Smallbore BenchRest USBR

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ultramag44

Post by ultramag44 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi KAZ,

Yes, the wind DOESN'T care how much $$ is spent on guns, scopes, rests, etc. I good wind flag is mandatory, and trying to read the wind is almost as much art as skill!

That being said, the best wind reader CAN'T shoot well with a hinky (Caldwell or plastic) rest, loose or cheezy (BSA, CURRENT Tasco or any Chinese) scope, or a weak rifle.

That being said: You DO NOT need a $4000.00 rifle, $1000.00 - 45X scope and a $1000.00 rest & rear bag to win, or @ least get in the $$.

Last weekend I shot a 250-11 X.

1956 Winchester 52C, a late 70's Redfield 3200 - 24X scope, SEB Rest & rear bag.

One of 5 match targets, 50 - 4X

5-shot Practice group @ 50 yards, Wolf Match Extra

SEB Rest & SEB rear bag (Himmerli .308 w/ Redfield 3200 - 24X scope)

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:26 am

UM, Nice shooting! Congrats on the 250, I finally shot one in competition so I can appreciate just how difficult it is to do. The match that I shot my 250 12X in I lost to a 250 13X :( Tough crowd! I really like your equipment list. That SEB rest set up is the best two piece to be had. I'm lucky that the unlimited 50-50 matches I shoot allow me to use my Pappas rest. I see several Winnie 52s on the line, and that old fine Redfield is a legend. I'm up to two wind flags, and one wind indicator which is more than I can watch most times :? Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:02 am

KAZ wrote:UM, Nice shooting! Congrats on the 250, I finally shot one in competition so I can appreciate just how difficult it is to do. The match that I shot my 250 12X in I lost to a 250 13X :( Tough crowd! I really like your equipment list. That SEB rest set up is the best two piece to be had. I'm lucky that the unlimited 50-50 matches I shoot allow me to use my Pappas rest. I see several Winnie 52s on the line, and that old fine Redfield is a legend. I'm up to two wind flags, and one wind indicator which is more than I can watch most times :? Regards
Close but no cigar!! Somene has to be second but why did it have to be you. Got to get back to my one piece rest project before
spring. Got the work area cleaned nd now only have to get a cuple of rooms painted and get on with it.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Well baom you have such a great shop to do projects in 8) You may not have this problem,but I can clean/organize my(tiny compared to your shop) shop, and do one project(doesn't matter large or small) and the shop looks like it has never been cleaned! Never ends. How are you going to do the rear of your one piece rest? The Pappas has a delrin piece on a pedestal that fits the bottom of the stock securely. James Pappas is a great guy, and I'll bet that he would send you the correct one for your stock if you called him. Let me know if you need his contact info. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:01 pm

KAZ wrote:Well baom you have such a great shop to do projects in 8) You may not have this problem,but I can clean/organize my(tiny compared to your shop) shop, and do one project(doesn't matter large or small) and the shop looks like it has never been cleaned! Never ends. How are you going to do the rear of your one piece rest? The Pappas has a delrin piece on a pedestal that fits the bottom of the stock securely. James Pappas is a great guy, and I'll bet that he would send you the correct one for your stock if you called him. Let me know if you need his contact info. Regards
The easiest thing to make in any shop is a mess. My worst habit is using a tool and then not putting it away after use, after a while you can find nothing when you want it and you have no room left to work. When I was working in the serve tech business, I made it a point to put all tools away before I went home as it made starting the next day lot easier. Have not decided what to do no the rear rest yet, really need a few pics of the rest with your gun in it for ideas. Got other projects in the fire at this time. Painting a couple of rooms and moving the bedroom part of my office /bedroom to a smaller bedtime and making the other room ands office/lounge/TV area for Ma and I and Bear of course. My manager at my shotgunning club needs some money ad will be helping me with the painting and installing an new floor coverings, ten bucks and hour is not bad as he does a good job and I will be helping him and he will be really helping me. The older I get the harder a lot of things get to do..May be above freezing Wednesday will have to take TAZ and Nyla out to play.
Last edited by bearandoldman on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 pm

I'll get the pictures, the rear will be the easiest part to do. With your skills I'll bet you can copy in wood with excellent results. Regards

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:40 pm

baom, here is a link to some great pictures of the Pappas rest. Some good ideas for you. Regards
http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/Webs/Rests.html

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50 pm

KAZ wrote:baom, here is a link to some great pictures of the Pappas rest. Some good ideas for you. Regards
http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/Webs/Rests.html
Thanks, will store that away for future use