MKII Hammer??

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

MKII Hammer??

Post by recumbent » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:35 pm

Where can I buy a new Ruger MKII hammer?

Ruger won't sell them. I want a factory hammer.

Thanks,

Bob
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:44 pm

This is the only place I've been able to find anything like an original MK11 hammer. http://tinyurl.com/2qsmwq

I ordered two of them and managed to make one good one out of the parts.
You have to order the hammer, strut and pin seperately. The hammers I received were pretty rough but can be polished up.
I put the one I was able to smooth up in a MK111 Hunter and it is doing as good a job as the original Ruger MK11 hammers I've used.
Rimfire Sports also has one for $37.95 and that would be my choice.

http://tinyurl.com/l6ckh

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Interesting exercise. Read your post and spent a good ten minutes looking around for any parts that were still available. Found a nice VQ MKII trigger in stainless, those are getting a little more rare, but no hammers. I think that I read somewhere that the MKIII hammers with an MKII bushing do the trick though. Something about the bushing riding on the "outer" edge, not in the recess cut from the hammer on the MKIII's. Maybe Bullseye knows where that post is. Weird though, about 4 months ago I needed an MKII hammer, and got it from e-gunparts.com no problem. Nothing doing this afternoon though. Maybe contact one of the aftermarket houses? Maybe VQ or Clark or one of the others has some laying around from trade-ins or something?
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:37 pm

jjfunk wrote:Interesting exercise. Read your post and spent a good ten minutes looking around for any parts that were still available. Found a nice VQ MKII trigger in stainless, those are getting a little more rare, but no hammers. I think that I read somewhere that the MKIII hammers with an MKII bushing do the trick though. Something about the bushing riding on the "outer" edge, not in the recess cut from the hammer on the MKIII's. Maybe Bullseye knows where that post is. Weird though, about 4 months ago I needed an MKII hammer, and got it from e-gunparts.com no problem. Nothing doing this afternoon though. Maybe contact one of the aftermarket houses? Maybe VQ or Clark or one of the others has some laying around from trade-ins or something?
Thanks for looking.

Bob
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:54 pm

I've put the Mark II bushings on a Mark III hammers and the head of the bushing is larger than the slot on the hammer. That makes it large enough to place the bushing in the proper orientation for use with the Mark III hammer. It works just fine that way.

The Mark II hammers are getting bought up by folks who're converting their Mark IIIs backwards to eliminate the magazine safety. Ruger reads these postings and is making the parts availability harder for owners by cutting back on the piece parts supply. They designated several internal parts as "factory only" replacements and are pressuring their suppliers to not sell to any other retailers to cut back on OEM parts availability.

R,
Bullseye

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:46 am

Smart marketing I guess, but heck I would think that the fact that we are willing to buy their new MKIII and still buy other of their OEM parts to make our pistols what we want would be a recognizeable market as well. Hmm. I wonder if anyone other than VQ has put any thought into making the hammers, disconnectors, etc. or if a huge patent suit would follow.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.