Just trying to catch up

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:41 am

Easter Sunday morning (A Happy and Blessed Easter to all!) and it's 32 degrees and blowing a gale. I believe I'll pass on the range trip... :(

Speaking of dogs and snacks, Grump, like all dogs, is convinced that if Dad eats it, it must be good for dogs.

I keep a small flock of sheep. I have one big fence surrounding most of my 4 acres, and the sheep and the dog have the run of the place. What cracks me up is that Grump thinks the sheep are just really funny looking dogs. I watch her watching them graze. I can almost see her thought process: "Those other dogs are eating this grass. I can't see it myself, but if they can eat it, so can I!"
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:50 am

May I add my Happy Easter greetings also.
Sunny and calm here this Easter morning and a crisp and frosty 26F earlier, looks like it will be a nice day and if we get 50F this afternoon we may hit the range. Tried the range yesterday but forgot it was going to be closed for a muzzle loader fun shoot, but did get to see they had a good turn out.
Like you say, you are only as old as you feel and some days, I feel like I rode with Teddy an the Rough Riders or maybe they rode over me.
Best has advised me tha tone of the rules of being a dog is, if it's people food it must be good. Ha Grump tried grazing wit her wwoolie friends yet?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:52 am

Oh yeah. She'll pull up a few mouthfuls once in a while.

With predictable and unfortunate results... :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:54 am

Downeaster wrote:Oh yeah. She'll pull up a few mouthfuls once in a while.

With predictable and unfortunate results... :lol:
Know what you are talking about, grass goes in and grass comes out shortly from the same place it went in.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:05 am

Happy Easter to all!

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Managed to get the 10/22 out to the range this afternoon. Took me a while to get the scope zeroed at 25 yards because I was making small changes. At 50 yards shooting Fed Val Pack it did very well. I put up some of my Shoot'n'See backers, one 1" dot in the center then shot the center and the corners. From an improvised rest it was doing pretty good, all 10 rounds in, or on the edge of the dot.

The only downside was that I'm not accustomed to the grip and it was a bit uncomfortable after a while.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Happy Easter to all.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:13 pm

greener wrote:Happy Easter to all.
Now you got to find a good smith and have him take the trigger down to 2-1/2 pounds like my smith does.

greener

Speaking of Catching Up

Post by greener » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Chatting with another shooter this afternoon. When he noticed I had the Glenfield Mod 60 with me, he said that he didn't think I liked Marlins since I didn't buy the 39A at the last gun show he bought. Seems I wandered through the show and didn't notice it.

He also had a Mossberg model 44 and was carrying a piece of a target in his wallet. Spread was about a dime at 50 yards. $175 through CMP

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What have we started?

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:26 pm

If I were living back in Missouri where we had lots of groundhogs running around, I would have to have me a Henry .22 Mag. No doubt about it. In college we busted them with .270s and .243s and what not, but I reckon now people would complain about the seismic shock waves. A scoped .22 Mag would be just what the doctor ordered. I took out a respectable number with my .22 LRs, but I confess I did have one or two make it to a hole and I can't confirm a clean kill. A hit with the .270 left no doubt.

Anyway, Downeaster, roll that Henry Mag out and just maybe run a half a box through it once a month or so. That won't break the bank and if that pesky fox shows up, you will be ready for him. In the meantime, get a Henry H001 and join the fray. After all, Kaz, BAOM, Mrs. Kaz and I can't be all wrong. :lol: TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: What have we started?

Post by Downeaster » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:08 pm

Tigerbeetle wrote:Anyway, Downeaster, roll that Henry Mag out and just maybe run a half a box through it once a month or so. That won't break the bank and if that pesky fox shows up, you will be ready for him. In the meantime, get a Henry H001 and join the fray. After all, Kaz, BAOM, Mrs. Kaz and I can't be all wrong. :lol: TB
Weather is FINALLY warming up enough that that's an option.

Now if I can just get work to cooperate... :x

bearandoldman

Re: What have we started?

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Downeaster wrote:
Tigerbeetle wrote:Anyway, Downeaster, roll that Henry Mag out and just maybe run a half a box through it once a month or so. That won't break the bank and if that pesky fox shows up, you will be ready for him. In the meantime, get a Henry H001 and join the fray. After all, Kaz, BAOM, Mrs. Kaz and I can't be all wrong. :lol: TB
Weather is FINALLY warming up enough that that's an option.

Now if I can just get work to cooperate... :x
Not too really cold today in the low 50's but a brisk NE wind made it uncomfortable so Bear and I stayed home, work we don't worry about as neither of us does that. :D :)

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

The weather - Rain

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri May 08, 2009 2:35 pm

It is sunshine, rain every other day and warm in GA. I have been up to no good since the last time I was on here giving Downeaster a hard time. I put a Simmons 2X scope on my Medalist using a BME mount. Shot admirably the first time out... can't wait to get it in action again. I have a Medalist LH grip coming for it, lucky to get that. I should have it by the next time I get to the range. Maybe tomorrow if it gets here today. I also got a RH target grip for my Ruger standard that I haven't even got out of the house to try out. AND, I got an Intensity Optics 6,5-24X44 mm scope for my M44b. Waiting on a Havlin's 22m side mount now to mount it up. I am really anxious to see what I can get that old gun to do with a little variety of ammunition.

I had Henry II at the range with the Medalist, and it got extremely jealous cause I shot the Medalist first. It would not pattern the Federal auto match at all! To the point where I even checked the mount to make sure the screws were tight. I will have to give it some TLC and take it down to my daughter's place and give it some undivided attention. Henry II likes to be shot by my daughter. So, fill me in, have you got all the peeps and stuff on the Henry's by now. Surely the weather has warmed up enough that y'all can follow the critters out the door. 8) TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle