ANSCHUTZ MPR

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

ANSCHUTZ MPR

Post by KAZ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:21 am

I picked up a slightly used MPR which turned out to be as new in the box. I stuck a Weaver 6X20X40 GS on it and have been to the range one time. It has a sweet trigger,excellent stock and removes all excuses. It also loves RWS Rifle Target which doesn't cause to much pain at check out. With same day results that show promise at 50 and 100 yds I'm tempted to try to move out even further to see if things hold up. Regards

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Sounds like another Annie lover. There's something about these little rifles that make them great to shoot, with quality match ammo, they shoot even better.

R,
Bullseye

pawn

Post by pawn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:23 pm

beautiful rifle KAZ, thanks for sharing the pic :D

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks pawn and Bullseye, all I have to do is hang on! They are fantastic rifles,and this one loves RWS Rifle Target. Regards

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Nice target for 50 yards in the wind.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Bullseye wrote:Nice target for 50 yards in the wind.

R,
Bullseye
Muy bueno, nice looking target and the holes are all in the right place too.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:59 pm

Well, as I'm learning,and I believe that you both know the wind is a tough master. I've built a few wind flags and is amazing to watch them do a 180 :o in a matter of seconds. Regards

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:10 pm

The wind is even tougher on a 40 grain bullet, especially when it reverses direction.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Bullseye wrote:The wind is even tougher on a 40 grain bullet, especially when it reverses direction.

R,
Bullseye
Which one? the bulllet or the wind, either the former could be a real problem. Only saw a bullet reverse one time and it injured the guy next to the shooter slightly.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:53 pm

No thanks! A two way firing range is bad juju 8) I decided that my old eyes needed/deserved more POWER so I sold off some lesser mag optics(2.5X8 and 3X9) and bought a Weaver T-36 to put on this rifle. Now, I can see a flea 100yds,but it has brought to the forefront(times 36X) every shooting problem known to exist. I thought that I understood breath control,cant,mirage,wind,hold,squeeze,etc. My groups have actually opened up unless I focus on every aspect of the shot. No more carefree approach until I settle down with this beast. Well it does keep me from becoming complacent. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:01 pm

And now the rest of the story, this took place a lot of years back.
We were shooting bowling pins indoors at the usual range of 20 or 25 feet, we were having a lot of fun and then the rest of the afternoon was wasted at the Hospital and talking to guys in blue suits with a lot of brass and shiny black shoes. One of the guys was using some sub sonic ammo and he said it was because it was safer. He took his turn at the pins and the guy standing to his left said I think something just hit my forehead. I took a look and just above his brow was the rounded nose of bullet sticking out of the fatty tissue jut above the eyebrow, just a little blood but a great big pain to deal with at the Hospital. We waited for a long time as they had more serious things to take of in ER that day, nurses saw that we had coffee etc. One asked how my buddy was with waiting, told her just a bullet in the head is all, can't hurt my friend Pete hitting him there. Just a head wound is not a real problem. Don't really know if the bullet tumbled on the way back or jus bounced straight back But it hit Pete base first and lodged just that way. Bowling pins are hard maple wih a heavy polymer coating and this thing just came back and stuck him.
AS far as big scopes, yes I use them and they certainly let you see alto of things to mess with your mind.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:26 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Only saw a bullet reverse one time and it injured the guy next to the shooter slightly.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:39 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Only saw a bullet reverse one time and it injured the guy next to the shooter slightly.
Looks to be a fairly dangerous weapon there Tex. That one would get you below the eye though.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:40 pm

GEESE! So having that hard head paid off 8) Some of our local good Ole boys had some incoming fire when a steel auto rim they were blasting away at shot back. I confess that I do like to shoot steel,but we make certain that it is down range and hanging.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:50 pm

KAZ wrote:GEESE! So having that hard head paid off 8) Some of our local good Ole boys had some incoming fire when a steel auto rim they were blasting away at shot back. I confess that I do like to shoot steel,but we make certain that it is down range and hanging.
Especially if it is fixed at the top so it can swing back as that way any deflection hits the dirt quickly. The galling plate things that pivot at the bottom could lead to an errant projectile off the range.