22lr which to buy?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

c-ville1

22lr which to buy?

Post by c-ville1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:19 pm

I would like to buy a new 22lr, but I'm not sure which one to buy. I have narrowed my list to the following but could be talked into anything that might be better. My list Colt M16AR/22lr, Smith Wesson MP4, Ruger 10/22, and GSG 5, and a RugerAR/22. Does anyone have any strong opinion on any of these rifles? Thanks c-ville1

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Me, when my budget permits, would love a 10/22 stainless with the black synthetic stock. Looks great, and I can't imagine a better all around worry free .22 rifle.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: 22lr which to buy?

Post by Downeaster » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:54 am

c-ville1 wrote:I would like to buy a new 22lr, but I'm not sure which one to buy. I have narrowed my list to the following but could be talked into anything that might be better. My list Colt M16AR/22lr, Smith Wesson MP4, Ruger 10/22, and GSG 5, and a RugerAR/22. Does anyone have any strong opinion on any of these rifles? Thanks c-ville1
I don't know about the others, but I have read two separate reviews that really dump on the Colt as being an overpriced, unreliable, malfunctioning, Mall Ninja piece of crap.

Hard to beat a 10/22 in that genre. You can trick it out with all the tactical stuff you desire, but the basic operating mechanism is still the stone-reliable 10/22
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

c-ville1

Post by c-ville1 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Thanks for the info, I think I'm leaning more towards the Ruger 10/22 because it is so reliable and reasonal to add extra too. :D

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:48 am

I like mt 10/22. Everyone should have at least one.... :D

c-ville1

Post by c-ville1 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:33 pm

I thougt about it and with the imput I've gotten. I'm going to order a Ruger 10/22, I think the black synthetic stock and the stainless steel barrel with a 25 round clip sounds real sweet, a early Christmas present. Bud's gun shop had one for $249, but my local dealer will beat that price. Thanks for all the info. :D

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:37 pm

What uyou really nee is at least one of each type, a bolt gun, slide action , lever and aute. Yopu got to have at least one Ruger 10/22 and a browning auro if some kind also
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

nfafan

Post by nfafan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:08 am

You want the new SIG522. A real-deal SIG blackrifle for under $500.00. In fact, often found for about the same as the also-desirable S&W M&P15/22.

The gun has been getting great message board chatter. Here are just a few observations on my new SIG 522…

At about 6.5 lbs, this feels like one very high quality build, like the S&W M&P15/22. And like the S&W 22, it uses a lot of high-end polyfiber construction wherever feasible, but unlike the S&W; it does have an aluminum upper which includes a machined-in M1913 rail.
All other “RIS” rails are optional – along with front and rear sights.

As in – there are NO “iron” sights of any level of quality or accuracy included in the base rifle, which IMHO is inexcusable for a $500.00 rifle.

Guess the expectation is to buy the optional SIG sights, or use your spare sights that we all have laying around the house...

Unlike the S&W, the 16-inch barrel has the expected AR flash-hider, which according to the manual, has 1/2x28 AR15 compatible threads. The barrel itself is forged steel 6 grooves RH with 1 in 16" rifling.

The rifle comes with a “SIG blue” plastic hard case, a “SIG blue” trigger lock, a 1.5-inch buttstock extension cap to replace the standard rubberized butt cap, manual and warranty card, and for the allowed states: one Black Dog Machine 25~30rd smoke-translucent hi-cap “BHO” mag. (It will NOT accept BDM’s M261 AR15/22 mags.)

The 522 charges on the right, and has a slightly upturned bolt handle – like an AK74. It has an ambi safety and ambi mag release, and an AR-15-like bolt release button on the left of the upper recvr.

The pistol-grip has a swing-open trap-door to reveal storage for a bore-snake perhaps.

With no gas system in use, the fake gas nut over the barrel can be removed to reveal a short “storage tube” for – something short?

The tele-stock appears to have 3 positions, but when fully extended it feels like an acceptable “Warsaw Pact AK” to me. Most folks will likely use the included butt extension cap, but note that I did not find any mention of installing the butt extension in the owner’s manual.
A push-button allows the telescoping stock to fold to the right, and you forcibly lock it onto a stud molded into the trailing edge of the lower right forestock.

Markings on the 522 are few: “S” and “F” are engraved at the safety positions as expected, there is “SIG SAUER” logo lettering molded into the left of the butt beside the folder button, and engraved on the left side of the upper recvr; “SIG522, SIG SAUER INC., EXETER NH, USA”, and with the S/N engraved below the bolt-release button.

Plus - since this is a genuine SIG product made by SIG and not an unlicensed copy – no lawsuits to end our fun!

Pics:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/nfafan/SIG_522/

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:18 am

Welcome to thr forum nfafan

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:16 am

Welcome nfafan, that SIG looks great! I would be interested in seeing some targets when you get around to range time. Anyone who really gets into the 10-22 platform will admit that they have $500 invested 8) . This one will shoot tiny groups with Remington SubSonics at 50 yds, and is respectable at 100. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

greener

Post by greener » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:24 am

Welcome to the forum, nfafan. Good write up on the Sig. It would be interesting on how this thing functions during firing. Some of the M&P reports were about parts breaking after half dozen rounds.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:44 am

Pretty fancy 10/22 there KAZ, almost as accurate as your 40X'z. Mine are all pretty much stock except for trigger and bedding, about as fancy as an old man with a limited budget can do, Just like in high performance vehicles that last little bit of speed and accuracy is expensive. Sure would like to try that shooter though.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:07 am

I agree, I've seen many stock 10-22s that were excellent shooters, and I know that yours is a tack driver. For mine I needed the threaded barrel to allow use of my suppressor, and the stock is a Bell & Carlson. I was able to get some of my money back selling the original stock and barrel. Nothing that I have will shoot in the same class as the 40X. A very old design that still rules! Don't we love something old that still works so well? Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:42 pm

KAZ wrote:I agree, I've seen many stock 10-22s that were excellent shooters, and I know that yours is a tack driver. For mine I needed the threaded barrel to allow use of my suppressor, and the stock is a Bell & Carlson. I was able to get some of my money back selling the original stock and barrel. Nothing that I have will shoot in the same class as the 40X. A very old design that still rules! Don't we love something old that still works so well? Regards
Why do I have 3 different 1911's that are used as my carry guns, because they are an old design by JMB and they work and still work. My normal carry is an SA Micro Compact, sure it has an aluminum frame and a 3 inch barrel that JMB probably never thought of but it is still his basic design. Besides every damn gun manufacturer builds one and they are original design and almost a century later they still work How old is the little .22 auto break down rifle design and it works too. I know I can get more accuracy out of my guns with some mods, but I take that money and buy more guns that appeal to me and need a loving home.

nfafan

Post by nfafan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:45 pm

greener wrote:Welcome to the forum, nfafan. Good write up on the Sig. It would be interesting on how this thing functions during firing. Some of the M&P reports were about parts breaking after half dozen rounds.
Thanks for the welcome folks!

Unlike me, one of the guys in this thread has had a chance to get out and shoot:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=45&t=272489

He reports that like the S&W, the SIG522 has some warts as well, once the blush wears off...

The bolt uses a single "recoil guide rod" with a captive recoil-spring. (Heck, my Remy 597 has 2 rods/springs.)
Unforunately, this guide rod/spring is held captive at either end with one simple C-ring. There is just not enough material in the rod itself to use a tiny roll-pin.

The teeny-tiny C-rings can get knocked off and render the gun useless.