HENRY Peep Sight

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:59 pm

OK I finally got to the range, and with my new cobbled up front sight which is .450 total high it shot 8" high at 25 yards. This is with the peep set as low as it will go. I'm going to hold off forgetting about the peep until bearandoldman gets his chance to make it work. Regards
Last edited by KAZ on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

KAZ wrote:OK I finally got to the range, and with my new cobbled up front sight which is .500 total high it shot 8" high at 25 yards. This is with the peep set as low as it will go. I'm going to hold off forgetting about the peep until bearandoldman gets his chance to make it work. Regards
Accorfing to that you need another .188 for a total of .680, I think Coop on RFC is on the right track as he has a 3/8 ramp and a .375 sight on order for a total of .750 which would allow the rear sight to be raised some.
Hopemine gts here soo,most ikely wiil tape sight on with a shim to see where to go, maybe it wwill get here tomorrow.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:25 pm

I just measured again from the top of the barrel to the top of the sight and that is .450. You know that is different from measuring from the side of the sight that I'm using. I just saw you post on RFC and joined in with you there as well. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:09 pm

KAZ wrote:I just measured again from the top of the barrel to the top of the sight and that is .450. You know that is different from measuring from the side of the sight that I'm using. I just saw you post on RFC and joined in with you there as well. Regards

According to that , you need .188 added to the height you have noe of .450, = .638 minimum, I think coop has got the right parts on order and the screw is a 5-44. E mailed Anthony and he will have engineering get back to me but 5-44 is a gun screw and tap listed on Brownells.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:17 pm

coop, has got the real sights coming and he should be dead on. Just did some research on the Williams ramp the shorty 3/8 ramp is .375 from barrel to top of ramp and .285 from barrel to bottom of dovetail, the sight is .375 from bottom of dovetail to top of sight that = .660 and that will allow the rear sight to be raised just a little so there will be some adjustment in each direction.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:45 pm

So, the if the factory hole is 5-44 we should be able to order those from some where once we determine the length. Do we know for sure that the stock screw is to short?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:59 pm

KAZ wrote:So, the if the factory hole is 5-44 we should be able to order those from some where once we determine the length. Do we know for sure that the stock screw is to short?
May be hard to find, the more common sight screws are either 6-40 or 6-48 and any gunsmith should have them. Besides the sight is drilled and counterbored for a #6 screw just like the Ruger/ Buckmark HiViz and the screw is really loose in the hole. Due to the fact that the sight is heavier and has to have the sight tapped into the dovetail I would go with the larger screw for strength. I believe I even have both a 6+-40 and a6-48 tap. I believe the sight came with an extra screw for the Buckmark because the Ruger uses a #6-48 on the front sight and the Buckmark a #6-40. No real problem to drill out the hole and retap it yourself or any decent gunsmith can do it in a few minutes.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:34 pm

You guys are getting a lot closer to the .697" front sight height that I mentioned back on 4/23. I added a little to the front sight computation height to allow the peep sight to come up from the base of the rear sight.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Bullseye wrote:You guys are getting a lot closer to the .697" front sight height that I mentioned back on 4/23. I added a little to the front sight computation height to allow the peep sight to come up from the base of the rear sight.

R,
Bullseye
Guess you do know what you are talking about after all, figured that was going to be way too high, but that was with the first rough figures from KAZ. Now with some better information from KAZ and another source we have a lot better handle on the program. Iron sights at 25 yards are tough on this old man, but now, 10 yards and he is tough to deal with. So this is his new fun plinking range, shoot n c targets and Petey the plastic :D prairie dog and a lot of ammo gets burned up, and fun too. :D eeeeeha

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:54 pm

I believe that you nailed it. If we want to have some adjustment to play with it looks like .700-.750 which might be effective, but seem out of place. All because it appealed to me to use the peep that utilized the dovetail. I may have to rethink the idea. I'll wait to see a picture of coops on RFC before I spend another $35.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:11 pm

KAZ wrote:I believe that you nailed it. If we want to have some adjustment to play with it looks like .700-.750 which might be effective, but seem out of place. All because it appealed to me to use the peep that utilized the dovetail. I may have to rethink the idea. I'll wait to see a picture of coops on RFC before I spend another $35.
He is using the same rear peep sight, the WGRS-54 like you have and I have on order. the ramp is called 3/8 shorty ramp and measures .375 from the barrel to the top, but .285 from the barrel to the bottom of the dovetail. So you take the ramp at .285 add the sight which is .375 from bottom of dovetail o the to and Voilà, you have .660 just a little more than need so he rear sight can be adjusted up a little and have some leeway.

coop02

Post by coop02 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi guys, I found your thread.

Just got back from the range with the Henry H001Y and the Williams peep sight and new front sights. Excellent. I had to move the rear sight up one half of a big step (2 1/2 small marks) and it was right on at 25 yards, at least with 78 year old eyes. This is the WGRS-54 peep with 3/8" ramp and 3/8" gold bead sight.

Squares are 1 inch. I'm very happy with it. Just covered the bull with the gold bead and fired.

I also shot my Henry Octagon barrel pump with factory open sights and it did just about the same. I had previously moved the front sight about 1/32 left.

Coop

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Hey Coop! WELCOME, nice target. That's what we are looking for. Bullseye told us what we needed. I kept trying to make one of my junk drawer front sights work, and kept coming up short. Now thanks to your work I've ordered the same part numbers. I'm hoping to use the existing factory hole as I would like to keep it stock. Regards

coop02

Post by coop02 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Kaz,

You should be able to use the stock hole, 5-40, if you can find a screw, the size difference isn't that much from the 6-48. My source had the tap, but not 5-40 screws so I went that way. It is going to be permanent anyway.

Coop

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed May 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Well, got a call from the gun shop this morning while waiting for Ma's Doc appointment. So we had some breakfast and just before noon picked up Henry and he was all set to go,. WGRS-54 fitted and installed with a Williams .3/8 Shorty rap and a Marbles ..375 fiber optic green front sight installed and out the dor for $65.00 total. Sure pays to do business with your local old time gun shop. Went out to the range and tried it out, needs a little fine tuning yet but other than that it sure looks good. Just a little right and a little high, just need a little more time to get it sighted in for good.
:D :D :D Looks like we got a winner and good friends to do business with.