My idea of my DREAM RIFLE, Rimfire of course.

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

SD Handgunner

My idea of my DREAM RIFLE, Rimfire of course.

Post by SD Handgunner » Sat May 16, 2009 12:26 am

I have long been a Rimfire Fanatic. I have also been a long time fan of the Ruger 77/22 Rimfire Rifles. In fact many, many years ago I actually wrote a letter asking Ruger why they hadn't come out with a Rimfire Rifle basically the same size and shape as their Ruger M77R Centerfire Rifles. To my amazement the very next year Ruger unveiled what they had been working on.

At any rate I have had a few Ruger K77/22VBZ's over the years. I mainly used these Rugers to shoot Indoor Bench Rest Competition with but also put them into service shooting Gophers every spring & summer. There were a few things that bugged me about the VBZ verson.

First of all the Target Grey Finish bugged me. I would have perferred if Ruger had just left the Stainless-Steel looking like Stainless-Steel. Secondly the Comb of the Factory Laminated Stock was not high enough for me to get a proper cheek weld when high rings and a high magnification adjustable objective scope was used. Lastly was the tapered 24" Barrel, and thought Ruger should have put a 20" Bull Barrel on these Rifles like everyone was doing with the 10-22's.

Well all that changed when I bought a Ruger K77/22RP Stainless-Synthetic .22. I again being picky did not like the hollowed out buttstock on Ruger's Synthetic Stock. I immediately went to work and made some plastic filler panels to fill in the hollow portion of the buttstock. Once I had them made I covered them (as well as the pistol grip & forend filler panels) with camo tape. I worked on the Trigger and installed a Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO Riflescope with Fine Crosshair / Dot Reticle on this Rifle and went to shooting.

While this Rifle as is shot great, it was not the Target Rifle I was looking for. This past winter I decided to give my Stainless Ruger a makeover.

I promptly ordered the following parts:

Clark Custom Guns 20" .920" Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel (Clark Custom Guns makes their barrels from Lothar-Walther Barrel Blanks that have a very good reputation for Accuracy. Clark Custom Guns also uses their own design Match Chamber Reamer, which again has a very good reputation for Accuracy.)

The stock was a bit more complicated as there are not all that many options available. I had my heart set on a Richards Microfit Bench Rest Laminated Wood Stock, but I was not willing to go through the 13 + week waiting to get the stock and then have to completely finish it. In the end I picked up a Volquartsen Laminated Wood Rollover Monte Carlo Rifle Stock. Prior to putting the Volquartsen Stock together with this Rifle I totally free floated the Barrel Channel on the stock so the only portion of the barrel that touches the stock is the rear 2" next to the receiver.

To transform my Ruger from the Synthetic Stock to a Wood Stock I had to order a Trigger Guard, Magazine Well and Action Screws from a Ruger K77/22VBZ. Once they arrived I had to polish off the Target Grey Finish so the stainless-steel matched the rest of my barreled action.

I again worked over the trigger. While I had it quite good I wanted it better and lighter for a Bench Rest Rifle. I spent hours honing and polishing. I made a new Trigger / Sear Spring and eventually had the receiver drilled and tapped for an adjustable trigger overtravel screw. The end result is a super crisp, super smooth 1 1/4 pound trigger that is perfectly safe having passed all of the safety tests I give a gun after doing a trigger job.

Once this Rifle was all assembled I headed for the indoor shooting range to break in the barrel. I did a series of shoot & clean for the first 500 rounds cleaning at different intervals. Once I had 500 rounds through this barrel I totally cleaned the bore and started shooting Target Ammo through it.

This is the very first USBR Bench Rest Target I shot with this Custom Ruger 77/22. On this target the "10 Ring" measures .100". To score a "10" the bullet's edge only needs to touch the "10 Ring", however to score a "10X" the bullet needs to obliterate the "10 Ring" so no portion of the "10 Ring" is visible outside of the bullet hole.

There are 25 bullseyes on this target for score (the top 3 are for practice, sighting in etc. As such a perfect score would be 250-25x. My very first attempt netted me a 250-10x and I was extremely pleased.

This has been a super fun project and the end result was well worth all the trials and tribulations.

Larry

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 16, 2009 2:54 am

Nice shooter.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 16, 2009 9:11 am

Looks like a lot of fun. What was the distance for the targets?

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 16, 2009 10:18 am

Great rifle,Great Gun smithing,Great shooting. I believe that his target is at 50 yards. My best target(same exact Target) is 196 with my Anschutz 64 MPR although from learning from him I've scored myself wrong in that I've scored some of mine 9s that it seems are 10s. I'm just getting into this type of shooting and working out ammo choices. Regards

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Sat May 16, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks

That target was shot at our indoor shooting range at 18 yards (the farthest distance we can get in our range) in the middle of January.

Outdoors at 50 yards the scores run in the mid 220's so far.

Larry

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 pm

I was thinking it was around 50' with the indoor range set up I saw in the picture. Not many places can boast about having a 50yd indoor range. It still is a nice target. Have you tried it out on an A17 target?

R,
Bullseye

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Sat May 16, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks Bullseye.

