Which MKIII ?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Decado

Which MKIII ?

Post by Decado » Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 am

Which one has the removable grip panels? I am thinking the MKIII and NOT the 22/45 .

I want to buy the model with the removable grips so I can throw some houge's on there, I really did not like the feel of my old MKII 22/45, the plastic frame just feels like a toy to me.

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 am

You got it right, the 22/45 versions of either the MKII or the MKIII require a pretty major "modi" to make them useable with removable grip panels.

JJ
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Decado

Post by Decado » Wed May 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Thank you for responding.

kc5gxc

Post by kc5gxc » Wed May 14, 2008 8:28 pm

I got the MK III Hunter with 6 7/8" fluted barrel and hi vis sites. I ain't about to change any stocks......mine has coco bolo grips and they sure are fine.
Good Luck
Pete

greener

Post by greener » Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 pm

They look better with the coccobolo grips, but I like the Hogue grips better for shooting.

Decado

Post by Decado » Thu May 15, 2008 5:30 am

I picked up a brand new Stainless MKIII Target with the 5.5 bull barrel , the factory grips are not bad, but I am going to put some Houge's with the thumb rest on it.

I plan to shoot this thing OFTEN, with the cost of gas and ammo, I can barely afford to shoot 9mm, my AR 15 does not see much action either.

greener

Post by greener » Thu May 15, 2008 6:40 am

Economics are a strong incentive for shooting rimfire. As much as I enjoy shooting my centerfire handguns, I enjoy shooting rimfire handguns more. Your MKIII should give you a lot of shooting pleasure.

Decado

Post by Decado » Thu May 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Hey greener, I am in Va, where do you shoot at? Thanks for responding :)

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Thu May 15, 2008 3:51 pm

greener wrote:They look better with the coccobolo grips, but I like the Hogue grips better for shooting.
It's better to look good than feel good...... except of course when shooting! :D
I like the feel of the Hogues but I've got the VQ Volthane as well which are still in the package. One of these days.

SD

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 pm

yeah yeah keep bashing the 22/45...all it does is inspire me more and more to do a wicked grip mod on it... one day... :lol: :lol:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 16, 2008 9:36 am

melchloboo wrote:yeah yeah keep bashing the 22/45...all it does is inspire me more and more to do a wicked grip mod on it... one day... :lol: :lol:
Why, the grip works fine the way it is, I have 3 or 4 of the MarkII 22/45's and shoot them a lot becqause they point the same as my 1911's and shoot a lot less costly.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Fri May 16, 2008 9:48 am

amen. i also like the lighter weight of the 22/45 and to me the balance feels more natural than the standard ruger.

that said, the grip is not ergonomic, to put it mildly. i had to add the slip on because my middle finger would go numb from sessions.

it would be nice if ruger or somebody created a custom slip over that perfectly fit and had an open backstrap so it doesn't require removal. perfect opportunity for anybody looking to put a product out in their spare time, i'm sure they could sell a few hundred.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 16, 2008 10:32 am

melchloboo wrote:amen. i also like the lighter weight of the 22/45 and to me the balance feels more natural than the standard ruger.

that said, the grip is not ergonomic, to put it mildly. i had to add the slip on because my middle finger would go numb from sessions.

it would be nice if ruger or somebody created a custom slip over that perfectly fit and had an open backstrap so it doesn't require removal. perfect opportunity for anybody looking to put a product out in their spare time, i'm sure they could sell a few hundred.
I shoot mine a lot but as I said they are MarkII 22/45's and the grip slightly different. I have no problems with the grip as it is, yes it may not look like a wood grip but then, A gun is just a tool to get a job done, that is get the projectile started on its way to what you want to hit. My guns are just like me, they may not look that good but they and I both still work just fine.

Decado

Post by Decado » Fri May 16, 2008 11:49 am

Ordered the MKII hammer bushing so I can remove the mag junk, its very annoying to break the gun down, I keep trying to take it apart the way I take my MKII 22/45 , then remember that this is not the same pistol :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 16, 2008 1:00 pm

Decado wrote:Ordered the MKII hammer bushing so I can remove the mag junk, its very annoying to break the gun down, I keep trying to take it apart the way I take my MKII 22/45 , then remember that this is not the same pistol :lol:
If I had a Mark III, that is the first thing that I would do along with a VQ sear. Can see no need for a lawyerized so called safety device. Although I don/t take mine apart bery often, just when they need fixing.