SAVAGE MII

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Hope that El Cheapo MarkII does not make your CZ look too bad, mine shoots great for the money.
What ever happened with the broken stock gun??????
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:16 am

TB, the only thing that might be more exciting than a new rifle would be TWO new rifles. I will be looking forward to an unbiased Savage/CZ shoot off 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Kaz, I just finished mounting the 6.5x24 - 44mm Fed Intensity scope on the MK IIg. Looks awesome. I did remove the rear sight to clear the AO lens of the scope. I was surprised how easily it drifted out. I sure didn't want to have to get in movin' match with it.

Now I need to get on line and see what I can put together for the CZ. I knew I should have bought two of those intensity scopes. I almost did order a second, but didn't figure I would get two .22s. I took the above mentioned Intensity off my Moss 44b. I guess I will put it up for sale to ease my outlay for all this.

If I did not have honey-do chores this afternoon, I would head for the range to try out the MK IIg. I have to work next Saturday, so it looks like it might be two weeks before I can get out. May I will have whatever scope I decide on by then and have them both ready to go. I need to buy one of those BKL dovetail conversion gadgets so I can use some Weaver rings. I could not bind a tip off that would accomodate more than a 38 mm obj. lens. OH OH!!! I stopped in WalMart on my way to Bass Pro this morning and they had Fed. AutoMatch. First I have seen in 8 months anyway. Bought 3 boxes. They had a nearly full ammo case, which is also the first time in many months that I saw that.

I'll get a pic up of the Sav first chance I get.
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Got them both out to the range a week ago Saturday. The MKIIg shot great. I only set up the target at 25 yards, but I did shoot some rocks and twigs on the back berm at +/-65 yards with each. The Savage shot everything very well. I really like the trigger. Took a little bit to get used to the take-up, but then it was very smooth. Maybe a 3 lb. pull. I put maybe 200 hundred rounds of a little bit of everything through it. Fed Bulk, AutoMatch and Win EXpert HV seemed to all do very well. The Rem Goldens were poor, as expected. The Rem target and Win SS were okay, but nothing special. The Fed AM was probably the best.

Then, I got out the CZ after about an hour and limbered it up. I had put an Intensity scope 2.8 x 10x on it. But the parallax was horrible. I had to be very careful with my cheek weld, but the CZ was awesome. The trigger was a good as my Medalist. The previous owner had worked it over very nicely. I see no reason to change anything there. Fed Bulk and Automatch both shot to the same POI at 25 and 65. I put 5 rounds in a .22 hole on the clay bank on the back berm, and it didn't look any bigger until about the 4th shot. I need to loosen the MKII up a bit more before I call the CZ the winner, but it sure does shoot nice. I sent the scope back and have a different one ordered. I am going to try the Fed Int 6.5 x 24 on the CZ. I have a Simmons Master Series 4x12 - 40mm AO coming that I will put on the Savage and see how that works. Both are sure fun to shoot. I didn't want to quit shooting either one. I had yard work this past week end and my Princes turned 26 on Sunday, so we paid her a visit for a little B-day party. Maybe my scope will be in by next weekend and I can get out again. If nothing else, I will go zero the CZ with the Fed Int on it. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:52 pm

TB you should buy yourself a good arbor type boresighter. I have a Bushnell and it makes scope swapping easy. Swap scopes and shoot 3 to 5 round and then adjust a little to zero. Usually within a half inch of center at the furthest after the swap. Sure get my money's worth out of that purchase.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 pm

I know mine has saved me enough in ammo cost to pay for it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:32 am

I will have to look into one of those bore sighters. I have never used one. The lazer ones that are built into a centerfire cartridge would be great if you only shot one caliber.

Thanks for the info. TB
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:14 am

Tigerbeetle wrote:I will have to look into one of those bore sighters. I have never used one. The lazer ones that are built into a centerfire cartridge would be great if you only shot one caliber.

