Winchester Model 61

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

frank

Winchester Model 61

Post by frank » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 pm

My Dad gave me his to use in our local club. Can anyone tell me how to break down this model for a thourough cleaning?

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 pm

welcome to the forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRGX-TP6Wng

is the '61' close to the Taurus-62 ??
if so, they have a manual...

http://www.taurususa.com/products/produ ... model=M62R

congrats on the Classic-rifle
I hope it performs well for you.
-- toy

blueridgeranger

Post by blueridgeranger » Mon May 04, 2009 10:56 pm

hello frank and toyfj40
hi guys
I have a model 61 Winchester that I bought in 1951...I also have a Taurus Model 62, which is the clone of the Winchester model 62...
the Model 61 is a Hammerless...that is the receiver is smooth, and the hammer is actually enclosed within the receiver.
the Model 62 is an exposed hammer (one of the carnival shooting range type guns) with a half - cock position on the original (Winchester) arm. they are no where near being the same gun.
Having said that, if you contact Winchester and / or Taurus for an owners manual both companies will send one out to you. I did that for my Model 61, as over the years, I lost my original (Boo on me), however, there is no real mystery (easy for me to say) about the take down, undo the thumb-screw, and the arm will come apart. Note: be sure to make sure that the gun is unloaded, these guns, both of them, can be fired by holding the trigger back and working the slide. It sure looks impressive, into a good back - stop, however no accuracy at all. This is not something new that I discovered, it was "common knowledge" when I was a heck of a lot younger.
The Model 61 is still my favorite .22LR slide action, and with a bit of coaxing will really make a person look good. The big thing here is getting the exact same sight pattern when pulling the trigger. Mine still shoots to point of aim after a couple of decades worth of years. Easy to carry too, as long as you don't put a scope on the thing.
The Model 62 Taurus I have has been scoped, using the Taurus adaptor, which put a long eye relief scope in the mount of the normal rear open sight. It is trick, and does minute of can (MOC) out to 85 yards without a lot of effort. Lots of fun.
anyway, just my two cents worth
all the best to all
blueridgeranger