Another 40X

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Another 40X

Post by KAZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:47 am

My pal bearandoldman noticed that I had another 40X when I posted a picture in response to a members query on stock refinishing. I acquired this 40X from one of the bench rest shooters I've been shooting with. It is a nice old Remington commercial (as opposed to military contract) 40X. Only problem was someone had replaced the target stock with a sporter stock which made for terrible balance. So, I started looking for an original stock and found this one that TUCK on RFC made in tiger stripe maple from a direct copy of an original 40X. Anyway I've never tried to finish a stock and Shakey on RFC and Tuck provided guidance. I wish that you could see this stock in person after 9 coats of a hand rubbed tung oil mixture. I had it pillar bedded by the best Smith in the country. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:08 am

Hey, if you need it buy it, Hell, buy it even if you don,t need it. But then, a man always needs another gun. I think tiger maple makes one of the best looking stocks, once you get some depth to the finish, the stripes just abut reach out and hit you in the face. Almost indestructible very hard wood also. Hope it shoots as well as it looks, you did keep the blue/green one too?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:06 pm

On the rightful question of does it shoot? These are three targets that I shot at different times as I would add a finish coat. I wanted to see if my bedding job would hold up to taking the action in and out of the stock so I shot these 25 yd targets which I think are pretty good. Some azzhat on another forum suggested that perhaps I shot at only 25 yds because my rifle might not shoot at any greater range. Now, when I'm testing ammo,bedding,sights,etc I do so at 25 yds to remove as many varibles as possible. Anyway I still believe that if a 22rf will group at 25 it will hold up at 50 & 100yds.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:05 pm

If it will shoot at 25 it will shoot at 50 or 100 also, after that .22LR may spread out too far. 1/4 at 25 yards, should equate to 1/2 at 50 and 1 inch at 100 but getting a lot lower after you get past 50. Difference between 25 and 50 will only equate to about a 1/4 inch in elevation. Amazingly my 10/22 DSP with the action piilared on a large washer and a pressure pad at the rear 2 inches of the barrel shots well also, got to get to work on my rest now that the weather is getting too cold to do a lot of shooting. Do you still have the green one?

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:15 pm

As usual you are correct! After the disparaging remarks about 25 yd shooting I shot these 100 yd targets with it to shut the guy up LOL. Yes, I do still have the blue 40X, I'm using the Maple one as a practice gun. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Can't blame you ther, I rarely sell agu. Only ones that leave are the one that I don't sem to care for but had to buy to find out.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:26 am

Very nice work, Kaz. Pretty fair shooting, also.