Leaf Spring Rear Sight Adjustment

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Leaf Spring Rear Sight Adjustment

Post by greener » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:59 pm

I took my Winchester Model 69 to the range today. I haven't fired it in quite a while and it wanted to shoot about 3" right at 25 yards. The rifle has the old style leaf spring rear sight, elevation adjustable by moving a notched blade. How do you adjust this type of sight for windage?

I haven't fired this rifle in some time and do not recall it shooting right. It was pretty much dead on. I've had this rifle for over 50 years. It was used when I got it.

PS. This rifle has a better trigger than either the 10/22 I just bought or the 1976 Mod 60 I've had for about 30 years. Great shooter or I've been acclimated to it for a very long time. It would be nice to get it back on target.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Dove Tail

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:41 pm

It is probably a dove tail site. It would be necessary to drift the sight slightly to the right until it is back at POA. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Not a dove tail. I think I will try to bend it.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:09 am

I can't really tell from the vertical view, but the front of the sight towards the end of the barrel, is where the dove tail would be. It is that part that would be drifted, moving the entire sight. Otherwise, there would be a screw holding the sight to the barrel, which I didn't see. Look again. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 am

The dovetail should be right under the cross of the sight.

Drifting it left approximately .072" should solve the problem.

R,
Bullseye

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:18 am

Thank you, Bullseye. I knew you would be there for the low down before long. Your resources are fantastic! TB 8)
Tigerbeetle

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 pm

Thanks. I give it a whirl