New Guy Hello to All

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:50 am

I agree the cover wouldn't need to be overly thick, but it would need to be thick enough to support a dovetail slot for the rear sight and resist flexing under recoil stresses. You could add a full-length piece of metal to those mounting screws like a Bo-Mar rib or Marvel sight rail. A Marvel .22 conversion uses a lightweight aluminum rib over the top of the length of the pistol. It just screws down onto the barrel and has all the iron sight components mounted to it. With a rib you wouldn't have an excessively tall front sight either as the front sight height would be also elevated at its base by the rib.

ImageImage

This is a photo of one that Bo-Mar used to make for the M-41 7" barrel.

R,
Bullseye

Vectorxw8

Post by Vectorxw8 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Bullseye wrote:I agree the cover wouldn't need to be overly thick, but it would need to be thick enough to support a dovetail slot for the rear sight and resist flexing under recoil stresses. You could add a full-length piece of metal to those mounting screws like a Bo-Mar rib or Marvel sight rail. A Marvel .22 conversion uses a lightweight aluminum rib over the top of the length of the pistol. It just screws down onto the barrel and has all the iron sight components mounted to it. With a rib you wouldn't have an excessively tall front sight either as the front sight height would be also elevated at its base by the rib.

ImageImage

This is a photo of one that Bo-Mar used to make for the M-41 7" barrel.

R,
Bullseye
Now were talking! That could be very well what I have been thinking about. Even if I had to drill and tap another hole or 2 I think that would work. Thanks much Bullseye. Now I need to track one down. Thanks again, Scott

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:34 am

Bo-Mar is long since out of business but you may be able to find an old one of their sight rails for the M-41 on the auction boards, they are rare so expect to pay top dollar if you do find one; you do already have two other M-41 barrels with the iron sights already mounted. These barrels do just swap out in a matter of seconds. Another possibility is to contact Al Marvel at Marvel Custom Guns, he makes full-length scope rails, without sights, for several models that emulate the style of the old Bo-Mars. He may be able to custom tailor one of them for your particular situation. Champion sights are made in the style of the old Bo-Mar adjustable target sights. Champ sights and could be fitted to this rail for the iron sight component of your rail.

Here is the contact info for Al: [email protected]

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:13 pm

For a rear sight, I'd make a cantilever affair that bolts to the picatinny rail screw holes, going back over the slide to the rear, where the rear sight would be located.

It might be possible to make a thin washer that goes between the barrel and the compensator, and mount a front sight blade to that.

Just brain-storming, sometimes my brain doesn't work too good, though.

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:50 am

Just maybe the sights for a 422 would do for the M41. See Precision Sales International http://www.precisionsalesintl.com/Product/tpu23sm.html

This one fits a dovetail. You'd still have to put a front sight on that barrel. It almost sounds as though you'd have to set front and rear sights in a rail.

Looks like it was set up for a red dot sight. Find one of the less expensive ones and try it. I've got a couple Bushnell red dots that work very well. I keep shooting with iron sights, but at my age, my eyes don't work quite as well as they did. I shoot a lot better with the red dots.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

A bit late but

Post by Yleefox » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:50 am

WELCOME to the forum!!

Vectorxw8

Thanks to all for the input

Post by Vectorxw8 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 pm

As it happens sometimes fate entered into my project. I came across a 1" red dot sight with mounts, 3 spare batteries, flip up lens covers, filters, the whole 9 yards in the original box for $80.00. Because the way the barrel is made the 2 mounts can only hold the front of it. So it does extend over the end. It does sit a little high but their is nothing I can do about that and for $80.00 it's a bunch cheaper than I would need to pay a gunsmith to mount a sight.. Scott

[img][img]http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae264/Vectorxw8/2015-05-15%2010.50.03b_zpskxo3jlx6.jpg[/img][/img]

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Picking up an Ultra Dot scope for $80 is quite a good find. They can handle having two mounts on a single side of the tube. You can mount them that way for larger caliber, higher recoil power, so having in this configuration on a .22 pistol is just fine. You should like that set-up very well. Have fun!

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Very nice find.