What is preferred cleaning rod here???

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What is preferred cleaning rod here???

Post by chadflys » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 am

Going to get me a new one today. Going one-piece Proshot SS or Pro-Tec carbon fiber. My aluminum screw togather one is going in the field bag.

Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:53 am

I've always used Dewey one-piece nylon coated cleaning rods in my personal firearms. http://www.deweyrods.com/

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:03 am

I'm with Bullseye on the Dewey. It's what I use for all my centerfire guns. For my rimfire guns, I usually use a piece of string trimmer line, doubled in half, with a small piece of plastic tubing slide over it (1/2 inch long). The tube fits snuggly over the doubled line near the closed end of the line. I then slip a cleaning patch between the doubled line and hold it in place by pushing the tube up against it. I then pass the opposite end of the line through the barrel from the chamber end, apply solvent or CLP to the patch, grasp the ends of the line at the muzzle end and pull it through. Sounds a bit complicated in print, but in actual application, it works great. Pulls all the crud out of the barrel, without it falling into the action. A couple of times a year, I do a good scrub job with a brush and a Dewey.

Y

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Cleaning rods

Post by stork » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Ditto on Dewey. Been using them for over 25 years.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 pm

OK, I own Dewey rods in 22, 30 cal and they were the best. Now, the barrel makers say that a hardened steel uncoated is the way to go. They don't want even a soft steel. The best ones today are by IVY http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/W ... ories.html

Since you are starting out you might consider them. I bought one for my 22 rim fires. Of course a proper fitting bore guide that protects the chamber is as important as a quality rod. All agree that improper cleaning has destroyed many barrels
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association