Mossberg Mdl 44B blowback

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Mossberg Mdl 44B blowback

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:53 pm

What causes it? Gas coming back around the case? To much slack in the bolt/head space. How do I fix it. It seems to be most common with Remington SS HPs. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe every 20 or 30 shots. Very seldom with Winchester or Federal.

I thought my inability to get a good 50 yd group was a poor crown, but maybe the problem is in my bolt or chamber. I can shoot two shots and cut the same hole, and the next one is a half inch off. If the gun cools off or is cold, the first couple shots will be way off the mark, and then start coming into zero. :( TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Some of the bulk ammo is not very consistent. It you take your ammo and mic the rounds you will see some varaitions in the rim on the bulk ammo. This will explain your random leakage. If your shooting bullseye you may wont to shoot some match ammo. These are at a higher level of consistancy. But with most 22 rimfire guns you have to find the ammo that it shoots the best.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:24 pm

There may not be enough back pressure to seal the chamber with the spent cartridge casing. If a bolt blows back prematurely, the hot gas will leak around the casing too. You can inspect your cases to see if there's powder burns around the sides to see if gas is leaking. Sometimes new recoil springs solve the problem. Other times higher powered cartridges can do it. Even a good detailed scrubbing of the chamber can take out imperfections that allow for leaking gas.

As far as you strike consistency, check your barrel channel for any obstructions that could be causing it to deflect under heat expansion. The stock or a barrel ferrule may be causing the barrel to move by tension from heat.

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:14 am

Bullseye, it is a bolt action. I believe it must have to do with being subsonics. Frank on RFC suggested the lower case pressure of the SS Remington was insufficient to expand the brass and seal the chamber. Basically the same thing you suggested. That makes sense with what I was experiencing. Now, I think I will go ahead and lap the crown and see if I can improve my groups. I was getting better groups with the HV Winchester Xpert. I will use the SS in my Challenger II. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:01 am

D-Oh, I know that! A Model 44! What the heck was I thinking when I responded to that question? I don't know why for some reason I was thinking of a M151 semi auto.

Is your rifle a stock 44? Is the action bedded? Is the barrel band intact or do you have a free-floated barrel? Have you checked the action screw to see that it is staying secure?

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:22 am

:lol: I thought that might have just blown by you, Bulleye. Everything is all original equipment and condition. I am still experimenting a little bit on the forward barrel band screw wondering just how tight it should be. I believe there is a happy medium there somewhere, but I fear I will have to buy one of the pound-inch torque things before I can really make any headway. It seems like when I was shooting it on 50 ft indoor years ago with double apertures, I could get 6 or 8 Xs out of 10 shots in prone. I may just be kidding myself that I can still do the same thing off a Caldwell-style rest at 75 feet with a AO Intensity 6.5-20 scope.
I believe it is the lower pressure of the SS Remington, and a possibly slightly over sized chamber. We shot Remington Standard round nose in college and never had any blow back from Win 52s, or Rem 40x. I don't know about the Win training rifles (Mdl 53? or 13?) because I only shot those a few times before I was given a match rifle. The 40X is what I shot for several years.
TB
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Tigerbeetle wrote:I don't know about the Win training rifles (Mdl 53? or 13?) because I only shot those a few times before I was given a match rifle. The 40X is what I shot for several years.
Actually I believe the .22 target rifle model you are remembering here is the Remington Model 513T. You have both the components of the number in your desciption, just not together.

When I started out shooting smallbore rifle I had shot many of these very same models. All were given by the DCM (now CMP) to various shooting clubs for civilian/junior marksmanship programs. In the early nineties the ODCMP decided to sell these rifles to the various clubs who possessed them at a very reduced price to deplete the surplus .22 target rifle inventory. Congressional support was withdrawn for the DCM and they had to become self sufficient or cease as an organization. The reorganized as the CMP and became a separate entity from the Department of the Army.

The problem could be with the receiver or barrel. Either could be shifting in the stock. The best way to test this is in a rest. That eliminates, or greatly reduces the chance of a cheek weld inconsistency that can affect shot placement. A torque wrench would be a good idea to check the action screws fastening calibration.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:04 pm

i've shot the ss remingtons out of my 144lsa and have had no issues yours might have an oversize chamber. they did give excellent accuracy out to 75yards after that the hv stuff grouped better.