Assembly problems

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Assembly problems

Post by MicroGuy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:43 pm

I removed the magazine safety. I put a small washer in place of the safety to take up the space where it used to be. Just a small washer, hand made to fit right.

But now, after cleaning, I have a horrible time putting it back together most of the time! It's back to like it was when I first got the thing. Except I know what I'm doing now!

For some reason, it's all the problems, just one after another.

What's going on?

Before I removed it, I could put the thing back together in minutes without a single problem (from a total break down). Right now, I just spent 30 minutes trying to get the mainspring back in!

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:29 pm

I guess it might be the bushing. Have you thought about just getting one?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... NG%2c+BLUE

I got one with my last order just because and ended up giving it to a buddy who was working on these same issues. Not a bad idea to grab a few (especially when they are this cheap).
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by MicroGuy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm sure I can use one (or two). Mine has always felt like something was in there. The hammer just doesn't move as freely as I would like. Almost like there was some sort of small grit in there somewhere.

I don't see how that bushing can cause all the problems I was having though. Mostly all main spring related I guess.

I guess I could put it back the way it was and make sure it really is the mag safety that is causing it.

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by MicroGuy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:32 pm

I found out what the problem is, to a degree....

When you remove the mag "safety" items, you need TWO washers.

The problem is that the hammer now shifts on the bushing, from side to side a bit more.

So when you assemble it, you also need to make sure the piece that goes into the mainspring is now centered, and does indeed go into the mainspring.

Still seem to have a problem with the hammer though. Just doesn't seem to rotate easy enough when putting it back together.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Take a look at the trigger's overtravel stop and make sure that the hammer is clearing the sear. It may be scraping the underside of the hammer after it releases, slowing down the travel.

R,
Bullseye

MicroGuy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by MicroGuy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look at it next time I have it apart for cleaning (like tomorrow)