Recommedations wanted please

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Recommedations wanted please

Post by chadflys » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:05 am

Not sure where to start. I'd like to purchse a good straight shooting 22 for target. I want to be competitive with the guys that shoot the Anschutz ,but do not want to spend that kind of money. Anyone have any advice? CZ is nice, but still kinda expensive. I have an old Winchester 67a youth that I when I was a kid, and my dad had also. Its beat up and bent up, but I can put shot through the same hole at 25 yards open sight. If this old thing can do it. Surly there are some good inexpensive alternatives. The only thing is......I'm not crazy about the Ruger 10/22.

Thanks,

Chadflys

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:47 am

I haven't actually owned one but the Ruger 77/22 may be a good option. I have heard good things about this bolt action 22.

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by chadflys » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:02 am

I guess I'll start there, thanks

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I believe that the best buy today is the Savage Mark II. Get the one with the laminated stock as it is only a few bucks more. Then just find out what ammo it likes. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

KAZ wrote:I believe that the best buy today is the Savage Mark II. Get the one with the laminated stock as it is only a few bucks more. Then just find out what ammo it likes. Regards
Now, I suppose I need one of them also. The only bolt gun I have is an ancient Ward's Westernfile, think it is a Mossberg 46b or something like that, Has a 7 shot magazine just like a Mossberg and the receiver was tapped doe a scope mount, got on that has Weaver rail from, can't remember the name, but they have Mossberg parts.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:06 pm

For the money and accuracy it's hard to beat a CZ.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:46 pm

KAZ wrote:I believe that the best buy today is the Savage Mark II. Get the one with the laminated stock as it is only a few bucks more. Then just find out what ammo it likes. Regards
Young greener shooting his MKIIG w/Xpert22 at 50 yards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:11 pm

greener wrote:

And when did this onbe come home, I thought you had to donate to the educational fun. Have some money in your sahoe or something. Whats with the 2 oooops off there around 8:00 o'clock?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Isn't youth great. Why was my youth given to me when I was so young and foolish?
haka :?

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:05 pm

bearandoldman wrote: And when did this onbe come home, I thought you had to donate to the educational fun. Have some money in your sahoe or something. Whats with the 2 oooops off there around 8:00 o'clock?
I'm innocent of buying another, Len. I'm still in the freewill gift's and offerings mode to further No. 4's education. My son shot these. I believe the "oops" were sight adjustments. At least that's the story I'd tell. :lol: Did pretty well for an inexpensive rifle with cheap ammo.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 pm

Personally, I think you can not beat the CZ 452 American, for the combination of accuracy, quality, and nice wood. And, if you have a Walmart in your neighborhood, that sells firearms, you should be able to have them order you one from the firearms catalog. At least, that is how I got mine. Took just about a week from purchase to arrival. And I believe it was about 350 bucks. Compared to an Anschutz....dirt cheap.

Y

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:39 am

Posted by greener "Young greener shooting his MKIIG w/Xpert22 at 50 yards" I'm not at all surprised that any member of the greener family is a SHOOTER as that target proves. It also reinforces the belief that great work can be done with inexpensive equipment/ammunition, and it is still the shooter who makes the difference 8)

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by chadflys » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks everyone for the honest feedback. I like the looks of the CZ 452 american and price is not much more than the Savage. If I go the Savage or CZ route I'm assume the heavy barrel is the way to go...??? If there are any other recommendations please don't hesitate to jump in.

Thanks,

Chad

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:20 am

KAZ wrote:Posted by greener "Young greener shooting his MKIIG w/Xpert22 at 50 yards" I'm not at all surprised that any member of the greener family is a SHOOTER as that target proves. It also reinforces the belief that great work can be done with inexpensive equipment/ammunition, and it is still the shooter who makes the difference 8)
Yes, the young Greener picks it up from the blood lines, the old Greener married into it. The Lady Greener as I understand is an excellent shot. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get an accurate shooter, as Henry proved to me with his original barrel. Barrels vary in accuracy whether low or high priced.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 am

Chadflys, from your first post it seemed that you had already passed on the CZs as to expensive right now. Between the Savage and the CZ I would go with the CZ. This is my CZ American 16" threaded(for suppressor) that will shoot under 1/2" @50 yds with Remington Subsonic with a compact Burris 1.5X5. This standard barrel at 16" will shoot every bit as good as my CZ Varmint heavy barrel with big scope. As bearandoldman said barrels on any brand are luck of the draw. That said there are some great values on used Mossberg's that will out shoot many if you can find one that comes with a proof target. Have fun!