A Warning About HENRY

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:00 am

Yes, I grew up in a little township in Northeast Ohio. Back then, it only had one traffic light in 36 square miles of territory. It's much bigger now, like most places.

I used to fish all the local ponds in my neighborhood for my Bluegills and Bass. Some days, as soon as I put the hook in the water I had a fish on the line. Back then, we didn't eat meat on Fridays and that meant fish of some kind for dinner at my house. My father loved lake Perch and that meant at least once or twice a month we were going out for a fish fry. He's still a big fish fan and whenever he comes to visit, we're going out for fish or pasta. I'm not as much of a fish fan these days but my family is, they usually have Talapia whenever Dad's away for dinner.

My father still goes up to Superior and to Northern Michigan once a year for Walleye. He and some of his friends make a week of it and come back with a nice supply of fish for the freezer.

For a while there Erie wasn't a great place to get fish. You could tell the temp of the water by the length of the lines on the fish (mercury). The lake has really rebounded ecologically over the last thirty years. The last time I was in Port Clinton, I had a nice big plate of pan fried Lake Perch. I'm planning a trip back to the homestead this summer, so I'll have to revisit some of my old haunts for some good eats.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Sounds as if you and I were raised pretty much the same, you DID NOT eat meat on a Fridays especially during Lent or you were going straight to Hell with no rest stops. Used to do a lot of Spring perch fishing on the rivers going into Saginaw Bay in the spring during the spawning runs. Was born, raised and still live in Saginaw and can remember when the Saginaw river would never freeze over even if you had two weeks of sub zero weather. Now due to all of the decreases in pollution going into the river a few really cold days puts good ice on it and it and the Saginaw Bay have become one of the best walleye fisheries in the US. In mid February they have the Shiver on the River walleye fishing contest for a week, this year to make the top 10, your fish had to weigh over 10 pounds. I believe the winner was about 13-1/2 pounds this year,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Fiber Optic Front

Post by KAZ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:51 am

Encouraged by bearandoldman and my eyes I added the green FO from a Buck Mark. It is quick/accurate,and would please any but the purist among us :)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 am

Same sight as mine, the HiViz for Ruger and Buckmark are the same. Did you take it off one of your pistols or did you have to go out and purchase one? You did a little different approach on the old front sight/ mag tube hanger than I did. Looks like you probably just cut a slot in it. Does not have to be really strong as all it does is support the front of the mag tube. Just used the old Henry front screw to fasten it as it is a slightly smaller screw than the Ruger or Buckmark use. I just slid mine back after cutting off the ramp and sight blade and tapped the old screw hole for an #8 or #10- 32 setscrew to hold it in place but mostly just to fill the hole. Well we got just about 50F and sunny and the wind is not bad so maybe we will take HenryI out to play for a while. Did you have to move the rear sigh up to it's max height also. Mine shoots pretty much dead on at 25 to 30 feet and also at 25 yards, but 25 yards is pushing the old mans eyes and holding ability to the max. I shoot POA=POI and it makes a good short range fun plinker gun even though it does not look Classic.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.