Savage MK II with synthetic stock

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

winshooter

Savage MK II with synthetic stock

Post by winshooter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:24 am

I just bought a MK II and I'm waiting for it to arrive at my dealer and then the 10 day wait..................sigh. It has the accutrigger and the synthetic stock. I've heard some accuracy issues concerning the stock but thought that I could overcome by adding some weight for stability and maybe modifying the forearm for a little more heft might solve those problems if they really do exist. Can anyone tell me of their experience with the syn stock Savage MK II? Any worthwhile suggestions as to modifications to really make it shoot?

Mike
"Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
Benjamin Franklin

Retired Navy 1966-2004
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member
SBR&GC Member

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:29 am

Mike, first let me admit that I don't own a MKII. However, I do have some knowledge on the subject of stocks. The problem with the synthetic stock is not the weight,but the fact that they flex. That is why when you see a high end $$$ syn stock it has a full length aluminum liner. You rifle may shoot very well for your purpose, and if you want to turn more toward target work there will be many inexpensive stocks available soon as the MKII is very popular and many aftermarket items are starting to appear. Perhaps bearandoldman will chime in as he has been shooting some great targets with his MKII. I believe that greener's Son also shoots one very well. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

winshooter

Post by winshooter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks KAZ................I'll be looking for more responses and maybe someone will address the "flex" problem with the Savage syn stock. It might be a good project to under take while I wait for an after market stock to come out.

Mike
Benjamin Franklin

Retired Navy 1966-2004
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member
SBR&GC Member

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

my two cents or more worth

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 am

Have never owned a synthetic rifle stock, but the ones I have seen, the overmolded foam ones look pretty inadequate to me. They most likely are fine for a hunting gun that is carried a lot as the weight savings would mean a lot, but they have little tensile strength. Polymers are fine for handgun frames and I do own a few of them but that is a while different story. Wood rifle stocks are good, the finely figured ones do look great but can change a lot with the changes in temperature and humidity, a thin layer laminated stock is probably the best, unless you get one of those stocks that KAZ mentioned with a modded in aluminum skeleton.
As far as shooting the MarkIIGL of mine, it does shoot great. The barrel is full floated from the factory, I believe all of them are, but do not know if the synthetic stocks are also. Tried a forend pressure pad between the barrel and stock yesterday, but I think the gun shoots better as Savage has built it. The Accutrigger is great and mine is set to the lightest setting. My accuracy limitations are the rest, I need a better one ans the age of the shooter, how do I get younger?????? Don't know about the young Greeners gun, his has had some stocks mods done lately by the elder Greener.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

winshooter

Post by winshooter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:18 am

I own two synthetic stocks from McMillan, one on my M1A across the course match rifle and one hunting stock. Both are extremely accurate with no shift in zero year to year that is discernable. Neither have a full aluminum runner. I also have a Remington 700P that has a synthetic stock but not McMillan. It might have an aluminum runner embedded in the stock but I'm not sure. I do recognize the need for rigidity though and I'm afraid I was a little vague in my first post when I said I might add weight for stability when I should have been addressing the rigidity issue. Once I see the stock I'll be able to see if I can bed an aluminum piece in the stock and attach to the action. This will add rigidity as well as weight. Modifying the forearm will provide additional support for shooting off a rest. I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel if someone has already recognized the problems in the "stock" stock and come up with a solution.

Thank you for your comments and I look forward to more posts on this subject.

Mike
Benjamin Franklin

Retired Navy 1966-2004
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member
SBR&GC Member

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Well, any McMillan stock is going to be as good as it gets in a syn stock as you already know. I'll bet that your 700P is in a H&S stock with the full aluminum block that I mentioned. My Annie is in a McMillan and there is no flex. My 700LTR is in the H&S with the block and it is as good as the McMillan. What we need is for Bell & Carlson to make a stock for the MKII. I have one of their syn stocks for a 10/22 and for under $169 it is excellent with zero flex. I'm sure that when you get a chance to study yours you will make it work. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Yes Greener made mine a "custom" stock, but it did not change the accuracy. it is still Steller for the price. I have done some shade-tree trigger work on min and lighten the pull a bit. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=227014

I have a non accutrigger savage in .308 with a Plastic stock and I don't think flex in the fore end is an issue as most of their rifle barrells are free floated (except the manlincher style ones)

winshooter

Post by winshooter » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:18 am

It finally arrived at my FFL yesterday. Now I just have to wait until the 28th to pick it up. I did get a chance to inspect it and the trigger is really light. I bought it used but it appears to be fired very little. I have a scope that I will mount as soon as I get it and will establish a baseline for accuracy. The barrel is definitely free floated all the way to the action. I'll try a barrel tuner and maybe some pressure points to see how it affects accuracy. I have a choice of about 6 different manufacturers of ammo from Federal, Remington and Winchester bulk to some Wolf and Aguila match ammo. I'm looking forward to the project.

Mike
Benjamin Franklin

Retired Navy 1966-2004
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member
SBR&GC Member