Just trying to catch up

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Just trying to catch up

Post by greener » Sat May 30, 2009 8:04 pm

Reading posts by Kaz and Bearandoldman, my interest in .22 lever guns has been piqued. I've been nosing around gun shows and ads in the Trader but haven't found anything at a price/condition that got me interested. I was in Green Top this morning to checkout their reloading supplies and wandered by the rifle rack. They had a pump I didn't like, but they did have a couple Henry's. Since I'm behind in the arms race, I figured I needed a little catching up:

The rifle shoots well and has a decent trigger. I got decent groups at 25 yards from a rest and standing with both Federal 510 and CCI SV. Shoots about 2" right and I didn't have anything to whale on the sights with. I was looking at lever guns a couple years ago and, after shooting the Henry, I should have gotten one then.

Still behind, but catching up.

I also have a rescued bear, but when my granddaughter finds out I have it, I'll probably have to unrescue it. :lol:

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Sat May 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Your rifle has some nice looking wood.

Have fun with it..........
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Rob, they have a decent factory trigger, mine measures 3-1/2 pounds and a clean break. Not a bad shooter at all, you just about have to buy a Henry new, never seen a used one yet, Kaz can give your Henry a Roman Numeral as that is his department no, me, I just try to keep the gun sales rolling.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 30, 2009 8:44 pm

bearandoldman wrote:I just try to keep the gun sales rolling.
And you are doing a fine job.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 30, 2009 9:05 pm

greener wrote:
Thank you, I do the best I can for an old guy, but keep buying them myself instead of just promoting sales.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Glad to see that stimulus check put to a use that will frost the force. Excellent wood on HENRY V for certain. You will feel sorry for all who don't own a HENRY. 8)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 31, 2009 7:51 am

Is that a play on the right to "BEAR" arms"? I've seen stickers about the "Right to arm Bears" but I've never actually saw anyone do it before. :D

Nice looking lever rifle. Looks like some one has been dropping money at the gun store lately. This one and the Standard model all in the same day. How's SWMBO taking that? Have we been stowing away a little mad money for a rainy day?

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 31, 2009 8:09 am

greener wrote:
Well, how does Henry V shoot. We have lot of solutions to the crude front sight for old guy, even semi old like you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 31, 2009 8:41 am

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:
Well, how does Henry V shoot. We have lot of solutions to the crude front sight for old guy, even semi old like you.
It shot consistently from a rest and standing, just a smidge high with the sight picture I was using and a couple inches right at 25 yards. You are right about the front sights and my (semi) old eyes. I'm going to take a dowel and hammer out next time to fix the windage.