Ruger Mk III Hunter sights

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ruger Mk III Hunter sights

Post by charlesb » Tue May 05, 2015 9:30 pm

I have removed the scope from my Hunter, wanting to use iron sights.

The front sight I have now is off of a Marlin model 60 semi-auto rifle .22, the sights interchange perfectly and now I have a square post up front instead of a day-glo bead.

Now I have to deal with the V-notch rear sight, hopefully replacing it with a square notch.

What would be the best way to approach this? Is there a factory part that I can simply interchange?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:50 pm

Yes, Ruger has a replacement rear blade that is square. At one time they would send it to you free, contact them and see.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 06, 2015 6:01 pm

I also have self help rear blade instructions on this page~ http://guntalk-online.com/2245detailstr ... sightblade

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed May 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Will sight blades for the Mk I and Mk II fit the MK III?

I ask because all of the parts at Brownells say MK I and Mk II.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 14, 2015 5:59 am

Yes, the sight base is the same for all of the generations of Ruger .22 Auto pistols, unless you have the earliest version of the Mark I which came with a Micro sight.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu May 14, 2015 12:34 pm

I sure am glad that you posted about the sight instructions, Bullseye. Without that I bet it would have been a bit of a head-scratcher, getting it all together.

I'm ordering a couple of sight blades today, narrow and wide.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 16, 2015 1:52 am

When I added that into the web-help pages, I was very disappointed at the lack of clear instructions available to folks who wanted to replace their rear sight blades. I'm glad you found it useful.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu May 21, 2015 10:04 pm

The new sight blades came in today. I was pretty sure that the narrow notch model would be best - and it was, but I ordered the wide one too so it and my old V-notch went into my sight box.

I'm using the front sight from a Marlin model 60 22lr autoloader. It swaps out directly with the original Ruger front sight, same size screw and everything.

Will post a picture later, it's raining so I couldn't try it out, have been indoors building a Windows 10 computer all day. Am beta-testing the new OS, it hasn't been released yet.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:03 am

A friend of mine that I do computer support on son installed it on his mom's computer. It locked up the computer so bad I had to restore the HD from an image backup. So have fun with MS beta software... :shock:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat May 23, 2015 8:37 am

I'm hoping to get out and adjust the sights on the Mk III Hunter today, in-between rain showers. Oddly enough, the summer is the rainy season in West Texas. - We had a rainy winter though this year, so spring has been magnificent... All of the plants and critters breeding like mad, the desert green.

Win10 is a good bet for Win8 owners, being a major improvement over that, but I wouldn't upgrade to it from Win7, which is still the best effort so far.

In the long run, Win10 will make a better game machine - but it's got a ways to go before it gets there. At this point, not enough third-party outfits have stepped up to the plate with drivers for their hardware.

Windows Vista is light-years ahead of any Linux distribution that I have tested, so far. I use Ubuntu LT and Puppy Linux for some tasks, but the list of things that they excel at is very limited, indeed.

Most Linux aficionados will put up with some of the worst software known to mankind, and pretend that it is great in order to to avoid using Windows - because MS and Bill Gates made money with it.

I have no sympathy for anti-capitalist PCBS... The enemies of freedom are the enemies of humanity.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu May 28, 2015 10:52 pm

I finally got out to the shooting range, and sighted in the MkIII Hunter with it's new blade front sight and square notch rear sight.

After it was sighted in, I blew through 50 rounds plinking at small stones, empty shotgun hulls, and I even took a few shots at the steel silhouettes at 100 yards.

There was a guy at the pistol range doing that kind of shooting where you stand ten or fifteen feet from the target, and there was nobody at the rifle range, so I did all of my shooting over there, mostly at 25 yards.

The pistol came with a glowing bead type front sight, and a V-notch rear sight... I never could warm up to those. Most of mt pistol shooting has been bullseye matches, so the traditional sights work best for me.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Sat May 30, 2015 10:19 am

I've had a Hunter for 6-7 years and I've never really liked their fiber optic sight. I've either used a red dot or fussed with the sight. I have a MKII GC, essentially the same pistol that had the blade front. It was a lot better and I shoot it more often and more accurately. A while back, I changed the front sight on the GC to a Dawson Precision Fiber Optic sight. The DP sight has a small pipe and fits with the square notch back blade.

I think it's time I finally got a round tuit and fixed the Hunter. I bet it will shoot better if I do something about the front sight.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Sat May 30, 2015 10:37 am

charlesb wrote:In the long run, Win10 will make a better game machine - but it's got a ways to go before it gets there. At this point, not enough third-party outfits have stepped up to the plate with drivers for their hardware.

Windows Vista is light-years ahead of any Linux distribution that I have tested, so far. I use Ubuntu LT and Puppy Linux for some tasks, but the list of things that they excel at is very limited, indeed.

Most Linux aficionados will put up with some of the worst software known to mankind, and pretend that it is great in order to to avoid using Windows - because MS and Bill Gates made money with it.

I have no sympathy for anti-capitalist PCBS... The enemies of freedom are the enemies of humanity.
Have you tried one of the previews of W10? I've had a couple of W7 (Vista Upgrade) desktops that have worked pretty well and a W8.1 laptop that I appear to have fried looking at how the memory was installed. I didn't like W8.1 on the laptop and figured it would work better with a touchscreen. I replaced the fried laptop with an HP touchscreen. Turns out I hardly use the touchscreen. If I wanted a computer that acted like a tablet I'd use my tablet. The HP touchscreen has a number of components (biometric sensor, LEEP motion) that don't work too well with W8.1.

I also have my daughter's laptop that died and I resurrected that has W7 and not much else on it. I thought about giving W10 a try on it. Wonder if it is worth it.

30 years ago, we bought some HP PC's at work. I took one home to (play)learn. It was a touchscreen. Great for playing solitaire. Now I have the "latest" in HP technology, a computer with a touchscreen. Maybe I ought to try solitaire.