Passed up one SP-101 and bought another

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Passed up one SP-101 and bought another

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Looked at a SP-101 .22 with intention to buy, but Ruger QC killed it.

Great lockup, fit, finish, cylinder/barrel gap. Trigger and hammer were lighter than some I've looked at in the past. Ruger QC missed an over turned barrel, enough to clearly see. So the barrel rib leaned to the left. The front sight itself leaned to the left in relation to the rib; either bent, or the dovetail wasn't level. So the sights were doubly off to the left. I'd guess it would have shot at least two inches to the right at 25.

Disappointed, I called everywhere in the area, and no other.22 SPs.

I've ordered one through Gallery Of Guns, they had 14 in stock. I know I'm risking a sight unseen gun here, but I'll cross my fingers. I got both of my Bearcats through there, and they were fine. It should arrive Friday, I hope. It will likely get a Hogue grip and Wolff springs.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:24 am

Just another example of why one needs to check out a firearm thoroughly before finalizing a purchase.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:43 am

I am concerned about seconds, firearms with flaws making their way to the online sales and auction sites.

Once I sold a scope on an auction site, and the buyer was effusive with praise, simply because the scope that I sold him was exactly as I had described it online. - Apparently he had halfway expected to be scammed, and was overwhelmed with relief when it didn't turn out that way.

Another thing I did to trigger this response was to accurately describe the scope, a classic Unertl, but not mention that the original paperwork and sales receipt from the 1960's would come with it. The buyer was thrilled because he got a little bit more than he expected, and that made my day, too.

Good business: When both parties in a transaction walk away satisfied that they got the best end of the deal.

A good defense against quality issues is to look for places that give you a chance to send back anything that doesn't pass inspection. Dealing with merchants who have treated you right in the past is another good idea.

Bullseye has the most effective advice though, in the end you are way better off to take a look at any product before you hand over your cash.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:06 am

I've had to send three Rugers back and don't care to do it again. Whatever happened to the days when you would practically buy a new gun without even cocking it? Quality control is such a big online issue, and the maker's own figures should tell them it's a problem. I can't believe that all the returns are cheaper than making guns right on the first try, so they should care about the bottom line, too.

I would have just waited for a good example in my hand, but I'm time short on a good deal. I can do a zero interest for 18 month rollover on a credit card, and have three weeks to do it. So the new gun has to be on the card I'm going to transfer. A new Ruger at zero percent works for me....... :D
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Got a good one

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Big sigh of relief, I got a very good one. Straight barrel and front sight. Tight lockup on all eight chambers. Barrel/cylinder gap of .004. A very few tiny tool marks inside the cylinder window.

Trigger pull is tolerable, both SA and DA; I've felt worse on others I've handled. The cocking effort could definitely be better. My Wolff springs were due today by Priority Mail 2 Day, since they shipped Thursday, but they didn't make it..... :evil: .... :evil: ....... I ordered just the 14# hammer, and trigger, springs.

FWIW, the Hogue rubber grip took about five minutes, fits my hand about perfect. Rain today, I was hoping to shoot it Sunday. Thank you, Post Office.

Removed the Sentinels from my profile list, they are now on consignment at the LGS. I don't really need three DA revolvers. Now I have the hassle of unloading the Sentinel "extras" on fleabay. At least their holsters work with the SP.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:38 am

Sounds like a good buy. I keep eyeing the SP101 .22's Just haven't gotten over the buy hump yet.

Just as I was typing this, a bird slammed into the kitchen bay window and did a bit of wobbly flying. Didn't know our windows were that clean.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:15 am

The Gallery of Guns buy saved me $35 over the not so good one at the big box, $598 out the door. I'd rather give the LGS business, anyway.

The Wolff springs should be here in an hour or so. I hope they do as raved about on the various forums.

I don't understand how the one I passed up had an at least 20% better hammer pull than the one I bought. The SA and DA trigger pulls felt about the same. I'd guess a variation in the factory hammer springs. If I had both guns, and put in the same Wolffs, they'd likely be the same then (?).

I'll owe a post on they feel installed in the one.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:45 am

I think they sent the wrong hammer spring. It was twice the length of the factory spring, and a bear to install. I had to use two nylon wiring ties to compress it enough to get the seat on. This is supposed to be a 14 pound spring. I put 18 pounders in my Bearcats with my bare fingers.

With the gun cocked, it's compressed about 99% and I feel very little improvement. I still have an extremely hard to cock SP-101.

The kit is on eBay, and the photos don't match what I got, so I emailed Wolff as whether they could have gotten the wrong spring in the right package.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Got a Wolff email to call Dave. Dave said they goofed. He said he will check a full assortment of springs for me and send them no charge.

That is great customer service. And a relief that it wasn't the right spring leaving my gun so stiff....... :)
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Wolff is a good group.

R,