A Remington Pump

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Pump

Post by Yleefox » Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Nice looking rifle BAOM. Glad it shoots decent too. I don't have a pump .22, but used one a long time ago and loved it. Might just have to break down and get one, now that I read this thread.
Y

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Pump

Post by bearandoldman » Thu May 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Yleefox wrote:Nice looking rifle BAOM. Glad it shoots decent too. I don't have a pump .22, but used one a long time ago and loved it. Might just have to break down and get one, now that I read this thread.
Y
Yes, she is a pretty sweet looking gun, show very little wear marks on the operting mechanism, doubt if it was ever shoot much. Most of the wear marks on the slide are probably from my use since we brought her home. Shot her very well with the irons once we got that fiber optic front set up to the proper height., not bad for old body and eyes. Been having a problem getting good groups with the scope on it, it all boils down to me not getting the rings clamped to the base tightly. This is the only scope I have with rimfire rings, all of mine have Weavers, where the cross bolt keeps the scope in position. Had this scope walk right off the dovetail while shooting it. Stopped at the gun shop and asked for an opinion on and hew checked the screws and took them up a half turn or better, now I know how tight they have to be. Well another range trip and we should be good to go.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Re: Pump

Post by greener » Sat May 30, 2009 6:41 am

Yleefox wrote:Nice looking rifle BAOM. Glad it shoots decent too. I don't have a pump .22, but used one a long time ago and loved it. Might just have to break down and get one, now that I read this thread.
Y
Be careful around these guys, they can lead you astray. I know, they have me thinking there is something missing because I don't have a Henry and now they are pushing pumps. :lol:

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 30, 2009 7:29 am

Welcome Yleefox! Pay no attention to greener, he is out looking for a pump as we speak. All bearandoldman and I are guilty of is reminding a few of our compardres just how much fun that quick slick pump action can be. It will remind you of your first county fair, and blasting those ducks with a gallery gun 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 30, 2009 8:34 am

KAZ wrote:Welcome Yleefox! Pay no attention to greener, he is out looking for a pump as we speak. All bearandoldman and I are guilty of is reminding a few of our compardres just how much fun that quick slick pump action can be. It will remind you of your first county fair, and blasting those ducks with a gallery gun 8)
Double the welcomes from us also.
Someone has to pick on the Greener just to keep him on the ball, he is still a young guy you know, of course so is KAZ.

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 30, 2009 7:36 pm

KAZ wrote:Welcome Yleefox! Pay no attention to greener, he is out looking for a pump as we speak. All bearandoldman and I are guilty of is reminding a few of our compardres just how much fun that quick slick pump action can be. It will remind you of your first county fair, and blasting those ducks with a gallery gun 8)
How did you know? Found one, but didn't buy it. Got a little distracted.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 30, 2009 7:41 pm

greener wrote:
How did you know? Found one, but didn't buy it. Got a little distracted.
You'l be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 30, 2009 9:57 pm

A little destracted huh greener :P That little HENRY lever will satisfy quite well as it also has that great 15 round flawless mag. What a great way to rid ones self of hoarded ammo at a rapid rate 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:59 am

KAZ wrote:A little destracted huh greener :P That little HENRY lever will satisfy quite well as it also has that great 15 round flawless mag. What a great way to rid ones self of hoarded ammo at a rapid rate 8)
It even works pretty good for doing "Lucas McCain"portrayals wirh Fed bulk ammo. And I even hit the target a few time, need some more practice on the point and shoot program.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:54 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
KAZ wrote:A little destracted huh greener :P That little HENRY lever will satisfy quite well as it also has that great 15 round flawless mag. What a great way to rid ones self of hoarded ammo at a rapid rate 8)
It even works pretty good for doing "Lucas McCain"portrayals wirh Fed bulk ammo. And I even hit the target a few time, need some more practice on the point and shoot program.
Gotten to the John Wayne flip yet?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:59 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
KAZ wrote:A little distracted huh greener :P That little HENRY lever will satisfy quite well as it also has that great 15 round flawless mag. What a great way to rid ones self of hoarded ammo at a rapid rate 8)
Gotten to the John Wayne flip yet?
No, I always liked the old Rifleman series,Lucas/Chuck Conners could do it with either hand as he was ambidextrous. He did it better than John Wayne.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Well, it looks like Remona is going to be a real sweet shooter. Had to learn the little things required to shooting a pump accurately as I have never really shot one much until now. We also had our little problems to be solved, she shot well with the firesight irons we set her upo with but poorly with the scope. First we have the scope sliding off the rail due to the recoil and the shooter thought it was tight enough but it was not. We got home and decided after remounting the scope to check it with the boresighter and found the barrel was not tight, the dowels screw was loose by about 3/4 of a turn. Now we have all the problems taken care of so we got some range time this afternoon and proved she shoots like a real lady. Now to try a few different brands of ammo and see what works the best.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:33 pm

I had confidence that you and BEAR would get things sorted out! You mentioned that the barrel was not tight,something to do with the dowels screw. I have to wonder if that was the reason why the one I considered buying at my range did so poorly.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:51 pm

KAZ wrote:I had confidence that you and BEAR would get things sorted out! You mentioned that the barrel was not tight,something to do with the dowels screw. I have to wonder if that was the reason why the one I considered buying at my range did so poorly.
It is a small screw on the left forward of the receiver that put some pressure on the barrel shank to keep it tight, I understand but am not sure the early ones did not have it. It will have no real effect when using the iron sights as they are both on the barrel, but will haver an effect on any receiver mounted sight.
Also found out that the best way to shoot it is to rest on the forearm as the drag on the forend is always relatively the same. Reseting on the mag tube it shot better by holding some forward pressure on the forearm as you would when using it normally. Tried shooting off the mag tube rested but could see some variation as my forward pressure on the forearm varied. Now to get out and try some different ammo and see what works the best.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:22 pm

I watched the "Rifleman" on TV a day or two ago. Really brought back old memories. Lord, I can't remember whether I was in college or just out when the last of those were on TV. Must have been while I was still in because the ranger station I was at didn't have store bought electricity. We manufactured it on site. Watched TV on week ends if we weren't in a bar chasing women. LOL as they say. Gosh, after turning 68 yesterday, that is really kind of disheartening to think it was that long ago. Carry ON! as they saying goes. You are only as old as you think you are. I know I have been trimming bushes (with a birthday hedgetrimmer) and mowing the grass. Right now I feel like 90. Sore all over. Went fishing yesterday and that was great! Even caught some fish.
Where was I? Oh, yeah, the Henry is fun to platy Rifleman with. Carry on BAOM. I am right behing you. TB.
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle