A Remington Pump

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Remington PUMP Comes Home Update

Post by KAZ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Well, I started this thread with the disappointing results from shooting a 572 that I was considering acquiring. We(range owner,and I) couldn't get it to shoot a pie plate sized group despite our best efforts so I passed on it. Then bearandoldman stumbles across a primo example of a 572 and gets it to shoot respectable hunting/plinking groups. Of course his 572 is MINT and looks/feels so good. He discovers that the barrels are indexed by not only a barrel lock screw, but also a dowel screw that was added some time in the design to tighten up the barrel. Well, the one at the range has the barrel screw so I bought it after promising the owner I wouldn't attempt to return it under any circumstance. I did a deep barrel clean and sure enough the dowel screw was not tight or in the correct position. I shot a nice group with the magazine tube resting on a front bag, and the rear hand held. Ammo was Remington bulk.
three shots at 25 yds
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Is that the same gun that shot the poor groups before? Mine was erratic too until I tightened that screw. Remona shoots very well with the forqrm rested on the front bag, this provides jut enough resistance to the forearm to keep the bolt from unlocking until the round is on it's way. Remona shot better that way than on the mag tube. As we get older we get smarter, I must be close to genius now.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Same one, I'm lucky that no one bought it before I decided to after my passing on it last week. You must admit that is one crazy way to lock up a barrel. It is my understanding from threads on the RFC Remington segment that the dowel screw was added in a design change, and early ones didn't have one. If, you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have thought about checking it on this one. Night and day difference in repeatable accuracy.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm

KAZ wrote:Same one, I'm lucky that no one bought it before I decided to after my passing on it last week. You must admit that is one crazy way to lock up a barrel. It is my understanding from threads on the RFC Remington segment that the dowel screw was added in a design change, and early ones didn't have one. If, you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have thought about checking it on this one. Night and day difference in repeatable accuracy.
I had no idea what it was either until I put the bore sighter in the barrel after a range session with erratic groups. When I put the bore sighter in the barrel I could feel a movement. The I remembered what one of the guys at the shop said about it being one of the later guns with the dowel screw. Looked up a parts diagram on Numrich, tightened it and felt the barrel not moving anymore and never looked back, sure helped
Remona to be a well behaved young lady, shes is only 21.

slabsides

Post by slabsides » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:16 am

I had a Remington 12A pump (gave it to my son for getting some good grades in high school) that I enjoyed shooting, although it couldn't match the accuracy of a bolt gun, or of an old Winchester 62 that my wife's cousin gave me to fix up after it had been stolen and hidden in the wet. That one was a sharp shooter! Those are the two best slide actions I've ever worked with.
The Remington takedown system puts both sights on the barrel/front receiver half, and this was the reason for it's degree of accuracy, IMO. The sight setup on Winchester was the same, as I recall. (This was many years ago.)
I've never shot a 572, but I'd expect that tightening up the barrel/frame connection was the best thing you could do to improve accuracy. Barrels on these guns are as good as on any rimfire, so how the barrel and sights and receiver go together is the secret of accuracy, or lack of same.
Tube magazines and two piece stocks also have a bad reputation for accuracy in rifles. But I've always found that if everything is fitted and tight, that PRACTICAL accuracy is just fine. After all, we aren't gonna go to Camp Perry with a pump or lever gun! These great little rifles are at their best as iron sighted (maybe a peep) plinkers!
I'd like to find me another good 'trombone'!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:26 am

slabsides wrote:After all, we aren't gonna go to Camp Perry with a pump or lever gun! These great little rifles are at their best as iron sighted (maybe a peep) plinkers!
I'd like to find me another good 'trombone'!
Who know, us old guy have been know to do damn near anything s long as it is legal.
The 572 shot well with the iron sight especially after I changed the front over to a fiber optic by Williams, it shot some very respectable iron sight group as both the front and rear were on the barrel that was doing the shooting. The erratic groups did not show up until we put a scope on it, due to the fact the sight was on the receiver and not on the barrel, the two different planes did not stay in line.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:06 am

bearandoldman wrote:Actually the MSRP is about the same as a Henry H003T but here are none available, and they quit making the H003 some time ago. Will give it some thought and see what kind of deal we can work out, he was asking 325 for it. It is damn close to new condition.
Greets and woof to Bear,

Is this the H003 you are looking for? I noticed it has a round (vice octagon) barrel and thought you might be interested.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/freeads/ ... 5&Status=1

I really like the want ads on cheaper than dirt and plan to sell a bunch of stuff when I finally get around to cleaning out my garage.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:18 am

arizona-hermit wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Actually the MSRP is about the same as a Henry H003T but here are none available, and they quit making the H003 some time ago. Will give it some thought and see what kind of deal we can work out, he was asking 325 for it. It is damn close to new condition.
Greets and woof to Bear,

Is this the H003 you are looking for? I noticed it has a round (vice octagon) barrel and thought you might be interested.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/freeads/ ... 5&Status=1

I really like the want ads on cheaper than dirt and plan to sell a bunch of stuff when I finally get around to cleaning out my garage.
Bear and I thank you , Hermit. Yes that is an H003, if I did not already have the 572 and got it shooting well, I would probably buy it.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:23 am

Welcome slabsides!!!You are right that they are at their best as hunters/plinker's. baom and I just wanted to see if our new to us rifles were accurate for that purpose. I'll probably never shoot mine from a bench again.
Thanks for the great link arizona-hermit, that is a good price on the round barrel version that has been discontinued and been replaced with the octagon barrel at $400+. Regards