Ruger mk1 question

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ekaphoto

Ruger mk1 question

Post by ekaphoto » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:40 pm

I have found two locally they are 5.5 Bill barrels. One was made in 1979 the other 1973. Same condition and price.

1 Did ruger use better barrels in the mk1 vs the standard pistols

2 was either a era good or bad? I know they used Dougless barrels for a while that is why I wondered if one era was better than the other.
John

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Re: Ruger mk1 question

Post by greener » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:19 am

I don't think you will see much difference between the bull barrel and the standard barrel. I prefer bull barrels to standard. I have a 1973 standard and several with bull barrels. The standard shoots fine. I shoot the bull barrel models, especially my MK2 GC better. I think that's me.

Look at the grip frame receiver fit. One may be looser than the other. The fix is easy if there is loose fit, but I'd start with the better fit. I'd buy the one with the best bore and in the best condition. The trigger/hammer/sear/extractor can be easily replaced so I wouldn't worry about those.

If it were me and the pistols were in about the same condition and the price was right, I'd try to make a deal to buy both.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: Ruger mk1 question

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:29 pm

The big difference between the Mark I and the Standard models are the adjustable vs. fixed sights. The barrel profiles of these pistols are shaped accordingly to accommodate the sighting system of each model. Other than that they pretty much function the same.

R,
Bullseye