if you break it down and reassembling. It only takes a power flake to to them off zero.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Bullseye wrote:Hmmm, I see one rifle, two router tables, and a table saw. Looks like some panel cutting jigs (or picture framing jigs) hanging up on the wall in the background. Somebody has a lot of hobbies. :D

R,
Bullseye
Here are a couple projects from the pas, and you can see the need for the jigs. The clock was madeabout 1990 and my yongest daughterr in Evergreen CO has the mate to it, the candle lanterns were more recent. Image Image

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Be Carefull grabbing the butt stock, you can break it. I only grab the receiver and barrel/forearm. With scopes on these guns it makes it more difficult getting hold of it firmly. Make sure the surfaces are clean if you break it down and reassembling. It only takes a power flake to to them off zero.
I was extremely careful, I was only a thousandth or so left to go, but old hands could not get it to move the last bit. Barely touched the butt stock and the slide went home. As close as that fir in atmospheric pressure could make it not fit, eh?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Nice wood work.

This summer I ended up rebuilding a planner and a table saw for my dad. He does not use his wood shop like he use to.

My dad use to do some intarsia work. Me, I prefer metal vs wood, a little easier on my allergies and more predictable.
David

Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Nice wood work.

This summer I ended up rebuilding a planner and a table saw for my dad. He does not use his wood shop like he use to.

My dad use to do some intarsia work. Me, I prefer metal vs wood, a little easier on my allergies and more predictable.
Done a bit of metal work myself, mosly aluminum, Ran a 40x100 horizontal spindle CNC mill back in the early 70's.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Very nice work. I don't believe I could see all the other tools you mentioned in the picture. It sounds like you have a well-rounded wood workshop with all those tools. Like you, I do not like paying good money for tools I can make myself. Making jigs and adapters take up a lot less space than a single use tool.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Bullseye wrote:Very nice work. I don't believe I could see all the other tools you mentioned in the picture. It sounds like you have a well-rounded wood workshop with all those tools. Like you, I do not like paying good money for tools I can make myself. Making jigs and adapters take up a lot less space than a single use tool.

R,
Bullseye
The other stuff is behind the camera position, some of the stuff as you can see is my own design and manufacture. Making the jig, fixtures and tools to do the job is the real challenge and after that making the project is simple. I hate finishing work, after the project is assembled the fun is gone for me. Those candle lanterns set a year or so before we did the finish coat on them.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:48 am

I hate doing the prep work for paint more than any thing. I can not use a brush without leaving streaks, so I spray most all of my projects. By brother inlaw can paint with a brush and it looks like it was sprayed, not a streak any where. I'm just the opposite, looks like some 2 yr old did the paint work with all the streaks. I'm very good when it comes to spraying though. No sanding when I spray.

Like you the fun part is building it.
David

Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Moses and his problems.

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:25 am

Well we have most of his problems solved or know what is causing them. His flex at the barrel/receiver joint has been solve by taking up a couple of clicks on the thread adjuster ring. He now takes a little force to move the last couple of degrees for the lock slide to engage but is totally tight now. Loading problems at the port in the stock, we adjusted and loctite the outer mag tube but still have problems with some ammo. The Fed bulk and the Rem subs just drop right in but the Centurion especially wants to hag up as the rim is at the stock/tube junction. After a closer look the shape of the bullet causes the cartridge to change angle of entry and hang up slightly on the rim, nothing but a little push with another round and it drops in the mag tube. The more pointedtapered rounds feed in just fine but hte more rounded cause problems. Inconsistency of accuracy? have not shot any really great groups since we took off the K2.5. Did shoot fairly well with the Tasco 2.5 to 10, tried the Tasco 6 to 24 and the Barska 8 to 32 and the problem finally dawned on me. Combination of the short eye relief of the bigger scopes and the fact that the cantilever mount puts the scope way forward causing you to crawl way up the stock to get the proper sight picture. As with all big scopes you can get the halo effect at times and this is causing variations when your head is not always in the same position, besides it is uncomfortable to shoot that way. Some changes will have to be made, maybe back to the 2.5 to 10 or do have a line on another K4.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:30 pm

40F very overcast with no wind and the weather coming up is getting worse yet so try something and head for a 1/2 hour range session. Getting the proper eye relief on Moses is a problem due to the scope mount, had a 3/8 to Weaver adapter so tried this with the 2.5 to 10 Tasco. Ir may work but did not look solid so we put on the Wearer K4 and headed for the range. Actually the scope is solid, tried side and down pressure with the bore sighter in and did not see any deflection. May try it in the future with the 2.5 to 10, or the 6 to 24 which has a longer barrel and would allow the scope to mount about 3/4 further back. Shhots the Eley Sport well and also the Rem subs, but the Rems are errattic lately.