Remington 597 17HMR Recall

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jfg1

Remington 597 17HMR Recall

Post by jfg1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:45 pm

:cry: I just found out on the Trapshooters.com site that Remington has recalled all 17HMR Model 597.

Go to the Remington site and look up Safety and you will find the recall notice.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:45 pm

This is not a new recall it has been out since August. Here's a direct link to the recall of the 597: http://www.remington.com/safety/17_HMR_ ... efault.asp

There have been lots of documented problems with this rifle and ammo combination. Most of the problems seem to center around head spacing issues of the Model 597, and use of this ammo with blow back semi-automatic actions. Ruger found this out when it tried to introduce a 17HMR version of the Mark III, it later morphed the pistol into the Hunter Model in 22 LR.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

17 HMR recall

Post by stork » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:56 am

Magnum Research also recalled all their 17 HMR semi auto's. From my recollection, it has to do with the change in the ammo. The rifles were developed with the original loading pressures which have been changed. Bolt actions aren't affected but the semi auto's are.

FWIW
Stork
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:15 pm

First of all I'm a Remington fan, however the way they are handling this recall as I understand it doesn't sound to good. Seems that if you purchased a 597 22 HMR say for approx $300 you upon sending your rifle to them for destruction get a coupon for $200 that has to be used to buy another Remington product. Now, the good news is that I don't have a dog in this hunt, but, if I did I would not be inclined to buy another of their products after eating $100.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association