Henry, old eyes, iron sights update

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Henry, old eyes, iron sights update

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:39 am

Well after using the Williams WGRS54 receiver sight and a Firesight fiber optic front we learned a lot of things. Tried using the shoot n see 3 inch targets but did not get the groups I expectd, the front ight covers the bull completely at 25 yards and you get wide groups. Tried some targets with a 4 inch black and they were better, tried the shoot n see 5-1/2 bulls and that is what you need. At 25 yards the front sight using POA is POI, you lose the 3 inch bull and can not stay centered, the 4 inch was better but the 5-1/2 are the best as you can see black all around the green front sight. Green show up the best against the black target. Not really satisfied with the peep as shooting Remona with the stock rear and a Firesight or my old 4 digit 10/22 with A HiViz front and rear I was shooting the open sights better. Found a Williams blade assembly that replaces the peep aperture slide was available but my dealer could not get one as Brownell's did not stock the. The factory is less than 50 miles from her so when I took Ma to her doctor last Monday and we were just about half way there, we did a road trip and picked one up at the factory. The notched rear on all 3 guns and the fiber optic front work well for me, others opinions may vary.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Have your tried a Dot scope or Reflex type. With these you do not need near vision.

Open sights and my eyes do not fare the best way. I have a pair of glasses for close work only, bi & tri focals. I can see my sights real good but not the target. I'm have been thinking of changing my right lens to near on my regular glasses, then the sights will be clear. But since I can not wear those for every day use I have been reluctant to try it.

Or if you want to go with a laser, I found some real cheap ones on eBay. I paid less then $22 to the door. It came with a weaver mount and shotgun mount. The shot gun mount will fit most any gun. The laser had a remote switch and standard push button one. It used a Li battery good for 300 hrs. It had enough power to see 50 yrds in bright sun light. It could be seen at 70 yrds but not near as bright.

I should have tried it on my MKIII to see what the tree rats would do when a red dot was on them.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:53 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Have your tried a Dot scope or Reflex type. With these you do not need near vision.
Got a couple of red dots and a holographic sight nd they are great indoors nd in overcast conditions, but in bright sunlight they just get washed out and disappear in the brightness. IIro sight and no prescription lneses work the best for me as my left and dominant eye is good for short distance and my right eye other than the blur in the center due to retina damage is good for distance. Left eye sees the front sight and the right sees the target pretty well, and it works or me. Shoot everything with both eyes open and always have. Was right eye dominant until the retina damage made me left eye dominant.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.