Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:14 pm

chadflys wrote:What do you think.

chadflys
Evidently I don't think much about rust as the gun is a range gun and never out in the rain, The pressure pad is two thicknesses of a closed cell foam that SnapOn sold and I used for tool box liners when I was working for a living. It will not absorb moisture or oil. The actions in both guns are up against the wood or the bedding material and the barrel is not touching anything until the foam pad about 3/4 wide by 1 to 1-1/2 long and it works for me.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by chadflys » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Here is my test at 25 yds with Remington subsonic. Wind was 0-5 left quartering tailwind. moderately tight action screw and slightly looser barrel lug screw.

I have never posted pics before, lets see if this works......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:26 pm

I see the pic fine. The groups look fine for Remington. Have you tried any other brands for groups?

R,
Bullseye

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by chadflys » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Not yet, tried some wolf match extra today before the match. It didn't seem to be doing to well so I tried some rws match rifle....seemed a little better but I have never scored so bad. 220 out of 250. I consistantly score about 230-233 with Federal bulk, or Remington Subsonic and the barrel was toughing the stock. I have since fixed that and trying to get it togather. Hope I didnt screw it up.

It was a bit more windy than I've been shooting in. But I guess that is somthing I have to learn too. I'll have to try the ammo again with the group practice. Wouldn't it be better if I practice my grouping at 50yds. I just did 25 because someone here asked what they were at 25?

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:35 am

One of my Annies loves the RWS Rifle , but more like SK Match, and some like SK Standard Plus. Yes, you are correct that you want to be at 50 yds because your matches are at 50. However, when I'm trying to test,troubleshoot,etc I go to 25 to get the wind and other variables minimized. Sometimes we get lucky and the barreled action/stock is a perfect fit,but, your rifle seems to be one that wants to shoot, and needs to be bedded. Try to find a good Smith to pillar bed it for you. Regards
Last edited by KAZ on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:36 am

I do all my load testing at 50 yards. Our BR matches are held at 50 yards so I load test and practice at 50 yards.

Those are nice groups for Remington ammo.
If you can find any SK Subsonic buy a box of 50 and give them a try.

What set up do you have on the bench? Sand bags, front rest & rear bag?
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by chadflys » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:55 am

Front and rear bag...nothing special....Well Walmart Special I guess. I think at 25yds there should be one ragged hole no bigger than 1/4in. and the same at 50 no bigger than 1/2. But I do see a benefit of 25yds to reduce wind variables. Its a little tough at 25 because my scope has a lot of paralax and hard on my eyes to focus back and forth on target and crosshairs. I have to look away and blink and refocus a lot.

I'll keep working on it. Thanks for all the feedback. I post again under 25yd ammo test. I'll leave things same at the moment. I have a torque screwdriver on the way. That will give me some kind of clue as to what tight or loose is.

There is a post as well on Rimefirecentral I'll copy and paste here as to get your opinion on doityourself piller job. seems pretty easy and has been getting great results. I don't want to screw anything up, but I'm just worried too if I take it to a gunsmith and it comes back worse then what???? Can't go back after that can you?

Chadflys

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:11 am

chadflys, try the pressure pad, it is quick and if it does not work it is easy to change back to what you had. Just make sure it is thick enough to put a little pressure on the barrel. Remember nothing ventured nothing gained, and if it works it is a cheap fix.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.