I have wanted one of these for years

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

I have wanted one of these for years

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Well, now I no longer have to want one as I brought one home today. I am not a collector , just a fun shooter so it is not a real Browning as they are way over priced in my estimation. This is an Interarms, built just like JMB designed it and it even has a classic period scope on it. The range was closed today for hunter safety training so I did not get to shoot it but there is always tomorrow. They had 104 students at the hunter safety class today, good to see a lot of youngsters getting into the sport, evidently all parents do not think guns are bad. Here is a pic, OK I also dabble in woodworking and my work area is rarely sawdust free.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Congratulations. It's always nice to get something you have always wanted.

It looks to be in great shape. Let us know how it shoots.

Ever since I was 13 I have wanted a Marlin 39A, I'm 60 now so I guess its about time I bought one....... :D
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Very nice!!! Lets see some targets soon. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:36 pm

recumbent wrote:Congratulations. It's always nice to get something you have always wanted.

It looks to be in great shape. Let us know how it shoots.

Ever since I was 13 I have wanted a Marlin 39A, I'm 60 now so I guess its about time I bought one....... :D
Then you should have one, go for it, If you have been saving for your old age, go for it as you are getting there. I myself started using my old age stuff about 7 years ago as I figured I was old enough to do it.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:02 am

Yours is the newer v2 design over mine with the barrel scope mount. That is the one thing I do not like about the v1. When you remove the barrel the scope is not always as it was when you took it apart. I use a bore sighting tool to check mine when I take it apart for cleaning. Works good for me so far.

I'm lucky enough to be inheriting a 61 Belgium vintage from my dad. I'm about the only one that shoots it any more. The lacquer is starting to peal off the hand checkering on the stock and forearm. But I'm not going to do anything with that unless it start coming off the main stock. I shoot it every summer when I house sit for him. This year after many years of use and 1000's of rounds I had to replace the cartridge stop in it. My dad did not know it was there and failed to lub it. It located in the very top of the receiver and is operated by the bolt. It does not fallout when you remove the bolt, other wised it would have got lubed regularly. It was only wore down about 0.015" but it was enough to cause the gun to malfunction when feeding rounds.

Enjoy the gun they are great shooters. It's one of my favorite guns to shoot.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:26 am

Blue, I don't really know much about them but just always have wanted one. Can see where if the scope was on the receiver you could get some misalignment or reassembly. Mine is not a Browning it is an import of Interarms one of the many clones manufactured in China, possibly by Norinco??? Should get a chance to try it out this afternoon. Should be a good fun plinker, just love the looks of it's slim design. JMB was a great gun designer, carry one of his designs every day.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:21 pm

These lightweight guns are great furry tail rats gun. Light weight and a dream to shoot.

What power scope do you have on yours?

I installed a Simmons 3x9 last summer on my Browning 22. The old weaver scope had failed and would no longer hold zero. The larger optics makes it easier on my old eyes.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:07 pm

blue68f100 wrote:These lightweight guns are great furry tail rats gun. Light weight and a dream to shoot.

What power scope do you have on yours?

I installed a Simmons 3x9 last summer on my Browning 22. The old weaver scope had failed and would no longer hold zero. The larger optics makes it easier on my old eyes.
It's got an old stylu Weaver 1 inch steel tube scope on it, I do have others to use if I care to. This is just a fun plinker gun don't hunt anything , just can not shoot enough when huniing.

chefmossy

Post by chefmossy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:02 pm

I have a Browning and an Interarms. They are great fun to shoot.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:09 pm

chefmossy wrote:I have a Browning and an Interarms. They are great fun to shoot.
Just what is the difference other than$$$$$$ This one looks great and seems to shoot fine, although only was able to shoot 10 rounds - due to having to relieve my manager at the gun club this afternoon.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Got tied up Sunday afternoon, my manager at the club had to leave so I had to fill in for the afternoon and close the place up, did get to function test by firing a few shots into a large pile of wood chips. This is my shotgun cub and we do not have a legal range available. Well a little cloudy but not bad temp so did get out and shoot it a bit, got her pretty well zeroed with Feb Bulk and then shot this target with no sight adjustments. It sure likes the Rem subsonic, all groups are ten shots at 25 yards and the scope is an old Weaver K? 2.5, will have to try a bigger scope some time. That rem group will disappear under a nickel. Anyone have any experience with feeding on these units? Fed bulk and Rem sub load 10 rounds and the mag tube slides and closed properly, the Centurion or the 22CRN it will act like there are too many rounds and will not shut all the way unless a few rounds are removed. The nose of the bullets are a different profile.Image

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Well, you have to be pleased with those great groups. I really like the Rem Subsonics, I shoot them all the time in my 10/22. Yes, I would need more scope power or a red dot like I have on my 10/22. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:20 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, you have to be pleased with those great groups. I really like the Rem Subsonics, I shoot them all the time in my 10/22. Yes, I would need more scope power or a red dot like I have on my 10/22. Regards
I have tried the Rem subs in some of my other guns but none have shot them as well as this little Chinese JMB clone. Got to buy some more of them at my local shop. May put one of my 10-40x50AO Tasco scopes on it and give it a try in the next day or so. Just took that target down off the shelf and a penny will cover those 10 shots. That old K 2.5 is not bad but I could refine my sight picture a little better with more power, also have a Tasco 2.5-10x42AO, may give that one a try. That big 10-40 would look out of place with that much scope on it. Actually that old Weaver K really looks period on that gun, kinda 60's like.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Anyone have any experience with feeding on these units? Fed bulk and Rem sub load 10 rounds and the mag tube slides and closed properly, the Centurion or the 22CRN it will act like there are too many rounds and will not shut all the way unless a few. The nose of the bullets are a different profile.
There are several things that can case this. I have run into some ammo that would not feed on my gun. It was soft lead nose, that would hang up on the cartridge guide. Polishing this may help the feed. If the cartridges (ammo) are not being held back and stacking up, locking the bolt up. I had this happen on my gun. There is a cartridge stop at the very top of the bolt. It normally stays in the receiver when the bolt is removed. If this wears the ammo can slip by. There is only a 0.020" rim on the cartridge so it does not take much wear to keep from holding them back. Mine was only wore off by about 0.010", but it was enough wear that it started malfunctioning. The cartridge stop is operated by the bolt. When the bolt goes back, it picks up a round, at the same time stopping the ammo in the magazine. If it does not hold them back it jams the bolt.

Do you have the history on the gun?

If a used gun, you may want to do a detail strip the bolt and receiver checking for worn parts.
David

Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Blue, feeding and chambering is not a problem with any of the ammo I shot today. Got home and decided to check things out a little while ago. Cleaned and lubed the receiver with some CLP, about all I ever use, if the military uses it, it must be all right. Cleaned ands lubed the mag tube with some dry silicone spray. Problem arise if you load over 7 round of the Centurion or the Fiocchi, just difficult to get the tube back down all the way and locked, with 5 rounds it will always work with over 7 it's a maybe. Decided to put my Tasco 2.5-10x42AO on it was the main reason I went to work on it in the first place. When I pulled the gun out of the case the scope had slid forward off of the rail, just had rimfire rings and when shooting from a rest if they are not totally tight the gun walks out from under the scope, also found the rail screw just slightly loose. Good thing I did not try for any more groups as I would hive found it wandering. After the last group of the 22CRN on that target we shoot about 50 rounds of rapid fire plinking and that must have done it in. Just might be rim diameter causing the loading problem? Don't really care as it shoots the Rem subs or the Fed bulk so well, no reason to use other ammo.