Thanks for the info. TB
When you have like dozen rifles and scopes, you may watn to use a particular one some day, just because you want to. You can mount it on the Weaver rail and boresight it in a few minutes. When you get to the range less than 10 shots will get it zeroed. Her is the one I have
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=304939
This is the same one my gunsmith uses. I bought this one off Ebay cheap, found out it was way off, but my smith showed me how to realign it, now it works great. You remove the front theaded cap and there are 4 screws to align the reticle. Took my gun out and after it was zeroed, I put in the boresighter annd realigned it with the scoped gun. I can swap scopes and with the right ammo be damn near on center at 25 yards onthe first shot.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 am

I am home with a devil of a cold today. I think I will have some hot chocolate and a nap right now, but I will hop on e-bay here after while and see what might be drifting around. I don't think I want to spend $90 for one. I zeroed in about 10 shots the other day with each rifle. But it would be fun to play with as well as benefit from.

Hope to dump this cold in a hurry. I think my darling daughter gave it to me when we went to see her Sunday for her birthday. That is nasty of me to say that, but I know she was down with a cold earlier last week. :( TB
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am

Tigerbeetle wrote:I am home with a devil of a cold today. I think I will have some hot chocolate and a nap right now, but I will hop on e-bay here after while and see what might be drifting around. I don't think I want to spend $90 for one. I zeroed in about 10 shots the other day with each rifle. But it would be fun to play with as well as benefit from.

Hope to dump this cold in a hurry. I think my darling daughter gave it to me when we went to see her Sunday for her birthday. That is nasty of me to say that, but I know she was down with a cold earlier last week. :( TB
Children share with the old ones. Actually you are not old, I have children your age. This year is the 60th anniversary of my high school graduation. I must be the old one. I thought my boresighter was junk until my smith showed e how to fix it. ggod luck on Ebay nd getting rid of the cold. You might try Jack Daniels for cold medicine, if it don't cure you, you just wnot give a dman about it after enough JD.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:11 pm

The LaserLyte is around $35 is the one I use. I uses arbors to fit the bores then you look down your sights/scope. It project a beam on to your wall or special reflective target for 100yrds. Personally I generally sight in at 25'. Then after I have finished sighting the gun then I recheck and make a note. So you have a reference point. Bushnell sells one that looks like it. Not sure if it's made of Al like the LaserLyte is.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:13 am

BAOM, being a little more in favor of Scotch, I had a dram or two or three of Famous Grouse which seemed to sooth the rotorutor in my chest. I am going to go see the medics here in a little bit and see if I can't get a little more high powered pills to cure this crud. I didn't have a chance to look on e-bay last night, so I will later today. I will see if I can see what the Laserlight looks like also. [I do have a inch or so of JD single barrel black label in the medicine chest just in case I need it,] TB
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:40 am

TB, when I was your daughter;s age I drank bourbon, can't remember what brand, too far back. When I was your age, I became sophisticated and switched to Johnny Walker Black. When I passed 60 I began to realize that I was more intelligent when I was young and went back to bourbon. Guess a crotchety old man and a youngster know the best. Just like the taste better, got some Johnny Walker in the cabinet that has not been touched in ages. Redicoverd the greater things in life like Makers Mark and JB and JD Black. Everyday drink is just palin old Jim Beam , not bad and keeps the costs down, more money for guns and ammo..
As far as the boresightr, really do not care for the laser in the bore things. Thje optical grid ones are much easier to use. You do not need a target amny feet away.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am

Here is the link to the one I have. I have see this one on sale at times without the shotgun arbors for $35. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=112880

Here is the Bushnell which in the $30 price range. But some have given it some poor reviews, mainly related to the switch. I think I have seen this one at Walmart or one similar. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=636671
David

Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Tried one of those laser ones and really did not care for it. Yes it cost a lot less, but most times you get what you pay for. You can use one of these most any place and you do not need much room, a vise or a target on a wall some distance away. Just put this one in the bore, shoulder the gun and adjust the scope. Most of the gunsmiths I know use one of these or the magnetic one. This one can be adjusted to your gun and it works Swapped scopes on my 4 digit carbine yesterday and wwas zeroed within 5 shots. Would not have taken that long but I prefer a group of 3 to start from. Image