Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ajax polymer ivory grips for Bearcat no work

Post by ruger22 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:07 pm

http://www.cdnnsports.com/bearcat-ivory ... ltLbYvlu01

CDNN listed seven sets. I ordered two. Got 'em and placed them on the guns, Good fit, and look good, but the screw is a little too short. Went to local hardware, which actually has a small section of gun screws. It was a 3-48 screw, odd size for grips. Got home, and had to file a little off the new 1 inch screws.

Finally get both sets on my Bearcats... :D ...., and the Bearcats won't cock!.... :evil:..... A little investigation finds the hammer strut hits the grip screw. If it was a sixteenth more forward, it would be fine. Aauuuggghhh!

These were made by the original Ajax company that went under in 2009. I will guess that they would fit an OM Bearcat, but won't fit my new models ?? I didn't realize there was any real difference in the grips or fit.

I advised CDNN of the issue, suggesting they add Old Model to their description. And I'm waitng for a return number so I can send them back. They aren't open weekends........ :cry:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: Ajax polymer ivory grips for Bearcat no work

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:24 pm

How do the new ivory grips compare when lined up with the old grips? Is the mounting screw location different in the new grip?

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Ajax grip matched to factory grip, definite hole mis-match. Fitting one Ajax panel on the gun, it's obvious the screw hole is slightly to the rear and higher than the factory hole. I can cock the hammer, and the strut covers nearly half the Ajax hole. I tried both sets of Ajax on both of my Bearcats, same results. A sixteenth more forward, and a tiny bit lower would work fine.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:30 am

Contacting them would be a good idea. I'll bet they have no idea that there CNC machine program is off alignment for the grip screw hole. They should send you some new grips once they fix the program.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:09 pm

These grips were made by the old Ajax company that went under in 2009. The new company has not re-introduced Bearcat grips, so far. They're on their way back to CDNN. Not sure if they'll even fit OM Bearcats; I didn't think there was any difference in grip fit.

Ideally, I'd like a nice fitting black Micarta for both of my Bearcats, or even faux buffalo horn. I've always thought dark grips looked best on stainless guns.

My best grips so far are some perfect fitting Letts in Bolivian rosewood and fancy walnut. My "Sunday go-to-meetin'" grips.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:13 am

Based on your description the grip screw through-hole was a bit off index causing the screw to contact the hammer strut. I agree with you, it doesn't matter how good they look or fit if they cause a malfunction. Another manufacturer is the choice for an aftermarket grip.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Since I like them so much, I've went a little berserk on the Bearcats ( like some folks are with 1911's?). I've got one or more of every part except the frame, barrel, cylinder, and trigger guard. I've got five different holsters and five different grips for them. It's not like I "needed" any more grips, or anything else for them.

I figured I might as well reply, so no else is enjoying this nice new software.............. :D
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Everyone's got their own 'pet' pistol to enjoy. (I mean that term in a favorite way)

I too am enjoying this new software update.

R,
Bullseye