HENRY Peep Sight

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed May 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Well I knew that it wouldn't take you and BEAR long to get it worked out 8) I'll be looking forward to some targets! Regards

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed May 06, 2009 4:52 pm

KAZ wrote:Well I knew that it wouldn't take you and BEAR long to get it worked out 8) I'll be looking forward to some targets! Regards
Shot a couple today but just to see where we were, will get it sighted and then shoot some good ones if the weather permits. Lyly drilled out the hole and tapped it for #6-48 because he does not have any #5-44's. Probably the only place they are used is guns made in NewYawk or Joisey.. Was close enough at 25 to 30 feet to shoot up Petey and Paul though.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu May 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Well, I have my ramp and higher blade, and will have to find some way to get the 5-44 threaded hole turned into 6-48. Wish me luck!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu May 07, 2009 8:33 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, I have my ramp and higher blade, and will have to find some way to get the 5-44 threaded hole turned into 6-48. Wish me luck!
God luck,, time tor see your friendly local gunsmith.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 07, 2009 9:32 pm

Your local gunsmith will have a 6-48 tap. I've got eight or ten of them left in the drawer. They break easily so its best to have plenty of spares on hand.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri May 08, 2009 10:06 am

Alas, we don't have a local gunsmith. If, I get a 6-48 tap would it be possible to open up the existing 5-44?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 08, 2009 11:13 am

KAZ wrote:Alas, we don't have a local gunsmith. If, I get a 6-48 tap would it be possible to open up the existing 5-44?
You will have to drill the hole out slightly to the proper tap drill size. The tap will not be a standard hardware item. Good luck.

coop02

Post by coop02 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Kaz,

When I opened my hole up for the 6-48 tap, we ran the proper size drill into the hole, but I could not really see that it took anything off the old threads. When I started the 6-48 tap, the first turns I could see the blue being scraped off the diameter of the tap and then it threaded down in to the hole. But I did break the tap the first try, had to chip the pieces out and regrind the tap. You must be VERY careful tapping the hole. Turn the tap about 1/10 of a turn, back up, continue on very slowly and carefully. You do not know when you have hit the bottom of the hole or if you are just turning hard on the tap.

Coop

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 08, 2009 1:32 pm

coop02 wrote:Kaz,

When I opened my hole up for the 6-48 tap, we ran the proper size drill into the hole, but I could not really see that it took anything off the old threads. When I started the 6-48 tap, the first turns I could see the blue being scraped off the diameter of the tap and then it threaded down in to the hole. But I did break the tap the first try, had to chip the pieces out and regrind the tap. You must be VERY careful tapping the hole. Turn the tap about 1/10 of a turn, back up, continue on very slowly and carefully. You do not know when you have hit the bottom of the hole or if you are just turning hard on the tap.

Coop
I have worked as a service tech, machinist and engineer most of my life and have tapped a lot of holes large and small. The smaller thread sizes, especially #8 and smaller do require a delicate touch to tell just how the tap is working, so you do not break it off. The proper tap drill for a #6-48 thread is a #31 drill or .120, the outside diameter of a #5 thread is .128, so there is not really much metal to come out. You should try tapping #4-40 or #2-56, they are really delicate.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri May 08, 2009 1:51 pm

OK, I have the proper tap & drill on the way from our pals at midway. I will do my best to open up the hole and tap the 6-48. I wouldn't attempt this at all if it were not for the fact that the hole is already there and is really very shallow or if I had a gunsmith within 200 miles. I wish that I lived closer to bearandoldman, it would be a piece of cake for those two with me having the proper drill & tap and plenty of cookies. 8)

coop02

Post by coop02 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:09 pm

KAZ wrote:OK, I have the proper tap & drill on the way from our pals at midway. I will do my best to open up the hole and tap the 6-48. I wouldn't attempt this at all if it were not for the fact that the hole is already there and is really very shallow or if I had a gunsmith within 200 miles. I wish that I lived closer to bearandoldman, it would be a piece of cake for those two with me having the proper drill & tap and plenty of cookies. 8)
Good luck Kaz,

Some advance advice: WHEN (not if) you break the tap, unless you have a tap extractor, which you don't, you probably won't be able to get the piece out by unscrewing it. There is only about 3 threads in the hole maximum so not much tap is stuck. Take a very sharp pointy punch and you should be able to break the little pieces of tap out of the hole and start over. Of course, you have to regrind the tap in a bottoming fashion, flat on the bottom with a very small taper covering only about 1 thread. Take it very slow and easy. If you can get 3 threads, 3 turns of the tap from entry, that is about all there is room for. Quit before you jam the tap into the bottom and break it again. :cry:

Coop

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri May 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks Coop, I've had less apprehension about a colonoscopy :P I can already see me driving the 200 miles to a Smith and having it professionally done. I'll tell him that I bought it used and some unknown doofuss buggered it up so I bought it cheap :oops: [/list]

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 08, 2009 5:39 pm

KAZ wrote:Thanks Coop, I've had less apprehension about a colonoscopy :P I can already see me driving the 200 miles to a Smith and having it professionally done. I'll tell him that I bought it used and some unknown doofuss tttbuggered it up so I bought it cheap :oops: [/list]
That sounds like a believable story. That is why I let my local gunship do a lot of work foe me. I have dealt with them on and off since they have been in business and they always take care of me. rear sight, ramp and front sight all parts fitted and installed for $65.00, it really pays to have friends. Just got back from ther range e and did a little sighting in, not too bad for my poor eyesight but for some reason I had to move the rear aperture full Left to get it tiocenter the shoots. Who cares as long as it works, maybe I did just not look good today.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri May 08, 2009 6:27 pm

Be sure to use plenty of lube with your tap. I like Tap Magic when I'm cutting new threads, especially with the fine tpi taps.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri May 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks for the lube advice. I wouldn't have thought of it. I will use some kroil. I won't get my tap until next week so anyone with thoughts on this subject will be appreciated. bearandoldman, I'm disappointed to hear that you have to use up that much windage on the Williams peep. Could you not get some of it by drifting the front sight right? Before I had no windage problems, only the shooting to high. I will be irritated if at the end of the trail this peep doesn't come together without much more drama :(