HENRY Peep Sight

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

HENRY Peep Sight

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:33 am

bearandoldman and I have been experimenting with using the Williams WGRS-54 Peep sight on our H001. It comes with a tight dovetail, and required a small amount of fitting with a 3 cornered file. I had installed an extra green fiber front sight that measured .335" and worked great with the stock V sight. With the Williams I had to hold on the bottom of a 14" target to get on the top of the target at 25 yds. So, we need to come up with a higher front. Things will get better when bearandoldman actually gets his sight as he has a more engineering mind than I posses. I have glued (gorilla) a piece of FO on the top of a metal sight. It is rock solid,and .450 high, but I haven't been to the range to get data.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:23 am

My sight should be here this week and the weather will be warm enough so that we can get some range time in and be able to think about something other than getting back in the car where it will be warm. I still have my Ruger HiViz on Henry but I also put a set of HiViz on my 4digit 10/22, may slide the peep on there and give it a try also. Will keep things posted. Most likely will end up with a Williams shorty ramp which will screw to the barrel and has a dovetail and find some fiber optic sight to get a little taller than required because the peep can always be raised if the gun shoots low.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 pm

I'm interested in the ramp that will mount in the front screw hole and provive a dovetail. I'm going to go online Midway under Williams and see if I can fine it. I hate the clunky looks of the one I glued together even if it works. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:28 pm

KAZ wrote:I'm interested in the ramp that will mount in the front screw hole and provive a dovetail. I'm going to go online Midway under Williams and see if I can fine it. I hate the clunky looks of the one I glued together even if it works. Regards
I would complain to the fabricator if I were you,ooooops sorry, you were the fabricator. No one to complain to then.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:51 pm

You are SO correct Ole Great One! The older I get the less I indulge in self criticism. You must understand that while this peep sight has me going, I'm not without skills. Rumor has it that I've been selected to be a judge in the World Pole Dancing Finals. All that I have to do on my end is get written permission from my better half 8) I looked on the Midway site at product # 126727 & 146357 which are ramps with 3/8" dovetails. Then we have to select the right sight height to slide in. Your idea of these ramps seems like a cleaner way to get it done.Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:35 pm

KAZ wrote:You are SO correct Ole Great One! The older I get the less I indulge in self criticism. You must understand that while this peep sight has me going, I'm not without skills. Rumor has it that I've been selected to be a judge in the World Pole Dancing Finals. All that I have to do on my end is get written permission from my better half 8) I looked on the Midway site at product # 126727 & 146357 which are ramps with 3/8" dovetails. Then we have to select the right sight height to slide in. Your idea of these ramps seems like a cleaner way to get it done.Regards
They make them in 4 different heights, 1/8 - 9/32 - 3/16 - and 3/8. Probably use one of the shorter ones plus a fiber optic bead and you are all set. Just did a short range session with the old bolt gun and it really shoots pretty good for an old forgotten firearm. Trying to get the irons on the 10/22 sighted in also, had the rear all the way up and was shooting about 5 inches high at 25 yard, now have to lower the rear sight a ways.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:16 pm

KAZ,

If you give me the measurements of the distance from the peep sight to the front blade in inches. The distance you wish the impacts to move on your 25 yard target, I can tell you how much taller your front sight blade needs to go.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:16 pm

This is the FO that I glued on to the groove I filed into the top of an old sight. It comes out right at .500. It will do to see what we need.
Bullseye, it is 21" from the peep to the front sight.
Last edited by KAZ on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 pm

According to your original height of the front sight at .340, and you needed about .147 to correct you should be very close
Bulleye, sight radius on teh H001 is about 20.500 and the H001T would be 22.250.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 pm

I need the amount of change you want in your impacts at the twenty five yard distance to complete the computations.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Bullseye wrote:I need the amount of change you want in your impacts at the twenty five yard distance to complete the computations.

R,
Bullseye
I believe KAZ was 14 inches high at 50 yards with the H001 and therefore he need a correction of .159 and the original height was ..340, he is therefore within a thou. Got to go back and check my e mails to make sure all this is correct.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:52 pm

I get some different numbers that you BOM. His current front and rear sight heights are static and therefore not considered in the totals of correction. His front sight is a fixed height and the rear sight is adjusted all the way down. By calculating the sight radius, amount of correction and the distance I get .342" of new height needed to be added the existing fixed front sight to reduce the impacts to point of aim at 25 yards. That means adding .342" and .355" make for a pretty tall front sight at .697".

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Bullseye wrote:I get some different numbers that you BOM. His current front and rear sight heights are static and therefore not considered in the totals of correction. His front sight is a fixed height and the rear sight is adjusted all the way down. By calculating the sight radius, amount of correction and the distance I get .342" of new height needed to be added the existing fixed front sight to reduce the impacts to point of aim at 25 yards. That means adding .342" and .355" make for a pretty tall front sight at .697".

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye, we got to get the figures from KAZ again, he and I have been back and forth on e mail over the past few days and my notes may be just a little foggy at this time. M y original notes say he was 14 inches high at 50 yard, if that was 25, yes it is a major correction
Originally my figures were the H001T was 6 inches low at 25 yards, so the rear could be raised to correct, the H001 was 14 inches high at 50 yards, since the rear could not be lowered the front has to be raised. I should have a rear peep in tomorrow or the first of the week and will post some figures as soon as I have them. depending on weather for range time.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Sorry for the confusion, it has to do with when I couldn't get the green sight on the H001 to work I tried the Peep on my H001T which is a different cat. That's why when I started this thread I stuck with the H001. I'll get to the range tomorrow with the cobbled up red front sight and shoot at 25 yds bagged up for effect. Thanks for everyones help. I was trying to get some results so that bearandoldman had things on order for when his peep sight comes in. I was able to shoot a nice quick group(only high) so the peep will be nice when we get things resolved. I'm liking the idea of the ramp with 3/8" dovetail, and then add whatever the right sight required. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:36 pm

KAZ wrote:Sorry for the confusion, it has to do with when I couldn't get the green sight on the H001 to work I tried the Peep on my H001T which is a different cat. That's why when I started this thread I stuck with the H001. I'll get to the range tomorrow with the cobbled up red front sight and shoot at 25 yds bagged up for effect. Thanks for everyones help. I was trying to get some results so that bearandoldman had things on order for when his peep sight comes in. I was able to shoot a nice quick group(only high) so the peep will be nice when we get things resolved. I'm liking the idea of the ramp with 3/8" dovetail, and then add whatever the right sight required. Regards
Good, my sight may be in tomorrow also and I will go right from the gun shop to the range for trials. I am really liking the idea of a ramp and a dovetailed sight, if it will just come out a little to high to make the gun shoot just a little low, the rear sight can be adjusted.
I was beginning to get a little confused and not sure if I am on foot or horseback ot maybe I took the streetcar. And yes I do remember the streetcars in Deeetroit when I was a boy, cool to watch them running on tracks with a single overhead trolley wire and see the big sparks at night when the hit the splice or junctions.