Modify Holster

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bd1

Modify Holster

Post by bd1 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 am

Could someone provide advice on how to modify a Uncle Mike's holster to fit a Mark III equipped with a Millett SP-1 Red Dot sight? Thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:55 am

First welcome to Guntalk-Online!

Here are a few pictures that may help.

Both of these pictures show an Uncle Mikes holster that has been cut away to allow for a scope mounted Mark II/III pistol. The person who made this modification also hand stitched some black nylon web tape over the cut edge to prevent fraying and make the holster look good. Basically all they did was cut out a notch in the holster for the scope mount, sear the edges of the nylon material with some heat, and then stitch on the web tape to complete the job. Looks pretty good, I don't know why manufacturers like Uncle Mike's haven't caught on to making these as there has been many requests by Ruger owners for them, but you can make your own with a little time and effort.

Good luck.

R,
Bullseye

bd1

Post by bd1 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for the help, believe I can do mine as you suggested.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:47 pm

bd1 welcome!
"I" did this for my MKII/ Millet RD SP-1 via Bullseye's directions.
It helps to have some "internal, domestic" help! :)
If I can find the "how to" I'll post it!

SD

bd1

Post by bd1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:52 pm

That would be great Song Dawg...appreciate it.

Spy774

Ideas

Post by Spy774 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:00 pm

Here are some more ideas that I did to my holster just scroll to post #5 and read down. I did those mods after cutting the holster for the Ultra Dot. Cutting the holster is not that hard just use sharp scissors and a utility knife, then cut a little at a time until you get just the right fit. Make sure the scope is mounted were you want it because after you cut the holster you will not be able to move the scope forward. To finish off the edges just use some of the edging that you can get from walmart or a craft store, just make sure is is pretty durable so that it will not wear out from taking the gun in and out.

Bullseye your site ROCKS!!!! You have some of the most detailed info on the net. Hope you don't mind me posting another site on yours.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... ht=holster

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks. I don't have any problem with folks posting links to other gun forums here on Guntalk, I post replies on RFC too.

R,
Bullseye

Spy774

Post by Spy774 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:14 pm

I found the link to the original idea.

http://www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm/gu ... olster.htm

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:29 am

I personally cannot remember if Stilgar (that's the screen name of the gent who owns the wiztech website) came up with that holster idea on his own, or if I suggested it to him on the old Mark II.org website a number of years ago. He used to post on the forums several years back but I haven't seen anything from him in a long time on any of the Ruger related websites.

The same goes for Yzguy (he's the gent who owns the http://www.1bad69 website). We all used to post help messages to other shooters many years ago, but they've kind of dropped out of the message forums. I've been doing this for a lot of years, back when Mark III.org forum was just a baby, several name changes ago on the old Network54 forum boards.

R,
Bullseye