Extended Mag Release?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:42 pm

And if you get a Ranch Products release and want to get a free fall mag just use a round file to cut a channel in the face of the release to match the bump on the back of the mag.
The lips on either side of the channel you make in the release will keep the mag in position but won't drag on the mag when you release it and will let the mag drop free like the MK111 with all the lawyer stuff removed.
Works on my MK11 and I don't have to hit the release then drag the mag out.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:01 am

Thanks Boomer47! Hmmm, I just tried the unmodified Ranch in my MKII again and the mag jumps all the way out......onto the table out....provided I keep my thumb "outta" the way!
I don't have another MKII to compare. Did they modify the Ranch or am I missin' something?

I LIKE THIS RELEASE! :D

SD

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:24 am

Song Dawg,

Nah, you didn't miss anything. It's just that the little mod allows you to hit the release, turn it loose, and the mag drops without you having to hold the release back with a finger or thumb.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:57 am

Boomer, if you have a picture of the modification, it would be helpful to demonstrate where the modification should be made to the release.

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:40 am

Bullseye,

My camera is on the fritz and in the shop.
The mag has a full length protrusion on the back side that is about 1/4in. wide.
I filed a rounded slot to match that profile in the center of the release just deep enough that the "bump" on the mag does not touch the release at all.
The "ears" that are left on either side of the slot keeps the mag in place when inserted but once the mag floor plate clears the release when dropping the mag the ears, nor the center of the release will touch the rear of the mag and will allow it to drop free even if you release your hold on the catch.
I hope this helps. It works on mine.

R,Jack

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:31 pm

Boomer, The light finally went on! :oops: I got it now.
Thanks, that will be an improvement!

SD

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:34 pm

Song Dawg,

I wish I could do a video of the mod but it looks like you have the idea now.

As long as you are modding the MK11 there is another little thing I came up with that will keep you from having the hammer strut hang up on the sear spring pin and holding the hammer up so that the bolt won't come out when breaking the pistol down.
Drive the sear pin spring retaining pin out, tap the hole on the left side of the frame with a 4-40 tap and run in a 4-40 screw that protudes about a 1/4in. into the frame.
The sear itself, along with the threads on the screw will keep the long leg of the sear spring in place and the hammer strut won't have anything to get behind.
You will have to mill out a slight depression in the left grip to cover the head of the screw or do like I did and use a set screw and red loctite it down after screwing it in flush with the frame.
Not a really needed mod and would have to be undone if the pistol had to be sent back to Ruger for warranty but it does make the tear down on a MK11 a little easier.
There is also a little mod on the firing pin that I've used but we'll let that go for now.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:39 am

Thanks Boom!
To be perfectly candid...I've not broken down the MKII or the new MKIII yet.
Bullseye's "confidence boosters" and your cool trick can only help me and others here with the disassembly and assembly issues. I've done 1022's in my sleep...and I suppose there was a time when they were intimidating as well so at some point soon I'll address it!...I always do! :lol:

SD

sniper

Post by sniper » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:32 am

Song Dawg wrote: I LIKE THIS RELEASE! :D SD
Yer darned tootin' Ranch Products releases are a goodness! :D 8)