Nylon 66 for target what do you think?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Nylon 66 for target what do you think?

Post by chadflys » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:49 am

I want to compete in the weekly .22 match and all I have readily available is a couple of nylon 66's that my dad still has. I grew up shooting them. Its been years since I shot them, but I remember them bing pretty accurate. I want to be competitive, maybe I won't be, but I guess it could be good practice until I can get a good target 22. What do you think?

Chad

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:51 am

What kind of shooting competition is this? The Nylon 66 is a pretty accurate rifle but is better suited for "Light Rifle" type targets than smallbore ones.

R,
Bullseye

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by chadflys » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:58 am

Not sure exactly. I just saw a sign posted saying .22 match every Wednesday. Going to the range today to get more details. I know one of the matches is silhouette and I have seen many a fellow with some nice benchrest setups. I have not asked to many questions out there yet. I new and just getting to know some fellows.

Chad

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:05 am

Here's my suggestion - take your rifle to the match. If it is not of good enough quality, one of the other members will likely offer to share one of theirs with you for the night. I know that's what I would do. There's been a few times where I've been beaten by my own rifle in a match. In one case my greatest competitor's rifle broke and I lent him mine to finish out. He won with my gun. Also, folks like to get others into the competition so I'm sure that they'll help you out with advice on how to play and give you some good tips along the way. Just explain your new to the game and they'll line up to help you out. There's nobody friendlier than regular shooters.

R,
Bullseye
Last edited by Bullseye on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by chadflys » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:05 am

I just found our website and its small bore silhouette. It didn't say what distance or rules or anything.

Chad

chadflys
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by chadflys » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:19 am

I'll do that, thanks Bullseye.

Chad

jim46ok

Nylon 66 not good for scope...

Post by jim46ok » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:09 am

Love my 66. BUT,,, the dovetail scope mount is on the stamped receiver, and not solid to the barrel. I fought it tooth and nail, accurate as heck with open sights, but absolutely would NOT stay sighted in with scope. As long as you only shoot open sights you should be ok. Consider changing out the plastic (nylon?) trigger. It sucks. Have fun!

winshooter

Post by winshooter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 pm

I believe those Nylon 66's have some collector value because of their age and non-availability now. My recommendation is to continue to shoot them but not to make any irreversible modifications that would detract from their collector value. Since they belong to your Dad you'll probably have them for a long time but still......................nice old guns in original condition are a pleasure to see and use.

Mike
"Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
Benjamin Franklin

Retired Navy 1966-2004
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member
SBR&GC Member

mkIII1022

Post by mkIII1022 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:48 pm

i just recently seen and shot for the first time a nylon 66. and at 25 yards with iron sights i did better than the scoped rifles. man that thing was an absolute tack driver