Actually I have not tried it out on an A-17 Target. I really SUCK at Off Hand Shooting, and may be the worlds worst off hand rifle shot. This Rifle may be a tad heavy for this old country boy to shoot off hand anyway at 10 1/4 pounds.

I have had it out a few times shooting Gophers from either Crossed Shooting Sticks or with the Bipod on a portable shooting bench. I really like the Fine Crosshair / Dot Reticle for shooting Gophers, except when the range gets out to around 100 yards and I need to hold over. Othewise out to 75 yards or so I just put the dot on the gopher, touch the trigger and let the Hollow Point do it's work.

Larry

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Bullseye wrote:I was thinking it was around 50' with the indoor range set up I saw in the picture. Not many places can boast about having a 50yd indoor range. It still is a nice target. Have you tried it out on an A17 target?

R,
Bullseye
The club I used to belong to in a town about 25 miles North, had a 10 bay and a 4 bay, for total of 14 lanes at 25 yards. The bullet trap was ratted for .50BMG and they did shoot them there at times. They did not have enough traffic o keep operating and closed a year and a half ago. Local shop in a town about 15 miles away has two 50 yard lanes and one each of 100 and 200 yards. All are shot in concrete sewer type pipe that is earth covered and partially below grade level. The 50 yard has target on a carrier that you can run out to any distance you want, the 100 and 200 harve targets on an indexable roll and have closed circuit camera and TV monitor for spotting. If I remember correctly the 50's are 54 inch and the 100 and 200 are 48 inch tubes.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Sat May 16, 2009 2:04 pm

I sure wish we could build a 100 yard indoor, undergroun firing lane at our club, but don't see it happening anytime soon. Our member ship has been slipping the past few years, and we are just hanging on. In fact every year we run a fund raiser raffle to help offset the costs of running an indoor range. We generally try to sell 400 tickets (at $10.00 each) and have the following prizes:

1st place, Your choice, T/C Stainless-Steel Encore or G2 Contender, (Rifle or Handgun) or $500.00 cash

2nd place, Your choice Ruger Stainless-Laminated K10-22T or Ruger Stainless-Steel MKIII 5 1/2" Bull Barrel or $300.00 cash

3rd place, Your choice Nikon Monarc ATB 8x42mm Binocluars or $200.00 cash

4th place, Your choice Ruger MKIII 22/45 or Ruger Standard 10-22 Carbine or $150.00 cash

Last year our heating bill almost killed us. I contracted our LP Fuel early trying to miss higher prices and ended up paying way more than we should have.

At any rate we have just completed our 19th year. Not sure if we will make 19 more or not, but it sure has been a fun ride so far.

Larry

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon May 18, 2009 6:52 am

SD Handgunner wrote:Thanks Bullseye.

Actually I have not tried it out on an A-17 Target. I really SUCK at Off Hand Shooting, and may be the worlds worst off hand rifle shot. This Rifle may be a tad heavy for this old country boy to shoot off hand anyway at 10 1/4 pounds.
The only way to get better is to practice on your weakest position. My service rifles average 15-16# and my match rifle is closer to 18#. Smallbore shooting is a great way to improve those off hand shooting techniques. Besides, rimfire ammo is still way less expensive than the big bore centerfire cartridges.

R,
Bullseye

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Mon May 18, 2009 9:05 am

You're absolutely right Bullseye. Problem is I never shoot off hand. Even when out hunting I always use some sort of rest, most generally crossed shooting sticks.

Larry

blueridgeranger

Post by blueridgeranger » Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Hello SD Handgunner and all
SD, that is a very handsome arm, and from the results I see, also very accurate.
KAZ said it very nicely, and I doubt that I could improve on his words, but "Ditto" from me.
You have given me some very good hints as to what to do with my M77/22.
all the best, and my you continue to keep them that tight.
blueridgeranger

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Mon May 18, 2009 11:30 pm

THANKS blueridgeranger.

I had it out today shooting a few gophers. Actually I was out yesterday and shot a few gophers with it also.

I have read all about all of the Ruger 77/22's shortcomings on the net and to be honest I really have only ever had a problem with one.

That one had the hole for the barrel shank in the receiver drilled crooked. I did everything I could with that rifle to make it shoot better, and finally was able to get it better, but when shooting past the range it was zeroed for was a crap shoot guessing how much to hold off to the side.

If I remember right this is the 6th or 7th Ruger 77/22 I have had. The others were all the VBZ models. I'd do a few mods to them, get them shooting really well and one of the guys at the club would talk me out of it. I'd buy another one and start over again.

Generally speaking about the only modifications I ever did was to free float the barrels, tune the triggers, polish the bore and break in the barrels. On a couple that had really sloppy barrel shank to receiver fit I shimmed them to make them tight and that did the trick.

Good luck with your project.

Larry

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:36 am

SD Handgunner wrote:THANKS blueridgeranger.

I had it out today shooting a few gophers. Actually I was out yesterday and shot a few gophers with it also.

Larry
I wish someone had a good method for shooting moles. I could shoot all day from one spot. :(
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

SD Handgunner

Post by SD Handgunner » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:49 am

Not sure what to tell you about the moles Jack. I know shooting Gophers is sure a lot of markmanship practice and fun taboot.

Larry