How to tighten a Rem 572 pump: or REMONA'S Sister (UGLY)

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

How to tighten a Rem 572 pump: or REMONA'S Sister (UGLY)

Post by KAZ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:46 pm

Some of you may remember that bearandoldman and I began thinking that we needed a HENRY pump action. Well they are made of unobtainium and are not to be found, and cost an arm and a leg if you do find one. So, I check out the sale rack at my gun range and there is this Remington 572. It is rough with plenty of blemishes including a broken front sight,but a glass smooth action for sub $200. Anyway I grabbed it up on a trial basis and stuck a known good red dot on top. I could not get it to shoot. Scattered shots in a 12" diameter circle with no round within 4" of any other. I passed, and my pal who owns the range said that he had the same experience and suspected a bent barrel. Back in the rack it went, I don't want an inaccurate firearm at any price. Then bearandoldman goes into his favorite shop and there is a mint 572. He discovers the dowel screw on the side of the receiver that has to fit into a shallow dimple to keep the barrel tight on this design. The barrels are not threaded in. So, I make another run at the 572 at my range,tighten up the dowel screw being careful to assure that it fits in the dimple. This target at 25 yards with Remington bulk ammo is the result. Needless to say I paid the man for his rifle. Thanks to Bullseye for the forum, and bearandoldman man for his engineering mind. 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:15 pm

Even an old hog finds acorns some of the time. Ugly must be Remona's older sister. Numrich must have those front sights, I changed mine to a ram and a Williams firesight.

Here's what I did to tighten up Remona's pattern. I tightened the barrel's dowel screw which is found on the upper left side of the rifle's receiver.

The dowel screw must be tight in the receiver and also indexed into the dimple of the barrel to hold it secure. One half turn of the dowel screw can make a big difference in the performance of this pump action rifle.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:40 am

From my misadventures with the Williams peep I wound up with a very nice brass bead front sight that luck of the draw was a perfect (after minor file work on the sight) fit. Now that I know she will shoot I'll just keep the red dot as it is extra. In fact I did my 1 1/2" milk jug cap drill and kept one bouncing out to 35 yards hitting with every shot including some when the cap was moving. Great fun 8) I actually still prefer my H001, but this old pump reminds me of summer days with the carnival in town blasting away with a gallery pump gun. Certainly she is now capable of being an excellent hunting/plinking rifle with that fast, smooth pump action. A side note was that the owner traded it in to my dealer because it wouldn't shoot for him. To bad for him that he isn't a member of this forum, we might have helped him to resolve the problems. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 am

I still have my original brass dot front sight in my toolbox. His bad luck was your good luck, and luckily I felt the barrel move and remembered what the guys at the shop told me. Put a bigger scope on the Eight and might just make a range trip soon. Damn as you get older and hear more things it is more information you have to retain for future reference.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:58 pm

An update on Remona and a word of advice, check the screw before you go to the range or maybe it should be degreased and use some Blue Loctite. Have been shooting the stock iron sights pretty much lately and things have been going well. Bout a 3/8 to Weaver adapter the other day so I could mount one of my red dots or my holographic sight as they all are Weaver size clamps. Got to the range a little bit yesterday day and got it sighted in roughly, so went back today to complete the job. Figure I may have to make some changes when I change reticles on the holographic, it has 4 different ones. Man! can not get things to go right, extremely erratic my adjustment seem to make it go all over the paper. Check the sight and rail and they are tight, grab the barrel and you can fell it move, dowel screw was about 3/4 turn loose. You will never notice this when using the stock sight but only when using a sight mounted on the receiver. Bot sights on the barrel and you are still in line, but with one on the barrel and the other on the receiver, you get great variations between POI and POA.