CZ 452 Varmint?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

CZ 452 Varmint?

Post by smokey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm thinking about buying a tack driving rimfire rifle. I am impressed with the info I'm seeing on the CZ rifles. I started out thinking I wanted a 22 LR but now am thinking that a 17 HMR might be nice. I haven't had any dealings with a 17 HMR and would be interested in hearing any pros and cons of the caliber as well as opinions about the CZ rifle in general or any other brand rimfires anyone thinks is a good option.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:58 pm

I have a CZ 452 and I'm really impressed with the accuracy, considering the price. I have no experience with the 17 hmr, but I'm not impressed with the price of 17 hmr ammo.

Y

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 pm

Smokey, the CZs are great rifles. My Brother owns a varmint and it shoots tiny groups. I own an American and it shoots as well as the varmint. There are some noises that the CZ 452 is being discontinued and will be replaced by the 455. The first 455 will be introduced in January. The first introduction will be with the new 455 American. The new 455 will feature standardized dimensions across all rimfire model lines of the 455 series read .22 LR and Magnums. Manufacturing tolerances will be better than even the current series of CZ’s. The action of the 455 will feature two action screws. One in the front of the receiver and one in the tang. The floating dovetail stanchion used on the current Americans will replaced by the new tang action screw. The new action screw design in the prototypes featured allen head type screws. The barrel lug with screw will be history.

The excellent hand lapped barrels will still be utilized. Some consideration is being made to make swapping barrels and calibers easier. CZ was vague on the specifics of this change.

The trigger is still a single lever trigger but varies in appearances from the present trigger.
So, perhaps some interesting things going on with CZ.
Unless you want to hunt bigger game than squirrels at past 100 yds I would stick with the 22LR.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:02 am

Thanks for the information. I'm sure the 22 LR will be more economical. I do some varmint hunting but already have a 22 WMR and a 222. It sounds like I should maybe wait for the 455 to come out? What is the "good deal" price range for a 452?

Smokey

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Smokey, as to weather to wait or not that could be looked at a fews aways as you already know. The 452 series has been a tremendous sales success. I've never heard of one that wouldn't shoot. So, when a manufacture makes a change they always say it is to improve things. Sometimes the changes are more to do with cost control, meeting market price points, sometimes the product really is better. Some of us are old enough to remember when Winchester "improved" their rifles in 1964. Pre 64 Winnies still command a premium. I believe that this news will cause many to go acquire a 452 while they are around. I've seen nice ones sold in the $350 range. I've owned a Varmint. and a Full Stock,and still own an American. They all were great shooters, and I only sold two of them to fund my bechrest 22LR interest. The reason most of us recommend the 22LR as ammo is available from $2 box plinkler all the way to $15 match.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association